• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington is going to open before Sunday River this season.

drjeff

I think I've learned more about various wood products from this thread than I ever thought possible/cared to know! :lol:

Puck it

I think I've learned more about various wood products from this thread than I ever thought possible/cared to know! :lol:

Left off the OSB oriented strand board. Not to be confused with chipboard.

istockphoto_2935243-osb-oriented-strand-board-hi-res.jpg

Vortex

Timberline Announces Season Opening!Get ready skiers and riders… this Friday, October 1st will mark the opening of the ski and snowboard season at Timberline! Late spring storms and focused summer grooming and maintenance of the Palmer Snowfield have provided a great level of snow above 7,000 feet.

We’ll be operating our Magic Mile and Palmer Chairs on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays through October (weather/conditions permitting). We’ll look to open more lifts as soon as the snow starts to fall and we can build a base on the lower mountain. And with the current La Nina forecast, all fingers are crossed that this will happen sooner rather than later!

All 2010-11 Timberline Full Winter Season Passes, including the Mt. Hood Fusion Pass, will be valid starting October 1st. You can purchase your Mt. Hood Fusion Pass at the mountain, or at Portland area REI stores on Saturdays & Sundays during the month of October. For more information, visit www.mthoodfusionpass.com.

Daily lift tickets will be available at reduced pricing until we have more lifts available to ride:

Adult (18-64) – $48
Teen (15-17) – $40
Junior (7-14) – $35
Senior (65-70) – $35

Please remember, the Palmer Snowfield is recommended for advanced intermediate and above skill level only, and downloading on the Magic Mile lift is required during the early season.

We’re looking forward to the longest snow season in

Highway Star

Timberline Announces Season Opening!Get ready skiers and riders… this Friday, October 1st will mark the opening of the ski and snowboard season at Timberline! Late spring storms and focused summer grooming and maintenance of the Palmer Snowfield have provided a great level of snow above 7,000 feet.

We’ll be operating our Magic Mile and Palmer Chairs on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays through October (weather/conditions permitting). We’ll look to open more lifts as soon as the snow starts to fall and we can build a base on the lower mountain. And with the current La Nina forecast, all fingers are crossed that this will happen sooner rather than later!

All 2010-11 Timberline Full Winter Season Passes, including the Mt. Hood Fusion Pass, will be valid starting October 1st. You can purchase your Mt. Hood Fusion Pass at the mountain, or at Portland area REI stores on Saturdays & Sundays during the month of October. For more information, visit www.mthoodfusionpass.com.

Daily lift tickets will be available at reduced pricing until we have more lifts available to ride:

Adult (18-64) – $48
Teen (15-17) – $40
Junior (7-14) – $35
Senior (65-70) – $35

Please remember, the Palmer Snowfield is recommended for advanced intermediate and above skill level only, and downloading on the Magic Mile lift is required during the early season.

We’re looking forward to the longest snow season in

Timberline =/= Sunday River.

Vortex

just thought it was fun the season was upon us. here is the full story if you want, it does mention eastern resorts as well.

Which ski resort will open first?
September, 28, 2010 Sep 2807:09PM ETEmail Print Comment By Megan Michelson

Courtesy of Loveland
Loveland started making snow last Friday with hopes of opening by mid October.
Full story »

Skiers, place your bets. Oregon's Timberline Ski Area has announced that they're opening two chairlifts on Friday, October 1, thanks to summertime grooming on the Palmer Snowfiled. Meanwhile, Loveland, Colorado, began making snow over the weekend in preparation for a heated contest to become the first ski resort in the country to open. Loveland and neighboring Arapahoe Basin have gone head to head for the victory for the last 10 years.

But there are underdogs to consider as well: California's Mammoth or Boreal, Maine's Sunday River or Sugarloaf, Utah's Brighton or Solitude, and even the Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort all stand a chance at first place.

Who do you think will win?

Full story »

Share5 Retweet1
Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted

full linc

http://espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/blog/_/post/5627156/which-ski-resort-open-first?as

Last edited:

mister moose

just thought it was fun the season was upon us. here is the full story if you want, it does mention eastern resorts as well.

Which ski resort will open first?
September, 28, 2010 Sep 2807:09PM ETEmail Print Comment By Megan Michelson

But there are underdogs to consider as well: California's Mammoth or Boreal, Maine's Sunday River or Sugarloaf, Utah's Brighton or Solitude, and even the Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort all stand a chance at first place.

Where's the Beast?

wheres_the_beast.jpg

Highway Star

Bump.....lots of rumors this weekend about a Oct. 23rd opening. The walkway looks pretty good so far and the bar grate for the stairs is on it's way.

