• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

March 15-18 skiing Stowe, MRT, Jay...

Trekchick

I'm looking forward to some snow storms at Tahoe, but some friends of mine are skiing a little East Coast Road trip this weekend, hitting MRG, Stowe and Jay Peak........

any updates on the conditions?

k123

I am also headed to Stowe this weekend, anyone been there this week?

Tooth

I heard things are falling to pieces. Its been a bad week of warmth, NFP, heavy fog. Its not good. If I didnt have a season's pass and a house on mountain I would fold it up here in the East and head to Mt Baker. I for one will be heading out West after this weekend for two trips. I cant let the season end like this. Its as bad as its been at this point in years.

Trekchick

Are they bringing rock skis?
Word on the street is that they'll be leaving with rock skis, even if they don't arrive with rock skis.

You post here too?
Once in a while. What are you doing here? Last I knew, you got hit by a truck and refused to join us for our fantastic GTG and wedding celebration. BTW, we missed you!

JohnL

Word on the street is that they'll be leaving with rock skis, even if they don't arrive with rock skis.

Once in a while. What are you doing here? Last I knew, you got hit by a truck and refused to join us for our fantastic GTG and wedding celebration. BTW, we missed you!

Didn't refuse to join, hadn't been on skis since my accident. But had I known there would have been a White Wedding...

Grew up in Connecticut, went to college in Vermont, used to ski New England a lot. Unfortunately, haven't gotten to ski NE in a bit.

Last edited:

Trekchick

Didn't refuse to join, hadn't been on skis since my accident. But had I known there would have been a White Wedding...

Grew up in Connecticut, went to college in Vermont, used to ski New England a lot. Unfortunately, haven't gotten to ski NE in a bit.
In all sincerity, I hope you're healing well and will be able to come visit us next season.

As for the Gang doing he east coast gathering, it looks like they had a great time at MRG yesterday and will be enjoying what Stowe has to offer today.
Jay Saturday.

steamboat1

Stowe still had very good coverage Thurs. on the man made trails. Goat, Starr, Lookout closed. ROTD Chin Clip. It rained hard all day Fri. at Jay, I mean hard not intermittent showers. Never put my ski's on. Had a late lunch yesterday at MRG on my way down. It didn't look to good.

crank

I skied with the epic group Thurs, Fri, Sat. Thursday at MRG, we skied everything and coverage was fine up high and required a little creative route finding down low.. great spring bumps.

Friday at Stowe it rained off and on in the morning then settled in and rained steadily in the afternoon. We skied until about 2. Again great, soft spring bumps everywhere. Goat and Starr were open except for the very tops. We skied both and both were a lot of fun. Lower Goat was a little sketchy cover wise but not too bad. Saturday at Stowe...t-shirt weather. top froze up and some grooming had been dones. Everything softened up before 10AM another day of pounding spring bumps all over the hill... I mostly stayed out of the trees. didi a few small shots and the snow was quite grabby. Lots of holes opening up with water rushing under the snowpack. Any groomers, National, for instance, turned into bump runs by mid afternoon. Did I mention the surface was soft?

After 3 days of slush bumping my ancient knees were shot and I had commitments in Connecticut so I bailed, but from what I heard Sunday was more of the same at Stowe.

KevinF

Yeah, Sunday was more of the same. I got out around 8:30 and the Mansfield blue cruisers were already turning into bump runs. We did dial it down a bit, but we hit up National, Centerline and Chin Clip for some "real deal" bump runs. Poked around in the trees a bit which involved some route finding.

My quads were gone though... I just couldn't keep hitting bumps hard for a fourth straight day. It sure was fun up there though!

Trekchick

I skied with the epic group Thurs, Fri, Sat. Thursday at MRG, we skied everything and coverage was fine up high and required a little creative route finding down low.. great spring bumps.

Friday at Stowe it rained off and on in the morning then settled in and rained steadily in the afternoon. We skied until about 2. Again great, soft spring bumps everywhere. Goat and Starr were open except for the very tops. We skied both and both were a lot of fun. Lower Goat was a little sketchy cover wise but not too bad. Saturday at Stowe...t-shirt weather. top froze up and some grooming had been dones. Everything softened up before 10AM another day of pounding spring bumps all over the hill... I mostly stayed out of the trees. didi a few small shots and the snow was quite grabby. Lots of holes opening up with water rushing under the snowpack. Any groomers, National, for instance, turned into bump runs by mid afternoon. Did I mention the surface was soft?

After 3 days of slush bumping my ancient knees were shot and I had commitments in Connecticut so I bailed, but from what I heard Sunday was more of the same at Stowe.

Yeah, Sunday was more of the same. I got out around 8:30 and the Mansfield blue cruisers were already turning into bump runs. We did dial it down a bit, but we hit up National, Centerline and Chin Clip for some "real deal" bump runs. Poked around in the trees a bit which involved some route finding.

My quads were gone though... I just couldn't keep hitting bumps hard for a fourth straight day. It sure was fun up there though!
Can always count on you guys to have some fun.
Kevin, we have some fresh snow out here. You should come back.