• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

mister moose

They now track real time snow depths from inside the cab. They should be pretty good at it this year if they have the temps.

jimmywilson69

Top of Preston's Pitch is above the lift tower, not just the chairs. The headwall has a shit ton of snow it, so much it is less steep than normal. Agree that middle could use some more. I'm sure they'll get after that this week.

was up there this weekend. that 28" must've all happened at the snow stake. Was surprised how low the snow was at lower elevations. Took a peak to creek with my son for old times sake and was greeted with a ungroomed and thin cover sign at the bearly cut off. Snow was so bad below the last section of homestretch. Honestly not sure how people would've skied back to their car at the end of the day on Sunday. We were through there at like 10 AM and it was actively melting.

Pretty good weekend. Good crowd on Saturday, but honestly felt like I never waited in any lines. Sunday was a ghost town and the conditions were great. People missed out as I thought it was better than Saturday.

mister moose

that 28" must've all happened at the snow stake. Was surprised how low the snow was at lower elevations. Took a peak to creek with my son for old times sake and was greeted with a ungroomed and thin cover sign at the bearly cut off.

The reported totals were not only legit at 4,000 feet, but in abundance at 2700 feet. I was in above the knee powder on Monday, and that's not 11 inches of snow rolls up to your knee as you're skiing and you exclaim "Wow, knee deep!", no this was come to a stop and sink in above your knee, and Saturday night's firm layer was below you still. We had one day of awesomeness.

Tuesday to Friday's warm damp windy fog and sprinkles ate it most of it that had open exposure. What didn't melt re-froze.

Lower Great Eastern always cuts it close this time of year, and somehow they push snow to make it last to Easter/BMMC. This year feels thinner earlier as you say, we'll see if it makes the cut on snowmaking this week.

abc

Sunday was a ghost town and the conditions were great. People missed out as I thought it was better than Saturday.
I kept reading people say Sunday crowd is significantly lighter than Saturday. Every weekend. Everywhere!

But I was never able to find any reasonable cost lodging on Saturday night. Friday nights, quite often able to find something here and there. Saturday? Absolutely untouchable. It begs the question, what did people do on Sunday? After paying for an arm and a leg to stay over Saturday night…

djd66

I kept reading people say Sunday crowd is significantly lighter than Saturday. Every weekend. Everywhere!

But I was never able to find any reasonable cost lodging on Saturday night. Friday nights, quite often able to find something here and there. Saturday? Absolutely untouchable. It begs the question, what did people do on Sunday? After paying for an arm and a leg to stay over Saturday night…
At Killington? They hit the bars

drjeff

The lesser crowds on Sunday often are attributable NOT to the folks staying overnight near the mountain, but less day trippers driving to the mountain for that day, as their work/school/family schedules may not be as flexible on a Sunday as a Saturday. Hence why Saturday nights are still often fairly full lodging wise, and yet Sunday's typically aren't as busy on hill volume wise. Ski area parking lots on Sunday's vs Saturday's most weeks, often even on Holiday long weekends also tend to show this phenomena

urungus

Many of them ski Sunday morning, then at lunchtime leave to head home. Sunday afternoons can be very quiet, especially during football season.

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

Frankly Killington didn't seem crowded to me all weekend. then again I know how to avoid the crowds. Sunday was just crazy, like no one but my son and I on slopes at multiple times throughout the day.

Okemo yesterday was even more. That makes sense that it was a Monday in March.

cdskier

Frankly Killington didn't seem crowded to me all weekend. then again I know how to avoid the crowds. Sunday was just crazy, like no one but my son and I on slopes at multiple times throughout the day.

Okemo yesterday was even more. That makes sense that it was a Monday in March.

FWIW, Sunday was empty at Sugarbush as well. Most runs were ski onto the lift and not even sharing a chair with anyone.

And yes, in general I agree with DrJeff. Saturdays tend to be busier due to day trippers. Sunday you're left with just the weekend people (some of whom cut out early and don't even ski Sunday).

heiusa

My thinking is that Sunday is quieter because many skiers come up for the weekend, stay out late on Saturday, cant get out of bed Sunday morning, need to drive back home six hours, and they don't want to waste a ticket on Sunday for only 2 hours of skiing.

