• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain 1/22 & 1/23

reefer

Magic Rocks
Doesn't get any better than Friday!
Close but not the same Saturday!
Still some great skiing left for Sunday!
Camera is still in the Xterra, but we've all seen and heard of it already this year.
Just a couple notes before a shower and night-night.
This is Gods country!
Could have skied anywhere in Vermont Saturday after skiing Magic Friday. Stayed at Magic, that's how good it was.
Longest lift line ever experienced there Saturday. Had to be 30-40 deep at 3:00pm. This included the second lot being half full including a bus! Think it was the OC's from Albany.
Was on the hill Friday with (40) of my closest friends...............seemed like my own private hill!
Great to see the activity and buzz around the hill this weekend.
Never saw this much groomed at Magic, (none of the good stuff). Great for business.............
Met a lot of first timers (to Magic) Saturday.
Sucks with the rain coming. They appear to be having a great year so far................

Last edited:

roark

Beautiful bluebird day Saturday... nice to see a lot of day tickets on the hill! Even being 'crowded', longest line I waited in was about 5 minutes. And of course, the limited uphill capacity means absolutely no crowding on the trails and excellent snow conditions, especially on the natural trails. Still some soft untracked to be found as well ;)

a few pics from Sat:
Red Line:
IMG_3732.jpg

Red Line entrance:
IMG_3735.jpg

View from the top:
IMG_3744.jpg

View, slightly more east:
IMG_3745_rotated.jpg

MrMagic

i was there friday ... a killer day
nice pictures!!

reefer

Should have been looking for you roark, figured you'd be there. Nice pictures.
I know I looked right at you Friday Mr. Magic, didn't put the pieces together.............
Was great both days!
Here's a few pics. Had a lot more but you have seen them all before..................
1.) Inn at Magic Mountain. Would stay there again. Walked to the Magic Lodge Saturday morning and left the truck parked there!
2.)Loose Moose Pub. I guess recently re-opened with a new owner. Attached to the Inn, it was a very nice bar area with roaring fireplace, and the food was great and reasonably priced. Key is - no driving involved!
3.) Mike at lunch Friday
4.) Lift Line at about 2:30 Saturday (not a great angle).
5.) Typical Conditions

Last edited:

reefer

Few more memories....................
Green Line, Scenic, twighlight zone, snow, snow

Last edited:

vt121

Great pics....

Saturday at was great... and I was happy to wait in lift lines... longest lift line I have ever seen there on a non-holiday weekend....

They seem to have things together this year...much more organized... and the skiing of couse was great!

WoodCore

Nice TR and Pics. Can't wait to get up there and rip it up!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Few more memories....................
Green Line, Scenic, twighlight zone, snow, snow

Hey Reefer,

Were the first timers enjoying themselves? I hope so. I'd love to see more return visits.

I stayed at the Inn on Monday for the first time. When you say walk to the lift, hey, you mean it - it abuts the small main lot, can't be beat, like a real resort town.

Agree also that the Inn seems to be more in synch with the operation - so does the store (glad to see it move downstairs), with more predictable hours, and the cafeteria keeping later hours. Still wish they had breakfast sandwiches before first lift turned though.

I'm glad to see all the people. I hope it gets enough that it warrants running the 2nd lift - that will be the real critical element.

I think a terrain park would go a long way towards getting teens, or better, families with teens on the hill.

I just pray this rain doesn't do irreparable damage. It is only January. I'm sure hopin' for a big dump real soon.

reefer

Everyone I talked to was having a blast. It was a good day to showcase the Mountain. The groomed half of the mountain was real sweet also. I agree that it will be interesting to see if they are willing to run both lifts if Saturday "crowds" continue.
The Black Chair obviously hasn't run in a while. There was two feet of snow on every chair. Don't know if it has been started at all this year.

roark

From my perspective, the black chair is a non-issue. The longest lines are still less than 10 minutes, really the longest I have waited in was more like 5. 'Regular' days you still ski up to the Red Chair. I definitely think we're seeing more traffic this year at Magic than in the past and I'm happy to see discussion of lines & wait times, but the focus should still has to be elsewhere - in particular snowmaking (pond capacity, general maintenance and ops). For the hours that it would be in use, not having the black chair isn't really an problem at this point. We've been fortunate with weather until today... hopefully mother nature is kind...

reefer

Well put by roark and SRO. Conditions (and weather) brought the "crowd" out. I hope no-one thought I was knocking the place with the lift line. I thought it was a great thing - Magic getting some much needed business. I never care if the black chair runs and realize they have bigger fish to fry. There was no line from 8:00 - 10:00, and from 12:00 - 1:30.
Snowmaking would be number one to ensure conditions - so people will continue coming. No thaw (so far) this year has been a blessing for them. Then maybe a lift for the beginner/intermediates which might be intimidated taking a chair to the top - although there are plenty of easy routes down from the top. All kinds of moms, dads, and little ones riding the Red Chair to the summit!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nice to read some TR love for Magic in here. Despite all the theories and comments I think it just comes down to the same common denominator that has worked for years. Good ski conditions and they will come and ski/ride it.
They did not used to. I have been to Magic on a few powder days during which most chairs went up empty. Clearly, more people do ski Magic when the snow is good. But there is clearly an increase in the numbers at Magic that is not entirely due to just good conditions.

polski

Website
twitter.com
From my perspective, the black chair is a non-issue.
Good to have it as a backup though ... the first time I skied there, season before last, we rode the black chair the first run or two in the a.m. while something got settled with the red.

Great to see Magic getting love.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Good to have it as a backup though ... the first time I skied there, season before last, we rode the black chair the first run or two in the a.m. while something got settled with the red.

Great to see Magic getting love.
They only turn the black chair when VIPs like polski show up ;)

jrmagic

I agree with roardk that the black chair is a non-issue at the moment. If we have good snow and good weather for President's week. I think it would be nice especially for the Saturday of the 3 day weekend an even he Saturday after as that is the torchlight parade and draws a good crowd as well.

As for the skiing this weekend it was very very good as already mentioned. Saturday it was every bit as good as last weekend. Sunday was alomsot aas good with somewhat firmer snow but still gppd cover in most places. redline looked pretty ragged on Sunday afternoon but was damn good on Saturday. I'm glad I decided to head up and not take care of my stuff at home. Tht is what the weekdays are for.

Hopefully the crew with ahve something left to work with after this rain event is done.

2knees

great pics reefer. its almost painful to think about what it must look like now.....
glad you got it when it was good.