• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

Newpylong

The largest issue with Skyeship is its unique design, not age or hours. It was the first multi-stage lift built by Poma AFAIK - cutting edge in '94. There is a great video on it from the 90's kicking around.

K1 is a lot more straightforward.

So yes they can replace the cabins, but you're not going to see an overly large improvement in perceived reliability without rebuilding all 3 terminals - not likely to happen.

Was running at 1000 FPM every time I rode this winter - perfectly reasonable rope speed.

FBGM

3 years apart (94/97) but K1 has about twice as many hours because it runs almost year round, Skyeship runs 3.5 months a year.

a lot of pipe replacements are needed, especially Bear-side and down near Route 4. They've had at least four or five blowouts this year, and let's not forgot the bear mountain flood that happened last year.

hence the snowshed suggestion...replacing the lift there would be a very cheap project, probably under $2m.
Hahahahha at thinking a new lift today costs under $2m

drjeff

Hahahahha at thinking a new lift today costs under $2m
100% truth!

When the still kicking and retrofitted a few times Yan HSQ gets replaced, I would guess based on todays real costs, that it''s more in the $5-6 million range

RH29

Yep - you wouldn;'t even be able to get a fixed grip in for $2.5M right now for that length.
It would be a fixed grip. It's 3000 feet and incredibly flat. Both terminals accessible by road.

KustyTheKlown

So with the K1 lodge finished and the new base village on the horizon, what are Killington's priorities for this summer? With skier visits on the rise and the lifts there in the state that they are, it'd be really disappointing if they didn't get anything done. I'll note that these observations come from someone who, as of late, only skis at Kmart for a couple days a year.

Snowshed Quad gets worse every year. Everytime I go down there something is wrong. Last year, a bunch of chairs had jammed in the terminal, closing the lift for several hours. This year, it had a mechanical issue and stopped for a half hour with riders on it. It gets huge lines, stops constantly, and more importantly, it'll be a main access point from the village. If Killington can't afford to put in a high speed six yet , they could consider putting in a fixed grip triple/quad to replace the Snowshed Double and serve as a reliable, higher-capacity backup for busy days and whenever the quad is having issues (a lot).

Skyeship needs work, similar to what the K1 got a few years ago. It's prone to 10-20 minute stops, has a lot of cabin damage, and runs slower than it used to. A full replacement isn't necessary, but new cabins and some TLC to the terminals would go a long way.

these are two lifts i never use. i parked at skyeship for the first time ever recently. i wouldn't again. i understand the need for beginner infrastructure at snowshed, but these two lifts are nothingburgers to most killington skiers.

between needles eye, superstar, and skye peak quad, the skyeship is the most redundant useless lift and i never see a need to take my skis off and ride it.

drjeff

It would be a fixed grip. It's 3000 feet and incredibly flat. Both terminals accessible by road.
No way that Killlington would replace the HSQ on Snowshed with a fixed grip.

Given the large number of beginners who use Snowshed, a detachable lift is much easier for that lower skill level clientele to use than a fixed grip, even if it is a conveyor loader

Great Bear

these are two lifts i never use. i parked at skyeship for the first time ever recently. i wouldn't again. i understand the need for beginner infrastructure at snowshed, but these two lifts are nothingburgers to most killington skiers.

between needles eye, superstar, and skye peak quad, the skyeship is the most redundant useless lift and i never see a need to take my skis off and ride it.
Both are definitely more important to the beginner skier or parents with kids than they are to the average Killington passholder (I'd guess).

About the only time I have used the Snowshed lift is to get to Needles Eye if I end up at Rams Head and just walk under the tunnel. I did eat lunch at Ram's a couple of times this winter as the pricing there is marginally more reasonable than the new lodge.

Skyship - I'll occasionally do a "peak to creek" which can be fun, especially in a group on more marginal conditions days. I can see how that would be fun to lap for the less advanced skiers.

Beginners and lower intermediates make up a decent percentage of their revenue I'm sure so they are both important lifts.

Great Bear

Given the large number of beginners who use Snowshed, a detachable lift is much easier for that lower skill level clientele to use than a fixed grip, even if it is a conveyor loader
Agree - and I doubt they would ever put a conveyor lift there where it is probably the primary summer biking lift.

cdskier

I think a number of people missed RH29's point. He suggested replacing the Snowshed double with a new fixed grip lift, not replacing the HSQ at Snowshed with a fixed lift.

RH29

I think a number of people missed RH29's point. He suggested replacing the Snowshed double with a new fixed grip lift, not replacing the HSQ at Snowshed with a fixed lift.
Yeah, this. snowshed HSQ is an unreliable mess, but if they can't afford to replace it, at least boost capacity and give it a reliable backup.

Newpylong

This is not reality.

Skyeship is jammed on weekends and provides a vital eastern gateway to the resort, and real estate along Stage I.

So if you're not going to Killington to hit the gnar you're a nothingburger?

Both lifts are critical.

Last edited:

xlr8r

Superstar and Snowshed are both old Yans modified by Poma, same with Golden and Summit at Pico. Probably Snowshed and/or Superstar is going to be replaced soon and then be parted out to keep the other 2 or 3 going. Sunday River is replacing and scraping their Yan Poma hybrid this summer, Mount Snow only uses theirs on Weekends and Peak days.

Rogman

Top is as deep as ever. Spine, not so much. That article is a work of fiction. SS will not make June; mid May if they’re lucky. To be fair, they made a ton of snow and I’m told went way over budget. Still, a lot of us were shocked when they put the hoses away.