• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak

BenedictGomez

I'd say start with Bushwaker off the Metro Quad at Jay. Its a blue, lower angle and pretty open. The trees get a little tighter together towards the left and the right sides when you feel a little more comfortable. Once you feel good about being in the trees there, try the Beaver Pond Glade. If it looks a little scary dropping in at the trail sign, just continue down Ullr's Dream a little ways and then cut in. The entrance by the trail sign is probably the steepest part.

While Bushwaker is the perfect tree skiing practice ground, I would not have a beginner step up from there to Beaver Pond Glade, that would likely result in sheer misery. Much better choices for learners would be something like Bonaventure Glade or Showoff Glade, or even Expo Glade.

BenedictGomez

I am thinking of getting up there Thursday if it's not raining. Let me know how bad of a hit they took in terms of iciness, coverage, and all that. Looks good from here!

I was there yesterday (Sunday), there's lots of snow. Around 2:15pm Sunday it started lightly drizzling and was continuing until I left at 3:30, which made the snow very grabby. I have to imagine that all froze into the snowpack, probably making for icy trails and icy glades. Conditions were really fantastic though, at least before the refreeze, so it's a terrible shame.

Also, the Flyer was shutdown at 12:45 for some annoying reason, which really throws a monkey-wrench into skiing the place, and I see from the report today that they're shutting down Bonaventure Quad for a few days (below) to make snow on Northway, which makes absolutely no sense to me. Made me think of that, phantom lift closings at Jay Peak discussion on here recently.

Snow Making crews are prepping to start their next run in the Mixing Bowl area of Northway. They'll be there until tomorrow afternoon, or until sufficiently buried. With this trail closed, the Bonaventure Quad will be closed for the next two days as well.

crank

We have stayed in Newport a few times when skiing Jay. Not a bad drive. Lago Trattoria is a really great restaurant.

Jcb890

I was there yesterday (Sunday), there's lots of snow. Around 2:15pm Sunday it started lightly drizzling and was continuing until I left at 3:30, which made the snow very grabby. I have to imagine that all froze into the snowpack, probably making for icy trails and icy glades. Conditions were really fantastic though, at least before the refreeze, so it's a terrible shame.

Also, the Flyer was shutdown at 12:45 for some annoying reason, which really throws a monkey-wrench into skiing the place, and I see from the report today that they're shutting down Bonaventure Quad for a few days (below) to make snow on Northway, which makes absolutely no sense to me. Made me think of that, phantom lift closings at Jay Peak discussion on here recently.
Wait, you're saying Flyer went down for unknown reasons? Did the Tram run? Ugh... don't get me started! :lol:

Jay will not only close entire trails to make snow, but will close entire lifts. I don't know of other mountains that do that regularly. Mt. Snow and Killington for example, will blow on trails which are open and blow under chairs which are open.

machski

Have you ever skied or rode Jay Snowmaking? If you had, that would explain it. Another factor is on many trails without mounted guns, Jay tends to pull hose out into the trails more than other resorts, which becomes a hazard.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

crank

We were talking abut staying in Newport earlier. It is a 20 or 25 minute drive to Jay. However, Jay would not be my first choice nor even 5th on a super busy weekend when there are crappy conditions for reasons of both crowds and conditions there are better places to go this coming weekend.

Cheap and decententish in Newport, VT: http://newportcityinn.com/#

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Crank, or others, where would you go? We love Sunday River but want something different. I have a dog sitter all weekend so am packed and ready to go. Jay has long been my dream. I feel N VT is the place to go based on rain Sunday and the weather this week. This is my only free weekend until April.

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Update, found a ski house to sleep. Now, do we hit Jay or another mountain. I don't want to over analyze this but...how super crowded will Jay be? I did Killington last Feb. vacation weekend and we did fine. Hit Ramshead, went up and stayed mid mountain all day.

BenedictGomez

Update, found a ski house to sleep. Now, do we hit Jay or another mountain. I don't want to over analyze this but...how super crowded will Jay be? I did Killington last Feb. vacation weekend and we did fine. Hit Ramshead, went up and stayed mid mountain all day.

Every year is different, but generally speaking Jay wont be that crowded PDW Friday or PDW Monday. PDW Saturday will likely be obnoxious. Sunday wont be quite as bad as Saturday.

It's tough to say how many people will be scared off from skiing this weekend due to the weather though, so as I said, every year is different. I'll be making a go/no-go n.VT decision later in the week.

MG Skier

caribchakita: Jay will be busy that weekend, you can count on it! (It is one of the few weekends the stars align and I can get a few days skiing in back to back, so I choose to go. I also don't ski all day long when I stay up there, 4-6 hours each day tops depending upon how much tree skiing/moguls I do.)
Skip the Tram. Avoid the Flyer (the only high speed detachable lift) unless using the single line (if that line isn't too bad.) Jet and Bonnie fixed grip lifts will get you to plenty of terrain while avoiding the Flyer. My $.02. That is how I do Jay when it is really busy. I mean no disrespect to the lifts and or mountain, it is what it is. Two years ago this coming weekend was super busy! I remember the line at the Flyer......Last of all when it is busy, duck into the woods.

I hem an haw too when I get a day to ski (or 2). I hear ya!

Grizzly Adams

Jay is going to be a mad house this weekend - Monday is a holiday for the US and Canada, and it's the one of the only resorts not slated for that dreaded r-word later this week.

That being said, I will still be out there ripping nothing but hardwoods. Single's Line Flyer Laps all day. Catch me at the top of Dre's for a safety meeting... or better yet, I'll buy you a Switchy at the Bullwheel if you pick me up from the Dip :beer:

And, not that anyone asked, but for the record: I'm with Tuna - Jay > Stowe... You guys can talk about the trails/terrain all you want, but the snowfall totals don't lie - 491" > 375". the fact of the matter is that the Jay Cloud cranks harder than most mountains in the US - Put that in your gondola and smoke it.

MG Skier

Yup, just the Flyer is detachable, you can take your board off on the Tram :p. Bonnie and Jet move along fine, but stay the same speed loading/traveling/unloading.

crank

Burke or one of the Eastern Township areas like Sutton or Orford might be good for holiday weekend crowd avoidance. The usual suspects like Stowe, Okemo, Sunape for more extensive grooming and snowmaking but will come with crowds.