• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mens skis for a woman: need advice

skisa

I am currently in South America for their ski season and need to purchase equipment. The selection is abysmal, and there are no women-specific skis available.

Most of the new skis for sale are a few seasons old. I am considering the Head Monster iM70 in a 163cm. I am 5´5¨and weigh about 125 lbs. I am an advanced skiier and hope to progress to expert this season. I ski on and off piste and moguls. Can anyone tell me if they think this ski will be too much for me?

Also any tips on what I should look for in a mens ski (what kind of stiffness, shape, etc.)? THANKS!

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I might go a little shorter on that ski for you, particularly if it is a stiff ski.

I am a woman, 5'9" and ski Volkl 6* at 161cm, the shortness is not a problem. Actually, a little too short is better than too long. My Rossi Bandit x's are 177cm and are not a problem either, but they are a much softer ski.

Is there any place to get some Demo skis to use? If so, I would try a similar ski to what you are looking at in a couple different lengths.

skisa said:
I am currently in South America for their ski season and need to purchase equipment. The selection is abysmal, and there are no women-specific skis available.

Most of the new skis for sale are a few seasons old. I am considering the Head Monster iM70 in a 163cm. I am 5´5¨and weigh about 125 lbs. I am an advanced skiier and hope to progress to expert this season. I ski on and off piste and moguls. Can anyone tell me if they think this ski will be too much for me?

Also any tips on what I should look for in a mens ski (what kind of stiffness, shape, etc.)? THANKS!

there you go!
The Head monster skis all ski Great!
Try the I-M-75 too!
The I-M-70 is basicly the Head I-lighting with more glass in it....The great thing about the i-70/i-75 is they can be skied by someone that is moveing up to the next level and wont let you down once you reach Expert.
Thoes/eather iM skis are truely Great Do- all skis. For beter float in powder go 4 the I-75 @163cm. my wife skis them she is 5'2" 125 lbs. (also skis the Atomic SL-11)But, linda is a bad assed skier....
Paul Elliott

thetrailboss

Staff member
I own the IM 75's and love them. If you're going to ski more off-piste stuff or will hit some deeper snow, opt for the 75 with the wider waist and the chip system. The 70's were a good ride as well...as for stiffness, well, best thing to do is to DEMO, DEMO, DEMO.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
just to chime in with a differing opinion, i thought the head IM particularly 'dead' whereas i prefer something with a little more snap and life (i think i demoed the 75 last season). just goes to show you what works for one person may not work for another so definitely demo those babies before buying. there are over a dozen skis from different manufacturers in that particular mid-fat catagory and each has a slightly different feel.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My Heads have a lot of pep to them...but then again they are the 2003-2004 models. Last season's model got luke-warm reviews...wonder if something was changed or tweeked the wrong way?

riverc0il said:
Last season's model got luke-warm reviews...wonder if something was changed or tweeked the wrong way?
maybe it's that whole chip thing they added?

That is what makes them so smooth, the chip that is.....The chip works well at speed where some skis out there will be flaping in the breeze the Head skis might feel damp.
In another post above some one sair to try the i75 in a wider foot print...That would be the Head i-85...i have a pair.
They are wicked fast in deep powder.
on the groomed they tend to ski like you have two canoes straped to youe feet. but when skiing steep chutes they are very stable.