• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

heiusa

Interesting take - wouldn't these multi mountain pass products actually cater more to people who like to explore different places? (Unlike the "old days" where a season pass got you access at just that one mountain.)

I get the "cheap pass / crazy expensive day ticket" model sucks for planning more last minute and I'm not particularly a fan of these mega passes, but inability to explore different places is never a complaint I've heard about them.

The issue I see with the mega pass is when you want to ski with a friend and they don't have the same pass you have.

mister moose

2. $69 pico tickets is a steal.
In general, but there are days you couldn't pay me $69 to ski Pico. Hopefully the new water source and other improvements will be seen in snow quality. There are also some days where it's a powder day, no one's there and it's worth $500.

urungus

In general, but there are days you couldn't pay me $69 to ski Pico. Hopefully the new water source and other improvements will be seen in snow quality. There are also some days where it's a powder day, no one's there and it's worth $500.
$44 Pico tickets available on a few midweek days for ski club members, here are last years dates: https://www.killington.com/ski-council

ColdRain&Snow

The issue I see with the mega pass is when you want to ski with a friend and they don't have the same pass you have.

Yeah, this was a deal breaker recently trying to get some friends to go to ikon places this winter when they’re epic peeps, and they were talking about going to epic places.

I may switch to an epic pass for one season at some point, but I’m only skiing on my ikon pass, they seem the same way with epic.

cdskier

3. Season pass prices have finally risen to what they were in the mid 00s and earlier. Why we're complaining is beyond me. Especially given labor and energy prices are 3-5x more now than they were then.

Exactly...prices took a big dip and yet still offer more now than 10 years ago. An Ikon pass now is STILL cheaper than what I was paying for a standalone Sugarbush pass the year before Alterra purchased them. A Beast 365 pass which would get a K passholder reciprocal access to the other Ikon resorts is honestly not a bad price at all. At $1700 at the early price, that's about what a lot of passes actually should cost now (and it gets you a lot of access...plus golf in the summer if you're into that which makes it a really good value if you can take advantage there).

ThatGuy

A Beast 365 pass which would get a K passholder reciprocal access to the other Ikon resorts is honestly not a bad price at all. At $1700 at the early price, that's about what a lot of passes actually should cost now (and it gets you a lot of access...plus golf in the summer if you're into that which makes it a really good value if you can take advantage there).
Shame you can’t upgrade the Ikon Base it comes with to a full one. Besides that I agree its a great deal

cdskier

You can, just buy the $1200 k pass and then buy an ikon pss = $2200

True...but if you wanted the Beast 365 for golf/mountain biking/summer, etc access...then you don't really have an upgrade option to get a full Ikon (without spending substantially more money).

Great Bear

Yup - and with the model of crazy high day ticket prices / lower priced season passes it is very expensive to ski off your pass.

We have some pretty good friends from Boston area who are at Sunday River - but we have never gone up to ski with them and they have never come up to ski with us simply because of the day ticket pricing. Even with the discounts we get from our passes, it would cost their family of 4 almost $1000 to come ski for the weekend and similar for us if we were to go there - not many people are going to do that when they already are set up to ski on their pass.

cdskier

25% off the walk up price. U can get a cheaper ticket buying it online a week in advance.
Yea...those 25% off for friends/family are pretty much a joke. That said, I did use a couple of my Ikon ones once for one of my cousins who failed to plan in advance to visit Sugarbush. The price with the discount was still ridiculous, but considering he waited until last minute the online rates were just about at the full price by that point so he did save. The stupid thing was this was a trip he had planned in advance. He had the lodging booked a long time, but was just oblivious to the fact that ticket rates were now so high.

If I offered 25% off full price to any of my friends that didn't have a pass, they'd laugh at me. I don't see those 25% off vouchers moving the needle much to genuinely help encourage friends that don't have the same pass that you have to ski with you.

jimmywilson69

If you wait until the last minute a 25% discount is a 25% discount... That being said I see your point if you are planning in advance.

cdskier

If you wait until the last minute a 25% discount is a 25% discount... That being said I see your point if you are planning in advance.

Sure...but that said if I have an Ikon pass and a friend has an Epic pass, is 25% off a full price ticket at Sugarbush going to convince them to ski with me instead of one of the resorts already on their pass? 25% off a full price ticket is still over $100. I know if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't be paying that to ski a single day at a resort that isn't on my pass.

Great Bear

Exactly...prices took a big dip and yet still offer more now than 10 years ago. An Ikon pass now is STILL cheaper than what I was paying for a standalone Sugarbush pass the year before Alterra purchased them. A Beast 365 pass which would get a K passholder reciprocal access to the other Ikon resorts is honestly not a bad price at all. At $1700 at the early price, that's about what a lot of passes actually should cost now (and it gets you a lot of access...plus golf in the summer if you're into that which makes it a really good value if you can take advantage there).

Agree that season pass pricing is lower now than it was many years ago - but in some ways what the pricing was years ago is irrelevant because the competitive landscape is totally different now - so I generally make my comparisons to the current marketplace.

As it is a Sugarbush or Stratton (Ikon) pass is considerably less than a Killington pass - and the Sugarbush pass gets you a ton of reciprocity.

Candidly, i wouldn't mind if an Ikon pass was considerably higher priced than it is - maybe the mountain wouldn't be such a zoo on Saturdays.

Great Bear

Sure...but that said if I have an Ikon pass and a friend has an Epic pass, is 25% off a full price ticket at Sugarbush going to convince them to ski with me instead of one of the resorts already on their pass? 25% off a full price ticket is still over $100. I know if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't be paying that to ski a single day at a resort that isn't on my pass.
100% this - now multiply that by a family of 4 for 2 days - exactly why we never ski with friends who are on other passes.