• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Mountain - Nov 25, 2007

Charlie Schuessler

Loon Mountain - Nov 25, 2007

Weather: Overcast in the low 30°’s

Lifts Operating: 3 – Gondola, East Basin & Governors Lodge Handle Tow

Conditions: Hard pack with dusting of fresh stuff deposited overnight. There was snow making in progress on closed trails.

Trails Open: Top to bottom skiing with the gondola doing the heavy lifting and East Basin Chair ferrying the peak skiers for Lower Walking Boss, Haul Back, Cross Cut, Upper Flying Fox, Upper Picked Rock, Brookway, Exodus and Sarspirarilla.

Except for Loon Mountain staff training sessions, the trails & east basin chair were wide open. I skied the upper mountain from 9:00 till 11:30 where I visited "Little Jamaica" at the peak for a tasty lunch and relaxing music… and then back out for another ninety minutes of cruising, alternating between the Walking Boss and Flying Fox/Picker Rock routes to the East basin Chair.

NOT surprisingly, the final run to the lodge had the best trail conditions…

Although there expecting some warm weather for a day or so, LM is forecasting the continuance of snowmaking looking to open more trials including the new trails serving the recently developed area by the middle of December.

It was for me a worthwhile day. :)

stomachdoc

Charlie:

Could you tell where they were with the South Peak project; have they put the cables up yet on the lifts? I think that the projected opening was in a couple of weeks.

AMAC2233

I was there Saturday for a few hours. They opened Haulback/L Walking Boss/Brookway around 9 am, Walking Boss was nice with lots of snow (I'm sure it was even better today,) but Haulback and Brookway were dangerously icy. They just didn't put down enough snow. But, it was great skiing in November and nice to see everything covered in snow! (Even if it was just a few inches)

And yes, the South Peak lifts are ready to go, they just need the actual chairs. The two new trails look good. I have a pic of one of the one to the left, maybe I'll upload it later.

Justin10

Yeah, they are just about done with the new peak. As far as I know they just have to get the chairs up to the tote road quad. They need to keep the access road open (not covered in snow) until they can get the chairs up there and whatever else they need. Once the chairs are up, its game on for all the trails over by the kancamangus quad.

I would expect terrain to start poppin up out of nowhere beginning this weekend, the temps are taking a HUGE dive midweek.....

Telemechanic

South Peak lift construction

Charlie:

Could you tell where they were with the South Peak project; have they put the cables up yet on the lifts? I think that the projected opening was in a couple of weeks.

Hello! I'm a lift mechanic at Loon and a new poster. I thought I'd give an update on the new lifts as some of the previous posts are close to but not completely accurate.

As of today the return terminals (both at the summit of South Peak) are complete mechanically and electrically. The drive terminal of Tote Road (visable to skiers from Upper Picked Rock at the closed cross over from Upper Bear Claw) is in the process of being enclosed. When that is done the electricians will dry the place out and wire everything up. The haul rope not up on Tote Road. Today they pulled the haul rope on Lincoln and I assume they will now get set up to pull the haul rope on Tote Road. Then both ropes will be spliced (not to each other :spin:) and then the chairs will be assembled and hung. Some locals may have noticed a cable on the Lincoln lift prior to today. This was the sand line, a smaller rope used to pull the full sized rope over the towers and through the terminals. It was in place for awhile before today. The drive terminal of Lincoln is still waiting for the installation of a diesel engine. It is expected any day and once its raised into place the terminal enclosure will be finished and the electricians can wire everything up. The lifts and trail are schduled to open in mid December weather permitting. Although there is a lot to do before the grand opening Doppelmayr Ctec is used to this kind pace and I'm certain they'll be ready.