• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon NH 12/23/08

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Spent the day here with a couple on on-duty patrollers. Assignments included a couple hours in the "baby slopes" and family areas. Got to explore a lot of areas I normally pass by. Minor intervention to the requisite "I will teach my girlfriend how to ski, she's ready to go to the top after 2 runs on the bunny slope" bonehead. They never learn. Camaraderie was the best part of the day.

Loon was very busy. Mostly looked to be college breakers. Lines for the gondi, but really no issues. Loon has a very large uphill capacity, which can be it's downfall, with many folks on the hill at once.

Conditions were generally packed powder with about 1/2 to 1" of dust on top. No real bumps to speak of. A real mountain cruiser's day. The entire place was groomed wall-to wall. Checked out the on trail woods, but my buds were not able to join, so I passed. Next time.

I was a bit surprised and disappointed to discover several ice patches down towards the Gondi entrance. The half-pipe was under construction. It was entertaining to watch the 'cat slide down the end of it.

First time to South peak. Only one real trail open, a blue cruiser from the top. The transfer lift configuration is rather odd, requiring a sharp turn after unloading and a deep pitch. Some green and lower-blue skill skiers are gonna have problems there. They were making a lot of whales on the other unopened trail. The woods on this side look rather entertaining. On my next-time list.

I hear that the weekend breakfast omlets at the South Peak lodge are to die for.

After coming off a 2' all powder day at Magic the day before, I guess I'm one of those that Greg calls a "powder snob." I had to put the fatties away and get out the carvers.
Nice conditions for all-groomed-all-the-time. I was told that Monday they had left about 1/2 the mountain wild on Monday, but Monday night they groomed the whole place. Not all the trails opened. Oddly, some blues were closed. Sometimes resorts hold a trail for the heavy weekend/holiday crowd.

No real trail-of-the-day to mention.
I wasn't really into taking photos this day, nothing noteworthy to take photos of. We had a very clear, sunny day , views to Mt. Washington and you could even see the transmitter towers, a rare condition.

A few shots.

1223081526.jpg

1223081526a.jpg

Checkout the Summit cafe - Jamaican lunchtime specialties include the "Reggae Special", which will propel you down the slopes the remainder of the day.

1223081527.jpg

The antenna collection is beginning to look like a science fair!
1223081529.jpg

1223081532.jpg

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
I was there too, I was surprised at how many people were there as well! Conditions were fun but, I have to be a powder snob after what we skied the day before!

But, Missing Link and Mike's Way are in good shape!