• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Glen 3/1/12

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied: 3/1/12

Resort or Ski Area: Mad River Glen

Conditions: P,PP

Trip Report:
I arrived at nine, one half hour before opening. There was talk of wind holds, oh no, not again. This turned out to be idle chatter, until later in the day. They didn't get a ton of snow overnight, maybe four inches of fluff. As was the case with the Bush Tuesday, with so much snow earlier in the week, the minimal snow freshened things up nicely. There is still tons of snow everywhere, especially in the trees. The wind was wipping pretty good. It was right at your back on the single, which was good, from the left on the double, which turned out being not so good.

I started my day on the double, bombing silky groomers, couple inches atop the groomed. I then ventured over to Slalom, a couple slabs of ice to negotiate at the top to get to the goods, not bad. Once past the ice, copious amounts of snow, loose, soft, pillowy bumps, very fun to blast through, very forgiving. If you were to yardsale here, cotton candy awaited your landing. I didn't find out, but I don' think I'd have minded, would havens been fun. Finding your gear would be the hardest part. After a couple spins on Slalom, I headed over to the single chair. After one bomber run down groomers, I headed for Lynx. It skied great with the four inch freshening, a little climbing at the bottom to get back to the lodge, not too bad. I stayed on the single till 1:30, then headed in for lunch. The food is pretty good at MRG, and they serve it on real plates and bowls, with real silverware, how refreshing.

I returned from lunch and noticed the line at the single chair had grown exponentially. Had people left work early to ski? No, they closed the double due to the wind. The wait was under a half hour, but limited my afternoon to two runs. The nice thing about the single is that it limits the number of people on the hill naturally, so when it is your turn, the mountain is yours. I hooked up with a local, Brian, we had shared my first chair of the day on the double. We hit the practice hill a couple times just because we could, reminded me of our blacks back home. He told me that when he was a kid his Mom signed him up for ski school after school because it was cheaper than daycare, gotta love Vermont! We picked up Liftline at the mid station, then veered skiers left down Upper glade. Every thing skied great. We were going to hit Lynx for our last run, but I believe they roap it at three, so we hit Antelope.

Tomorrow is my last day in Vermont, back to MRG, should be similar conditions, it was snowing while I was in the hot tub after skiing, pretty cool. What a great week of skiing! Salvaged my 2011/2012 season for sure.

Few pics, I'll take more tomorrow, supposed to be sunny.
IMG_20120301_130414.jpg

I saw people actually skiing through here to their cars.

IMG_20120301_123451.jpg

Some woods inbetween trails off the double.

IMG_20120301_112230.jpg

Slalom

Oh, FYI, I found out the kids in Vermont get the week after President's Week off instead of President's Week, so they can enjoy the slopes, great idea, for them.

Edd

Nice report and good timing for MRG. The one time I've been there we had 3-4 fresh inches on a good base and it was a pretty awesome day. Wish I was there.

dovoian

Great stuff! I went here for the first time on Monday and had an absolute blast - love this place!

What do you think it'll be like on Tuesday after this less-than-awesome Saturday forecast? Should I plan on going somewhere else that day? I hope the mountain is spared!