• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maple Valley to Reopen??

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
We have a spare lift cable up at Magic they were inquiring about purchasing at one point. Not sure if they did.

I would love to see it come off NELSAP and think it could be a phenominal community mountain. I mainly wonder about its elevation in our current climate. They are considerably lower in elevation than the "golden triangle" and will have to make significant snow.

Best of luck to them I would certainly give it a ski. Go big...ski small

Glenn

We have a spare lift cable up at Magic they were inquiring about purchasing at one point. Not sure if they did.

I would love to see it come off NELSAP and think it could be a phenominal community mountain. I mainly wonder about its elevation in our current climate. They are considerably lower in elevation than the "golden triangle" and will have to make significant snow.

Best of luck to them I would certainly give it a ski. Go big...ski small

That's good to know. I beleive they were going to check the cables on one of the lifts. Maybe it needed replacing afterall.

Found another article: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/20...ine/pDno+(First+Tracks!!+Online+Ski+Magazine)

This one says the area will need another 8-12 months to get up and running for skiing. I'm sure a lot of that is cutting back the overgrowth and whatnot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone know how Granite Gorge does business wise? That would seem to be a similar sized area and about the same distance from Keene as MV is from Brattleboro.

MrMagic

Anyone know how Granite Gorge does business wise? That would seem to be a similar sized area and about the same distance from Keene as MV is from Brattleboro.

iv been there a few times since they have installed a chair lift. they seem to do a good business, they have a large tubing area with its own lift a big terrain park with its own handle tow, a learning area with a magic carpet. the have a number of decent trails from the summit including some low angle glades, they also have a large loop for XC skiing and snow shoeing.

the guy that owns it or at least did owns a construction company in the keene area he seems to be doing a good job with the area. on the times iv been there the place has been filled with people.

Glenn

Just a brief update. Not too much has been going on there lately. I'm thinking it'll probably be the next season (2012-2013) before they open. There is a log skidder parked near the lodge. Maybe they're going to start clearning some land.

tree_skier

They are having problems with the town and getting permits. There are a few abutters who don't want them to reopen. article was in the bratt reformer a couple of weeks ago.

AdironRider

Ahhh the whole NIMBY thing.

Retards considering their real estate would probably appreciated around 25%, maybe more.

House in woods near nothing special in VT.

House in woods near small local ski area in VT.

Which would you buy?

bheemsoth

iv been there a few times since they have installed a chair lift. they seem to do a good business, they have a large tubing area with its own lift a big terrain park with its own handle tow, a learning area with a magic carpet. the have a number of decent trails from the summit including some low angle glades, they also have a large loop for XC skiing and snow shoeing.

the guy that owns it or at least did owns a construction company in the keene area he seems to be doing a good job with the area. on the times iv been there the place has been filled with people.

Ditto. My family has a cabin in Sullivan, which is just up route 9 from Granite Gorge and Keene. I've never skiied there, but it always looks decently crowded. I've long been curious about it, but if I'm driving all the way from CT, it won't be to ski something smaller than Sundown.

Glenn

I'll see if I can get some more info from our neighbors up there. I don't think people are worried too much about the ski area; although, it may be the lights from the night skiing. I want to say some people close by are more concerned with the concerts and other events that may take place.

Glenn

Looks like they need a bit more time to get some proposals in order. Based on this info and what I've seen when drivng by, the probably won't open this season. But things are still movng forward, so that's good news.

More info: http://www.reformer.com/ci_18620885?IADID=Search-www.reformer.com-www.reformer.com

C&P:

Friday August 5, 2011
DUMMERSTON -- Representatives with the Connecticut company hoping to reopen the Maple Valley Ski Area as a four-season resort expect to have the necessary documentation completed sometime in the autumn.

Property owner Nicholas Mercede, who applied for a conditional use permit to resume operations at the site through the Stamford, Conn.-based MVS Associates, LLC, said his firm hopes to have a more definitive site plan to present to the Dummerston Development Review Board for its September meeting.

MVS Associates was scheduled to attend the DRB meeting on July 26, but the company did not have the proper documentation required to proceed. They do not expect to have the proposal completed by the next meeting on Aug. 16.

During a June meeting, the board requested more clarity in the ambitious zoning application to reopen the Maple Valley.

"We have to get more information. We're getting all the little things cleared up, we're getting the maps all set, getting all the information ready to go to the zoning board," Mercede told the Reformer on Wednesday afternoon. "It will probably be another two weeks after [Aug. 16], at the end of August, maybe in September and I will give them all the information needed for the permits."

