• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington: May 7, 2006 (Trailboss Earns His Turns!)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, May 7, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Killington Mountain Resort. Trail(s) Hiked and Skied: Outer Limits

Conditions: 75 percent of Outer Limits was skiable in two sections: Upper Headwall and Lower Section. Divided only by a 50 foot strip of grass. SC Corn! :D Weather: Sunny Skies, slight breeze, temps in the 60's.

Trip Report: After leaving my Con Law final on Thursday, I began to think of a short study break for this sunny weekend. I originally thought about a short hike. Sunapee maybe. And then I thought, "hmmm, bet there is still some snow up there." And that became, "why not hike for some turns? That would be fun!" :beer: I have been spoiled by lift serviced skiing, but hell, I hike and have the equipment and always wanted to try earning turns to expand the season. So I decided to go ahead.

The original game plan was for Saturday. I got the skis strapped on my new bag and then got the stuff into the car. I hesitated a bit--the skies were ominous and it was a bit later than planned (11:30 am or so). Just as I was stepping into the car, Ms. Trailboss called me from the road (she was on the way to CT).

"I'm in Springfield, VT. It is raining." :( So I decided to bag it and wait for Sunday. Glad I did.

Sunday I made the drive to Bear Mountain. 32 miles and 40 mins. Not bad! Almost the same distance as getting to Sunapee for us. I pulled into the drive and parked by the gate. There were about half-a-dozen cars parked in the road and I could see some folks climbing up Outer Limits--which was about 75 percent skiable :eek: :D

After crossing the lots, I got to the lodge and booted up. Met K-Zoner Phantom and learned that the skiing was great.

"That upper headwall has some great snow. Good runs."

I thanked him and began my climb. There was a well-boot packed trail on the right--I found that the hiking part was a bit easier than I was expecting. Thanks to the snow, I could wear my ski boots right up the slope. After about 40 mins or so, and some stops, I found myself on the steepest part of the run. I talked to Mtn Man, Tree Rat, and another guy from Killington Zone. Sitting at the top of the patch of snow, precariously balancing myself on the slope, I shared the view and some chatting with Lisa, a Killington local. Her dog Otis was friendly. She strapped on her board and hit the snow--it was corn and I was excited to start.

After she was out of sight, I carefully laid my skis against the steep fall line and stepped in. My first few turns, on the steepest part, was one hell of a warm up. Very steep pitch but soft snow. I got into the groove and was hooting all the way down to the grass strip.

Next run was on the same headwall though just below the very top of the snow. I again chatted with Lisa and then set off down the snow staying to skier's right. Soft corn and settled bumps. When I got to the grass, I shuffled across it and stepped in.

The lower patch was longer but not as steep. I headed to skier's right, hitting some untracked soft corn. Perfect for hero turns. I skied most of this patch before heading back up the trail for one more. I was accompanied by a guy with FOUR Golden Retrievers :blink: that liked to slide on their backs headfirst down the snow and fight with each other. They provided great entertainment while sitting at the top of this patch. After some more conversation with the few folks sitting at the top, I headed down staying to the middle. This patch of snow was deep and almost edge-to-edge! At the bottom, I passed some jibbers who had moved a rail and were jamming.

I got out of the bindings and headed to the lodge to put back on the hiking boots. I scouted out the base area and walked to Devil's Fiddle base. Not much snow there.

Satisfied, I headed back to my car. Four runs, about 2000 vert or so. Some great laid back runs and conversation. Lots of fun. :beer:

About 20 people at the area during the afternoon total. A few folks were down at the access road with cameras observing the fun! This made my season seven months thus far and 43 days. :D

Pictures coming soon....

Tyrolean_skier

Trailboss, glad you enjoyed your turns on OL. Wish I could have been there along with MtnMan, Phantom and Treerat. Unfortunately, my kids' sports activities must take precedence now. Of course, watching them enjoy themselves makes it worthwhile. Heard from MtnMan earlier that Lisa was there too and that she asked where I was. We always seems to meet up in early season and late season when we hike. You are lucky that you live close to the mountains and can be there in less than an hour.

skiadikt

tb, great job. wish we coulda been there also. next time we're up is memorial when i doubt there'll be anything left. gotta say the earned turns i had on outer limits and double dipper this spring were amongst the best turns i had all year at k. gotta love perfect corn.

Vortex

Glad you had fun. Not worthy of a trip report. I hike lower Picked Rock at Loon for a few runs on Sat and watched the Huck and Hike with My son. Lower picked and Angel st are the only areas left that turns could be put together for any decent stretch.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
TB, sorry I missed you, I was over on Cascade most of the day, and then at Superstar after that. Funny thing... I met Lisa and Otis too. Otis wanted some of the burgers we were cooking on the grill but we were too hungry to share. I'll post my TR soon.

Greg

Staff member
Very cool. Looking forward to the pics!

thetrailboss

Staff member
The folks at Killington Zone just posted this picture of Outer Limits, taken probably today. The upper patch I discuss in my report is on the very top. It extended all the way past Tower 10. The lower patch is considerably wider and longer as you can see and the photo does not do justice as to the vert or the length:

photo_1.jpg

Photo is courtesy of Basin Ski Shop.

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
The folks at Killington Zone just posted this picture of Outer Limits, taken probably today. The upper patch I discuss in my report is on the very top. It extended all the way past Tower 10. The lower patch is considerably wider and longer as you can see and the photo does not do justice as to the vert or the length:

photo_1.jpg

Photo is courtesy of Basin Ski Shop.
Yeah yeah yeah. But where are your pics? ;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
nice earned turns TB. as i mentioned in marc's thread, the superstar photo shows very similar snow to my earned turns on SS last year on may 29th. really shows how much less snow kmart made this year.

BeanoNYC

TB, remember the discussion we had with YardSaleDad trying to explain the wideness and steepness of OL? This is a perfect example for him with the contrast of dirt and snow. Where are you YSD?

thetrailboss

Staff member
My pictures have been entered. Here they are and they can be seen in my new Winter 2006 Album.

Bear Mountain from the Road:

KILLINGTON_May_7_2006.jpg

The Great View from the Top of the Upper Patch:

OUTER_LIMITS_TOP_May_7_2006.jpg

And Looking Up the Trail from Midway:

MID_OUTER_LIMITS_May_7_2006.jpg