Zand

I feel like if the ski areas are quieter than usual on the weekends this spring, it's because most people in New England haven't seen snow since the day before Valentine's Day and have no idea that the spine of the greens has been getting in on some localized heavy snow for the past week and a half.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know for my family, we ski Sundays at Gunstock because it's the shortest commute for us. We use Indy on Saturdays and travel further North. It's really nice to ski from 8:30 to 1:30-2 and be home by 3 to chill and have a relaxed dinner. Makes the crash landing back into the work week a little softer.

Not sure if they still do it, but as a kid Okemo offered their Sunday Solution ticket. Good from opening until 1. At the same time, they offered an affordable locals afternoon ticket from 1-4. I believe it was good for NH and VT residents.

cdskier

Not sure if they still do it, but as a kid Okemo offered their Sunday Solution ticket. Good from opening until 1. At the same time, they offered an affordable locals afternoon ticket from 1-4. I believe it was good for NH and VT residents.

I think they got rid of that even before Vail bought them. I definitely took advantage of that Sunday Solution ticket though back on my trips there (granted this was over 20 years ago at this point).

bigbob

Day tripped it to killington today. Two hour commute, so no need for lodging near the mnt. A fresh 2-3" greeted me at the Bear lot when I pulled in around 8:30. This was after the 6"+ from yesterday. Snow surface was very good, with more snow falling at lunch time. Sun came out after that. Not crowded at all. Perhaps the Ikoners have burned up their 5 days expalins the smaller weekend crowds. Only snowmaking was on the Superstar top headwall. Lower was shut down due to higher wet bulb temps. Saturday the power agreement runs out so that should do it for snowmaking according to a freind in the know.

doublediamond

Vail got rid of Sunday Solution. It was a requirement for one of the Act 250 master plans with expansions (perhaps Jackson Gore). VT is not happy and is going after Vail for getting rid of it.

cdskier

Vail got rid of Sunday Solution. It was a requirement for one of the Act 250 master plans with expansions (perhaps Jackson Gore). VT is not happy and is going after Vail for getting rid of it.

This is interesting. I just skimmed through the Act 250 permit for Jackson Gore. The "Sunday Solution" ticket is mentioned as something that Okemo had implemented as a "traffic mitigation" measure to decrease the amount of people leaving the resort later on Sunday afternoons during "peak travel times". It seems to only be mentioned in the "Findings of fact" section of the ruling though and not in either the "Conclusions of Law" or "Order" sections. In the conclusions section for the traffic criteria they cite that Okemo will continue to implement various traffic mitigation measures and call out several examples (i.e. paying Ludlow police to manage traffic at certain intersections during peak times), but the "Sunday Solution" mitigation measure is not specifically called out. Unless another permit is more explicit that Okemo needs to continue with that specific measure, then I suspect Vail would possibly be able to argue that they do not need to continue with that specific measure as long as they can show that they are still doing some of the other measures. Additionally, with RFID data, they could likely prove how many people leave on their own by late morning/early afternoon on Sundays anyway thus negating the need for that specific measure to continue. And honestly if Vail was truly forced to re-introduce it, they could simply re-introduce it at a stupid high price (but still lower than a full day ticket) and be in compliance even though virtually no one would buy it anyway.

Edit...also for fun I just looked up Okemo's pricing from 2018 before they sold to Vail. A full day weekend ticket at walk-up rates was $110 while the Sunday Solution was $102. And full day tickets were supposedly cheaper if you purchased them online at least 24 hours in advance. So I wouldn't be surprised if even by the last years of the Mueller's ownership that Sunday Solution sales were a small percentage of ticket sales.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
With those prices, it's no wonder they didn't sell many. "Hey, wanna save $8? Here's a lift ticket, but you need to get off the mountain by 1. That's a remarkable 7.27% savings off the full ticket rate!"

Now if it was say, $75, maybe it would have had more traction.

Seems to me they wanted people willing to pay the $110 anyway