• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Glen - 2/10/2005

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Thursday, February 10, 2005, 1:30 PM - 4:20 PM

Resort or Ski Area: Mad River Glen, Waitsfield, Vermont

Conditions: Powder! Heavy snow; wind increasing throughout the day.

Trip Report: Well, I finally made it to MRG. What an awesome experience. My father- and brother-in-law and I arrived a bit after 1 PM. It took us just over 5 hours from CT which wasn't bad considering we drove up in the storm. We got on skis by 1:30.

We rode the double a few times to get our legs used to the powder conditions. The mountain picked up ~8 inches by the time we got there and they probably had close to a foot by the time we left. Conditions on all trails was the same - powder and soft bumps.

After a few runs on some easy terrain, we headed over to the single which we rode for the remainder of the day. We mostly came off the summit on Upper Antelope and Catamount which are great cruisers; this day peppered with soft bumps.

We hit some of the short diamonds on the lower mountain including Canyon and Beaver. I took a run down Lower Antelope which is a great trail, but I wasn't too big on the hike out through the woods.

The in-laws loved MRG, but agreed today's powder conditions probably made the surface a bit easier to handle than it is typically. The atmosphere is great. It sorta feels like you're skiing in your buddy's back yard.

Click HERE for pics.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
nice pics greg! especially nice action shot on canyon and the shot of lower antelope. i know the traverse at the end is kinda a tough way to finish out a 2000 vertical foot run through such awesome trails, but i think it's well worth it as lower antelope is one of the best narrow winding trails in new england right up there with the sherburne on MW, hardscrabbles at cannon, east bowl at burke, etc. it's like MRG's web site says, you either love it or you hate it! i've only been too MRG twice so far, but in just two visits it's quickly becoming one of my favorites. just wish it wasn't in that 3+ hour drive catagory.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
riverc0il said:
nice pics greg! especially nice action shot on canyon and the shot of lower antelope. i know the traverse at the end is kinda a tough way to finish out a 2000 vertical foot run through such awesome trails, but i think it's well worth it as lower antelope is one of the best narrow winding trails in new england right up there with the sherburne on MW, hardscrabbles at cannon, east bowl at burke, etc. it's like MRG's web site says, you either love it or you hate it! i've only been too MRG twice so far, but in just two visits it's quickly becoming one of my favorites. just wish it wasn't in that 3+ hour drive catagory.
3 hrs!! :lol: Thats it... I just took a day trip to Mt Snow 7 hrs up 7 hrs back :blink:

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
it's like MRG's web site says, you either love it or you hate it!
I loved the run, but I was a bit winded and it must've been entertaining to watch me struggle through the woods back to the base! :lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the snow on the traverse probably wasn't too well packed down either after all that snow. i had a similar winded and struggling traverse experience on friday, it's a tough way to end an epic run!

JimG.

Staff member
Nice job Greg...I am so pumped because my trip to MRG is in 2 weeks and the conditions look mint!

Mr MRG Jr

Website
www.madriverglen.com
Glad you made it!

Hey Greg!

Glad you made it up! Nice shot of the Waterfall on Paradise! And that LA traverse can be a bit rough!

Not sure I envy you the 5 hr drive though.

The conditions continue to rock but everybody keep thinking snow!

Cheers,
-Neal

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Glad you made it!

Mr MRG Jr said:
Hey Greg!

Glad you made it up! Nice shot of the Waterfall on Paradise! And that LA traverse can be a bit rough!

Not sure I envy you the 5 hr drive though.

The conditions continue to rock but everybody keep thinking snow!

Cheers,
-Neal

Welcome to the forum, Mr. MRG Jr! Think I may know you from somewhere....PM sent :wink: