• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 4/9-4/10

loafer89

I just returned from my first father and son ski trip without my wife at Killington. We choose Killington based on the amount of terrain still open and because Snowshed and Rams Head both have good learning/practicing terrain for my son.

We started the day on saturday at 8:30am with our first run down Snowshed which had firm groomed granular snow and good cover except under the HSQ, where there was very little snow left. We continued to ski down Northbrook, which was thin and narrow in spots. I took Warren on a run down Cruise Control back to the Needles Eye Express, and we did that run again, but cut over to the K-1 on Snowshed Crossover.

We skied Great Northern to the bottom of the K-1 and then skied Great Eastern to Falls Brook at Bear Mountain. We made our way back to Snowshed again via 4-Way and Snowshed Crossover.

Basically the day was spent skiing the long green cruising/traversing trails until the afternoon when we skied Header, Timberline Terrain Park and Swirl on Rams Head.

Sunday was spent skiing the tougher parts of Killington as I put my son in a group lesson from 8:30am to 12:30 pm. I skied Header at Rams Head which had beautiful groomed corn snow, followed by a run down Snowdon on Bunny Buster and on to the K-1 to ski Cascade, which also was groomed out past where the old double chair mid-station was. Downdraft had good cover with huge mouguls, but the Cascade runout is very thin with lots of large puddles by the Canyon Quad.

Superstar has good base depths that are about as high as the HSQ about half way up, Skye Lark also has deep base depths. I skied Devil's Fiddle which has enormous bumps and a large horizontal bare area about half way down the trail that you can side-step over. Needles Eye was nice with soft corn moguls.

Rime was ungroomed and not all that fun to ski, but East Glade had nice bumps with some thin and icy patches, but not bad for a natural snow trail.

I posted some pictures in the gallery from this weekend.