It's so funny to hear everyone pick an opening day. Opening will be 1or 2 days after they start making snow. It is up to the weather to pick that day. I am just glad that it should be sometime this month because of the "wood" stairs.

Riverskier

It's so funny to hear everyone pick an opening day. Opening will be 1or 2 days after they start making snow. It is up to the weather to pick that day. I am just glad that it should be sometime this month because of the "wood" stairs.

I agree. It is amusing to hear people talk about planned opening days in October. Goals are great, but it is impossible to actually plan an opening date this time of year. Mother Nature holds all the cards.

Not sure where I read this, but I think it was a quote from the mountain (again, not sure about this part), that Killington would start making snow when the forecast held at least 72 hours of consecutive snowmaking weather with temps in the 20's. If they are really holding out for a forecast that optimal, it could be a very disapointing Fall for many Killington skiers. Sunday River can and will open with 36 hours of consecutive snowmaking, and are not afraid to make snow at night when they know they will have to shut the guns off during the day. Kind of what you have to do to open in October most years.

Greg

Staff member
Not sure where I read this, but I think it was a quote from the mountain (again, not sure about this part), that Killington would start making snow when the forecast held at least 72 hours of consecutive snowmaking weather with temps in the 20's. If they are really holding out for a forecast that optimal, it could be a very disapointing Fall for many Killington skiers. Sunday River can and will open with 36 hours of consecutive snowmaking, and are not afraid to make snow at night when they know they will have to shut the guns off during the day. Kind of what you have to do to open in October most years.

That 72 hours sounds about right, especially when they used to aim for top to bottom. However, if they truly plan to hammer the glades and open just the top, they could probably offer more terrain than Sunday River with a 36 hour window.

Riverskier

That 72 hours sounds about right, especially when they used to aim for top to bottom. However, if they truly plan to hammer the glades and open just the top, they could probably offer more terrain than Sunday River with a 36 hour window.

I agree, but I think I read that they were waiting for a 72 hour window this season before they start making snow. I could be wrong about that though, and even if they said it, it doesn't make it set in stone. Even at 3000 feet it can easily be well into November before you see a window like that.

The fact is, 9 times out of 10 Killington can open sooner and expand faster than Sunday River given their HUGE elevation advantage. However, Sunday River has proven that they are committed to opening as soon as possible, and that they are willing to make snow with a less than optimal forecast and under less than optimal conditions. Killington has not. I guess time will tell whether they trully are committed to early season skiing and perhaps even being the first in the East to open, or whether, like Geoff suggested, they are just hedging their bets against being closed for Thanksgiving again.

bvibert

Staff member
I guess time will tell whether they trully are committed to early season skiing and perhaps even being the first in the East to open, or whether, like Geoff suggested, they are just hedging their bets against being closed for Thanksgiving again.

That is the question of the season. I suspect that we'll know for sure a few weeks from now. Personally I'm hoping for the former, but could see it going either way.

Riverskier

That is the question of the season. I suspect that we'll know for sure a few weeks from now. Personally I'm hoping for the former, but could see it going either way.

I hope they go for it too. My first day will be at Sunday River regardless, but I think competition is good. It will interesting watching this unfold..... One thing is for sure, if they don't push for an early opening, there will be K bashing threads of epic proportion!

Highway Star

Have to wonder how serious they are........hummmm. Snowmaking this weekend...? Jib park on Rime?

Tonight: Rain likely, mainly after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. Northeast wind 5 to 9 mph becoming southeast. Winds could gust as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Wednesday: Rain. High near 48. East wind around 9 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Wednesday Night: Rain. Low around 45. North wind at 6 mph becoming south. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Thursday: A chance of showers, mainly before 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 48. West wind between 8 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 30. West wind 10 to 16 mph becoming southeast.

Friday: A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny and breezy, with a high near 56. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 30.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 47.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 24.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 52.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 29.

Columbus Day: Sunny, with a high near 57.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 35.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 55.

Highway Star

Oh, and in all seriousness, it looks like they have a pretty reasonable 12 hour window this saturday night:

Plotter.php

skiadikt

Oh, and in all seriousness, it looks like they have a pretty reasonable 12 hour window this saturday night:

they're not gonna turn on the guns for 12 hrs. they've said they're looking for a 3 day window. that "could" come the following weekend-borderline at best. but really unless we get some fluke cold spell, i don't see them looking to get serious about base building until the 20-25.

millerm277

they're not gonna turn on the guns for 12 hrs. they've said they're looking for a 3 day window. that "could" come the following weekend-borderline at best. but really unless we get some fluke cold spell, i don't see them looking to get serious about base building until the 20-25.

Especially not since the ground is still quite warm.