• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kinsmen, Cannon 10-7-06

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked: 10-7-06

Trails(s) Hiked: Cannon/Kinsmen: Lonesome Lake, Fishing Jimmy, Kinsman Ridge, Hi Cannon.

Total Distance: 12 miles

Vertical total: 5080'

Difficulty: mostl Moderate-hard, but some steep spots!

Conditions: trails were in excellent condition except in spots where fallen leaves amde the trail somewhat ambigous

Special Required Equipment: Boots for some wet spots. Sweater for the cold temps

Trip Report:

Started at 4:30. Below freezing at the time, but I warmed up quick. Caught the sunrise at N Kinsman. Views were pretty clear and got some great views into VT. When I got back to the parking lot 70% of the plates were Quebec (exchange rate at $1.11 plus monday is canadian thanksgiving probably has something to do with it)

Go here for a more full report and pictures: http://hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/NH/Cannons061007

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!! This was a pretty neat hike.

Jonni

Marc,

How did you like the Hi-Cannon Trail versus the rest of the hike? I hiked Cannon a while back going up the Hi-Cannon and found it to be kind of rough and very interesting, and I'm interested in what an experienced hiker says about it.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
It didnt seem too rough to me, There were definately rougher moments on the lopp most notably the part of kinsman ridge which climbed Cannon. That part was very steep and rocky.

My experience may have been a tad different since I only went down the trail. It seemed pretty narrow at the higher altitudes but the rock outcrops and vistas were pretty nice. This trail definately had the tightest spots of any of the trails I went on on the ridge. The ladder was cool :) also I havent seen so many tight switchbacks on a trail in the Whites anywhere else (and for that matter so many shortcuts cutting across the switches). Good stuff! :spin:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I agree - I like Hi-Cannon as it's an "interesting" trail with a variety of conditions and views. The ladder can be tricky, or easy, depending on the weather. The only place I've ever been nervous is where the small openings are up on the ledges overlooking Lonesome Lake. When covered with a dusting of snow, they're super-slippery, and being sidesloped it'd be easy to, uh, take a ride. But once there's enough snow on the ground, crampons will do a fine job there.

I actually, to be honest, really like the Kinsman Ridge Trail up from the tramway parking lot. It passes through some beautiful forest sections, and has the spur trail to the big, wide, open slabs (above the infamous cliffs) overlooking the notch and Franconia Ridge.