• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lunar Eclipse Images

Greg

Staff member
I decided to break out the telescope to check out tonight's lunar eclipse. I also tried taken some pictures of the moon through the eyepiece with my digital camera. Surprisingly enough, the pics of the full moon came out pretty good so I tried to take pictures of the eclipse during various phases. The ones with the most light came out the best, but overall not a bad job for a total hack with a marginal telescope and a 3.2 megapixel point and shoot digital camera. I hope you enjoy them:

9:10 PM - Full moon:
102704_2110.jpg

9:26 PM - Eclipse starting:
102704_2126.jpg

9:44 PM - 1/3 eclipsed:
102704_2144.jpg

10:11 PM - 2/3 eclipsed:
102704_2211.jpg

10:28 PM - Almost fully eclipsed:
102704_2228.jpg

I couldn't get a full eclipse image as some high clouds rolled in. Probably wouldn't have come out any good anyway considering the low light. This nighttime photography is pretty cool and something I probably could get into with the right equipment...

skijay

I took some last night but need to download them to see how bad they came out :cry:

Greg

Staff member

MtnMagic

When I returned home I found the links in my inbox and was going to post them. You had already posted yours, so I contributed mine. Too good not to share with friends.

MtnMagic

btw: With the Earth passing between the sun and the moon, the only light hitting the full moon was from our planet's sunrises and sunsets, resulting in the orange and red hue during the full eclipse.

TeleGrrrl

Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
Nice pix Greg :D
I tried last eclipse to get pix with tripod, 35mm, and digital, but they came out yucky. You did great with your equipment!

MtnMagic, I'd say you're prof friend has some serious change invested in equipment, or he teaches astronomy :) Sweet pix.

Kudos to both of you