• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mtn 3/5/05

Talisman

Hit Magic on Saturday hoping it would deliver some powder a few days after the storms and it did. The mountain had done more grooming than I like on some of the Black Diamond trails with a groomed swath on the likes of Talisman, Heart of the Magician and Broomstick. The groomed snow skied like silk chiffon and was wonderful. Blue bird skiy, sun, warm temps and not much wind.

Lots of powdery bumps in Twilight Zone, Lucifer, Sorcerer, and skiers right of Talisman. There were still powder shots on the sides of many trails and some of the wider spaced trees.

Magic had a good crowd and both the black and red chairs ran. The skier traffic made some of the steepr lines get thin later in the day: Sorcerer and the headwall on Lucifer come to mind.

What a fabulous ski day.

Greg

Staff member
Sounds similar to Friday, but none of the blacks were groomed. The groomed snow was similarly smooth, but TZ was the run to be on. Cool hill.

Talisman

Magic had a bunch of people from the New York Ski Council visiting this past weekend. I'm not sure if they intentionally groom the black diamonds more when they have a bunch of visitors to keep people from getting hurt. The grooming was limited to one pass of the groomer in the middle of some of the trails. Later in the day the groomed areas had bumped up again.

Twilight Zone had awesome coverage, fluffy bumps and few people. The connection point from Goniff out to the groomer had some thin spots, but the best coverage I have seen in 2 years.

It is not unusual for me to see people struggling down a single black diamond trail (some times with kids in tow. I will stop and ask how is it going? The people usually complain about the steepness and moguls. I'll ask what were they expecting on expert terrain and hear, "we can handle the black diamonds at Okemo and Stratton with out trouble."