• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

lift served on state highpoints

Breeze

I don't think this is part of the reason at all. Both New York and Maine have state regulation which would prohibit development of ski areas (not that a ski area on Katahdin would be feasible). The regulation does not concern the highpoints specifically but rather a broad area intended to not be developed.

Not sure of how Mount Washington's ownership developed through the years. There certainly was no drive to keep the mountain pristine given a cog railroad, an auto road, and excessive summit development. And Vermont of course has Mansfield developed. So that reasoning does not hold weight in any of the northeast's mountain states.

Since both the Cog and the Auto Road opened in the early 1860's, and the Weeks Act wasn't signed into law until March 1911, both of those private entities had a ~50 year record of private ownership before the advent of government oversight. The earliest and primary development of Mt Washington corresponds to the success of rail road service , and the popular " Rusticator" years of increased tourism and investment in tourism development into the late 1800's..

Dartmouth College, a New Hampsire Land Grant University was another early landowner at the summit, and the State of New Hampshire was granted acreage for a State Park. Between and among those 4 owners there was split for a 5th piece of the pie l for building of the Yankee Building, which has served for years as a high elevation broadcast base for radio and television signals but belonged to Yankee Electric, no longer in business , of Baldwin ME. Satellite service killed Yankee Electric, but the need for high elevation broadcast and reliable satellite reception keeps that summit location primary need for your satellite reception.

MWObs position has been negotiated principally as a lessee to MWSP as they share a common building, but has negotiated specific parts of their lessee relationship between their other abutters

The US Signal Service/ Signal Corps, a predecessor to the US Weather Bureau and thence to NOAA /NWS had a station on Mt Washington as early as 1870, studying early shortwave radio propagation and long distance communication / transmission. That location bears a name that is recognized and noted to this Day; Signal Corps.

McDonnell- Douglas was testing jet engines in conjunction with the USAF up closer to the summit cone in the mid 1940's . There was a common dormitory for workers and an experimental mount building for the test engines.

Skiers today know it as " Air Force", and use it as their parking area closest to the east snowfield line of the same name. I'm doubtful that many of them know the why's and wherefores of how it came to be known that way and I'd be happy to be proved wrong about that.

Mt Washington has a rich and long history within our lives. 150 years.

Breeze