Mercede presented an application earlier this summer to reopen the long-closed facility with activities extending from the winter season into fall. Plans also include a retail store and ski/bicycle repair shop,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as well as the mountain's ski school.
Planners ran into some obstacles with the board with some "pie-in-the-sky" ideas -- as a DRB member called them -- including hang-gliding, zip lines, archery camps and paintball.

During the June meeting, DRB member Lew Sorenson said the board would not address conceptual designs until many of the activities have been addressed.

The designs for the ski resort, located six miles north of Brattleboro on Route 30, would not change the existing trails or its lounge, though it would require some structural work.

Concerns were raised by the public about noise from the snow-making pumps and the light pollution from night skiing. MVS representatives said there are new standards and better equipment for lighting and snow-making fixtures that will reduce these issues, which were also problems when Maple Valley was last open 10 years ago.

MVS Associates hope to have the rehabilitation work completed within a year, but that does not include inspections at the state level for the lighting, septic system and other utilities.

drjeff

Glenn - from the way that article reads, you'd almost think that Dummerston is a major metropolis! Lol! I think that if the new owners just carved out a place or two for some of the Dummerston Development Review Board members so that they'd have a better view of the folks who sometime take advantage of VT's liberal nudity laws while taking a dip in the West River, they'd be good to go! :lol:

Glenn

Mitz and I did a little exploring this afternoon after we went swimming in the West River. (Clothed!)

We went down to the old Maple Valley parking lot across Rt 30. We went down to the river to scope out some swimming spots. We ended up seeing the intake for the pumphouse; pretty cool. Despite the rumors, the pump engines have mufflers; you could see them on the outside of the pumphouse.

There's not a ton of houses arouind the area. I'm sure there are a few people who would hear the pumps, or music if there was a concert. But it's not like it would effect the entire town. It'll be interesting to see what the owners come back with for a proposal.

Glenn

I'm thinking they'll come back with a scaled down version of an operating plan; open for skiing, and maybe a few summer events...concerts and some MTB trails.

*rumor* has it that the town was being a bit difficult towards them. So that probably stalled things a bit.

There has been some logging going on there. On the north side of the base area, there are two skidders and a bunch of logs. Lookslike they're heading up one of the trails to do the logging work.

Update:

http://www.reformer.com/localnews/ci_19597602

Maple Valley Ski Resort in Dummerston. (Zachary P. Stephens/Reformer) Thursday December 22, 2011
DUMMERSTON -- The development group hoping to reopen Dummerston's Maple Valley Ski Area has temporarily withdrawn its site plans to restart operations at the long-vacant resort.

The chairman of the Dummerston Development Review Board said property owner Nicholas Mercede, who applied for a conditional use permit to resume operations at the site through the Stamford, Conn., -based MVS Associates, has pulled his ambitious application at this time.

DRB Chairman Herb Rest said Mercede withdrew his application with the intention of resubmitting the site plan at a future date.

Since presenting the site plan to the board earlier this summer, DRB members have not heard from MVS Associates about continuing the public hearing, which was held in June.

Last month, Rest contacted representatives for the Maple Valley project and requested they inform the board if they were going to submit the materials.

"If they couldn't submit the required materials within a reasonable period of time -- we'd given them six months to respond or at least begin some response -- and we heard nothing that we needed to close the issue," he added. "They have chosen at this time to withdraw the application without prejudice, meaning they can at any time come back and ask for the same things that they asked for before."

With the original application pulled, Mercede would have to resubmit a completely new one to the board and schedule a public

Advertisement

hearing.
Attempts by the Reformer to contact Mercede and his Vermont attorney for comment were unsuccessful.

In early June, Mercede's company applied for a conditional use permit to resume operations at Maple Valley. His application proposed turning the 384-acre property into a four-season recreation area and possibly incorporate a retail shop and ski school within the main lodge.

But the DRB said during a June 21 meeting his plans were not definitive enough for the ski area and asked for more complete documentation. MVS Associates planned to have a revised site plan ready sometime in the fall, but were unable to hobble together a more detailed proposal.

Developers ran into some obstacles with some of the more big-picture goals for the property, including hang-gliding, zip-lines, archery camps and paintball. The result was board members declining to address any conceptual designs without a better plan.

"We needed a component site plan. We needed to have some specifics concerning external lighting, noise, snow guns, snow gun noise. We needed to have some specifics on the activities, they had multiple activities that they had identified ... and some of the things the applicants didn't even understand what they were," Rest said.

Located off Route 30 in West Dummerston just six miles north of Brattleboro, the ski area closed following the 2001 season. For most of its time in operation, the mountain operated with two double chairs and a t-bar, with a wire handle tow installed later for snow tubing.