• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

Newpylong

Yep, it was one of my favorites, was super bummed. They used to make snow on the top too prior to the park.

They have so many acres banked with the abandonment of Juggernaut ideally I would like to see them cut another run and a half next to Timberline and move the Stash and Dreammaker parks over there so it's all together, in tandem with replacing the quad > 6. It's not like the Squeeze Play glade is worth it anymore there with all of the Mt. Biking carnage. Well I mean ideally, I would like to see a new lift go back to the top of the peak too, but that's wishful thinking.

That would give you quite a good long run from the top of Skye Peak: Gateway to Stash to Skyeburst. Also Dreammaker back to a full length cruiser, which they lack.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
. It's not like the Squeeze Play glade is worth it anymore there with all of the Mt. Biking carnage, exposure, low elevation, little kids everywhere, the stream that never freezes anymore, and 5 years worth of tree debris that's never been cleared out. Well I mean ideally, I would like to see a new lift go back to the top of the peak too, but that's wishful thinking.

Fixed for accuracy :ROFLMAO:

skiur

Would be nice if one of these days they just fill that big 'ol ditch of a half pipe in the background and return that section of Dream Maker back to a trail. Heck, I would REALLY love it if they returned Dream Maker back to what it was when it first opened back in the 80's or so, just a fun trail without any features on it except for some bumps on the various pitches! Many a fond memory of just skiing that trail back before it was a skier cross trail and then a park trail!

I really enjoyed when they had the skier x on it, not so much the park on it now. The current park has much larger hits than I would ever attempt.

skiur

Yep, it was one of my favorites, was super bummed. They used to make snow on the top too prior to the park.

They have so many acres banked with the abandonment of Juggernaut ideally I would like to see them cut another run and a half next to Timberline and move the Stash and Dreammaker parks over there so it's all together, in tandem with replacing the quad > 6. It's not like the Squeeze Play glade is worth it anymore there with all of the Mt. Biking carnage. Well I mean ideally, I would like to see a new lift go back to the top of the peak too, but that's wishful thinking.

That would give you quite a good long run from the top of Skye Peak: Gateway to Stash to Skyeburst. Also Dreammaker back to a full length cruiser, which they lack.

The only way I ever see a lift going to the top is if/when the interconnect gets done.

Rogman

I was disappointed when they moved the Poma there and didn’t run it to the top. Missed opportunity.

skiur

I was disappointed when they moved the Poma there and didn’t run it to the top. Missed opportunity.
Who cares, it not like its open to the public anymore so what good would it be if it went to the top?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I fantasize about a T-bar from the current top of Ramshead to the true summit. Clear it out a little bit, no snowmaking/grooming except on the lift line, lift-served natural skiing a la Mittersill at Cannon

bigbob

I would second moving the Bear Mt parks out of Bear and returning these to normal trails. Put all the park rats in the same location, call it segregation if you must!!

Great Bear

I think their main goal was to get the race venue out of the center of one of the bigger "blue square cruiser" areas once they did the tunnels and Snowdon 6.

Newpylong

Plus how do you run it to the top when the lift isn't long enough? I don't think finding and refurbishing additional 70 year old towers, carriers, and another haul rope plus extending snowmaking back to the top was in KMS's budget.

mister moose

Plus how do you run it to the top when the lift isn't long enough? I don't think finding and refurbishing additional 70 year old towers, carriers, and another haul rope plus extending snowmaking back to the top was in KMS's budget.
You can still buy new parts. Just need the budget, as you said. From the POMA website -

This detachable surface lift is a true part of POMA’s history since Jean Pomagalski invented the world’s first system, installed in 1936 at the Alpe d’Huez (France).
This detachable surface lift can be adapated and installed as close as possible to the shape of the ski slopes, thanks to its possibility of having angles in line. It is also popular for avoiding to have towhangers runing empty on line, which is really usefull out of operation with a empty line cable for snow grooming or wind case. The system has become a ski-area essential. There are thousands of POMA installations all over the world, especially in North America where it is still called the β€œPOMALIFT”. It has also been installed in indoor ski domes over the past few years.

Didn't know that Poma came from Pomagalski.

boston_e

Do I understand correctly that KMS (not Killington) owns the Poma? If so, their goal would surely be a training venue and not so much going to the top of Rams.

drjeff

Do I understand correctly that KMS (not Killington) owns the Poma? If so, their goal would surely be a training venue and not so much going to the top of Rams.
When an Academy is designing and putting in a training venue (which is becoming more more commonplace these days for top tier Academies) site location is often based on the combo of where they can get a hill that will give their athletes a training location that will help their athletes develop and accel, as well as a location where that training hill will have little to no interference with the rest of the terrain the general public uses

boston_e

When an Academy is designing and putting in a training venue (which is becoming more more commonplace these days for top tier Academies) site location is often based on the combo of where they can get a hill that will give their athletes a training location that will help their athletes develop and accel, as well as a location where that training hill will have little to no interference with the rest of the terrain the general public uses

Right, I guess that is kind of what I was trying to say. Some of the general public's desire to see something that re-opens the top of rams does not necessarily align with the goals of KMS creating an optimal training venue.

With that said, overall what they have done at Ram's seems odd to me. It's almost like they don't know what they want it to be - they have a mix of advanced ski racers, group lessons, a terrain park for the lower intermediate park rats, an uphill alpine touring route and one of the better cruising trails when a newer skier needs a step up from snowshed, all in one big blender that does not mix very well. And - all of this is serviced by one of the less reliable lifts on the mountain.

Newpylong

Correct, the ask is unfeasible.

I stand by the opinion that any new lift (regardless of Interconnect) should be extended to the top and correct an ill-sighted ASC mistake. It would need to be coupled with a comprehensive Act 250 application to deal with some of the terrain challenges of the previous summit configuration.

In short:

-The lift would be a 6, so heavier and better in wind. Nonetheless, ex-Upper Header (the old liftline) would remain closed to riding, the towers would hug the ground as needed.
-Upper Swirl (top right) would be re-established with snowmaking but would need to cut back to Header higher up due to where they put the top bullwheel of the Poma. This would give KMS a longer GS run.
-Timberline (second from left) would be re-established with snowmaking and flow into both current Timberline and Header, being the core route.
-Vagabond (third from left) would be re-established but remain natural.
-Horn (far left) would be re-established with snowmaking and be the easier way down.

They have the acres banked to do this from abandonment of Juggernaut and they are essentially just clearing old trails.

1671111133574.png

skiur

Returning to the top of ramshead will only be happening when/if the interconnect happens.

jimmywilson69

Since the easy route from the top would join back with Frolic and eventually dump out on Caper, would Frolic need some widening? Its not super narrow, but also not super wide. Currently Frolic see "light to moderate" traffic from the top of Snowdon only.