• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Late Season Utah Avalanche Kills 2 Skiers and Injures 1

thetrailboss

Staff member

cdskier

I heard about this today from my mechanic when I picked up my truck after work and was thinking to myself "weird that I didn't see this posted yet on a ski forum".

kingslug

Why anyone,especialy those that know...would go out climbing in the bc after these big storms. Have to let things settle a bit.

jimk

supposedly these three were well equipped and hardcore/motivated backcountry guys. sometimes the more you know, the more you have to watch out.
I took this photo yesterday at Snowbird (little cloud lift) about the time the avalanche occurred at Lone Peak about ten miles away. It's been serious freaking winter out here since last Sunday. Have you hugged a ski patroler today? times like this they are the MVPs of recreational skiing!
little cloud lift 9 may snowbird.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
IMG_4182.jpegThe SL Trib just released photos of the slide area. Based on the article, I’ve circled the avalanche break and slide in red. The survivor fell on the right side of the spine (purple). The two deceased went left (green). That cornice/break is 250 feet wide.

BenedictGomez

Why anyone,especialy those that know...would go out climbing in the bc after these big storms. Have to let things settle a bit.

You wouldn't catch my azz skiing this line ever! Drop in & very high degrees - safe to say these weren't beginners.

1715368298102.png

BodeMiller1

You have to wait until the snow sets up, wind dies down. When the sun comes out it can help or hurt.

Attachments

• IMG_20240511_160320.jpeg
    IMG_20240511_160320.jpeg
    761.9 KB · Views: 0

kingslug

Most terrain that skiers find attractive is avalanche terrain. I'm not sure what your point was posting this.
Things i learned in the avi course.
Some terrain has a much higher chance of sliding. They show you pictures of variouse areas and you have to pick out the possible slide paths.
I learned that its damn dangerouae out there. So now I limit my exposure to it.