• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kashmir... Feb 2009

dmc

A friend of mine is enticing me to go on a trip to Kashmir to do a week of inbounds and cat skiing....

hmmmmmm...... I really want to go... I'd stop by and see him in Dubai - maybe make some inside turns.. then head to Deli... then to Kashmir... It actually works out to be cheap...

Kashmir Georgy?]

JerseyJoey

A friend of mine is enticing me to go on a trip to Kashmir to do a week of inbounds and cat skiing....

hmmmmmm...... I really want to go... I'd stop by and see him in Dubai - maybe make some inside turns.. then head to Deli... then to Kashmir... It actually works out to be cheap...

Kashmir Georgy?]

Do it. Just do it my man.

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream
I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been
To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen
They talk of days for which they sit and wait and all will be revealed

dmc

Sure don't know what I'm goin' for...
But I'm gonna go for it for sure...

JerseyJoey

Sure don't know what I'm goin' for...
But I'm gonna go for it for sure...

Exactly dude. Go for it.

Never could read no road map
And I don't know what the weather might do,
But hear that witch wind whinin'
0 See that Dog Star's shinin',
I've got a feelin' there's no time to lose,
No time to lose!

SkiingInABlueDream

Kashmir Georgy?]

Gulmarg? [edit: oops, nevermind. Id go.]
Can you afford it (looks like yes)
Are you spooked by political unrest in the region (only you can answer that)
Turkey, ham or roast beef?

dmc

Gulmarg? [edit: oops, nevermind. Id go.]
Can you afford it (looks like yes)
Are you spooked by political unrest in the region (only you can answer that)
Turkey, ham or roast beef?

$1300 round trip air (passing through Dubai)...

Not really spooked by the political unrest..

smootharc

Was thinking about Gulmarg for Jan 2008.

So, in November '07 I e-mailed my wife with the idea....and about 3 minutes later an e-mail arrived from her with a link to the US State Department travel advisories for Kashmir. End of discussion. Last winter Powder, Ski, and everybody seemed to have a Gulmarg report. Sounds wild and awesome.

So....it was the Chugach last March, instead. No government warnings about Alaska....and Tina Fey (and most of us) hadn't even heard of a certain AK politician yet...

kingslug

So, in November '07 I e-mailed my wife with the idea....and about 3 minutes later an e-mail arrived from her with a link to the US State Department travel advisories for Kashmir. End of discussion. Last winter Powder, Ski, and everybody seemed to have a Gulmarg report. Sounds wild and awesome.

So....it was the Chugach last March, instead. No government warnings about Alaska....and Tina Fey (and most of us) hadn't even heard of a certain AK politician yet...

Aleyeska is over 300 inches so far. And me..I wouldn't travel in those parts right now. Alaska might be in the cards though.

SkiDork

Ever see the show "Locked up Abroad"?? That show makes me not want to travel ANYWHERE. Scary stuff...

dmc

Ever see the show "Locked up Abroad"?? That show makes me not want to travel ANYWHERE. Scary stuff...

yeah... I hear ya... But I've been doing a ton of international travel for work so I'm pretty used to all the stuff you gotta deal with.. And because I travel so much i know people all over the place now..

Wildest thing was walking into the airport in Taiwan.. They have a heat scanner that you walk through and if it looks like you have a fever... they pull you out of the line..

i have to go to Frankfurt next month.. Going to take a couple days and take a train to Amsterdam and Brussels... Should be pretty wild...