• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Local gas prices (non-political)

ctenidae

Just curious if anyone's noticed a rise in gas prices after yesterday's new high for oil of $62.30? Analysts seem to be expecting stocks of distillates to be up, gasoline to be down, and crude stocks to be down significantly. I get gas about every two weeks (not counting TacoNights), so I don't get to see regular fluctuations.

Interesting factoid I ran across today- the actual inflation adjusted high price for oil is $97.79. Anyone want to guess when that was? (Hint- it was longer ago than you think)

Non-political disclaimer: It's pretty clear politics has had little effect on oil prices, so it doesn't matter who's in or who's out- driving forces appear to be speculators and a refinery bottleneck (no new ones in 30 years or so will do that to you), so don't go blaming anyone other that us lowly consumers. :beer:

hammer

Here's what I think is a related question:

Has anyone considered fuel economy when buying a new car recently? If so, what kind of increased MPG would make you change what type of car you would get?

When I bought gas today, I saw a sale price at another pump of $75.00 (yes, it was a large purchase), and it got me thinking of how much I spend on gas for my Subaru and Toyota...

BTW, my guess on the high price would be around 1978 or 1979.

ChileMass

I put just over 18 gallons in my van yesterday and it cost me $46, which is a new record for my family. Gas prices are ridiculous. This was in Middleboro, MA near Cape Cod.

The inflation-adjusted highest price of oil was probably back in the earliest days of Standard Oil before they figured how to extract, refine and deliver it cheaply. I'm gonna say right around 1900.......

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, I'm thanking God that we have two cars that average near 40 mpg. These prices are ridiculous and people are beginning to catch on...but wait until tax time/accounting time when folks realize, like I did, that I have less extra $$$ to spend on other things such as equipment and skiing...could really hurt the ski industry if this continues.

ctenidae

ChileMass is about a third as far from right as Hammer is on the year...Bonus points if you can get the money-of-the-day amount.

On the mpg improvement question, a change in driving requirements would have a bigger impact- I've had my current car for 3 years, and haven't broken 30K miles yet, so a few mpg either way won't bother me, and the drop in driving enjoyment that would go along with a significant increase in mpg isn't worth it- I'm averaging about 27 mpg, and I have a turbo, to get an idea of what the trade-off would be. A ski trip (the only regular distance driving I do) takes about 10 gallons of gas, so even a 50 cent swing in gas only costs $5.

I'd shoot myself if I saw a $75 fill up, though. $25 every couple of weeks bothers me enough as it is.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
hammer said:
Here's what I think is a related question:

Has anyone considered fuel economy when buying a new car recently? If so, what kind of increased MPG would make you change what type of car you would get?

When I bought gas today, I saw a sale price at another pump of $75.00 (yes, it was a large purchase), and it got me thinking of how much I spend on gas for my Subaru and Toyota...

BTW, my guess on the high price would be around 1978 or 1979.
my car gets 35mpg highway, i wouldn't settle for anything less than 28-30 these days. personally, i'll be happy to see gas prices go higher and hopefully cross the $3 mark at which point i think detriot rock city and consumer demands regarding what they drive will start changing. it has never costed me more than $25 to fill my tank and i can live with that. no offense intended to those who choose forms of transportation that require large sums of gas, just my personal thought/hope that our country and other countries will begin to slant towards a more sustainable energy options, and i think hurting people's pocket books is the only way to do it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It was $2.27 at the pump today here in Burlington.

I chose to live one mile from work when I moved back to Vermont last fall because of the rising prices of gasoline. Back in the late 90's when fuel was cheap, I chose to live in Stowe and commute to work or college. Now that I work more than I do ski, it made sense to live closer to something I do five days a week (work) than something that I can only dream of doing five days a week (ski).

I also recently bought a new (to me) car that gets around 27 mgp on the highway and 18 mpg around town. Its not that great of mileage, but it beats the hell out of the 14 mgp city / 18 highway I was getting with my old Explorer. Also having all wheel drive is a must living up in Vermont (IMO) and there are not many all wheel drive vehicles out there (used anyway) that get that much better mileage than mine.

loafer89

Regular gasoline here is $2.45 and $2.75 for super :eek:

I read that these are the highest prices since 1980, but I have no clue as to the highest price.

We drove 349 miles round trip to go kayaking last weekend and spent about $80 in gas, and that is with a Mazda MPV

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
It's almost high enough for me to talk my wife into getting a bike to commute to work.

As a friend told me, when it comes to motorcycles, the best answer you can ever hope to get from your spouse is "not no".

-Stephen

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Between 3 9,000 pound vans and a SUV that gets an 12mpg and needs super :eek: I live at the gas station. What can I do..I need the vans the SUV I could live without but I really don't drive it much 8k a year so I keep it... But when prices go up I do notice.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I drive a lot at work and have been filling up every other day at a cost of around $48-53! Luckily the company is paying, but I'd hate to see the fuel bill. Since they are paying, I don't watch prices that closely but they've been somewhere in the 2.39 range wherever I've gone in the MA/CT/RI area. A few weeks ago when the prices spiked in the 2.49 range I hit a personal best of $59.75 for a fill up. I was back at the pumps 2 days later...

Smitty

loafer89

The price for regular was $2.35 in Phonecia when we went kayaking last weekend, that is the cheapest I have seen lately.

We are going back up this weekend, so the thirsty chariot will get filled up at that station again :eek:

Soon, we will see prices above $3.00 for super on Long Island :angry: :evil: lucily my car takes 87. :D

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
$2.69 here.
The Outback requires 91 octane, and of course the choices are 89 or 93. :(

At least I get 22/26, and not the 14 the Jeep used to get. I would love to pick up a Prius for day to day and use the Outback just for bad winter weather and the trips to the Mountains. But a second car payment would really kill the saving-for-a-house routine!

skibum1321

Gas prices are killing me already this summer and will be even worse in the winter when I drive up to Burlington to stay and then Smuggs to ski almost every weekend for skiing. 200+ miles each way. Plus I drive a half hour to work each way. I get 31 mpg but it's still not helping to ease the pain at the moment.

tree_skier

I bought my civic for the gas milage. getting an average of 37 mpg and as I drive about 30,000 a year it is important. Now my wife's pilot gets about 18 mpg but she only drives about 8,000 a year so it's not as vital and gives use a more comfortable rig for family use.

Gas in the keene/brattleboro area is about 2.25 curently.

loafer89

Gas prices will really affect my skiing as well as we have to drive 80 miles + just to get to and from the Throgs Neck Bridge and access New England.

Belleayre and Hunter are both 350 + mile round trips :eek:

Hopefully the ferry company does tours to Mount Snow, as they are cheaper than just the cost of gas there and back alone.

I bought a 2004 Mazda 6 leftover on June 1st, and while the gas mileage is good, it's still expensive to fill up.