• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mont-Sainte-Anne gondola incident

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
A 1989 chain-driven, extremely early 8 passenger gondola ran by a parent company who's struggling financially.

Color me shocked.

My quick research- for reference the only other 8 or more person gondola lifts still operating in North America that are older than that are Stratton's and Whistler's (the Stratton gondi was totally re-built about a decade ago, I'm sure Whistler's was as well). The grip technology was not really there yet for that much weight.

Last edited:

fbrissette

I’d speculate Covid was no help. Canada was pretty restrictive for awhile as I recall, shutting out a ton of foreign tourists.
Since it's a private company, it's only speculation. RCR flat out refused a serious offer to buy Mont Ste-Anne just last month, not the sign of a company in distress. RCR business model is not 'build it and they will come'. They operate at minimal cost and my guess would be at a good profit margin.

machski

Since it's a private company, it's only speculation. RCR flat out refused a serious offer to buy Mont Ste-Anne just last month, not the sign of a company in distress. RCR business model is not 'build it and they will come'. They operate at minimal cost and my guess would be at a good profit margin.
Yes, all of MSA's detaches are over 30 years old now. Someone is going to need to spend some cash soon.

ironhippy

Although Le Massif gets all the attention, I really enjoyed MSA.
Lots of great tree skiing and a good amount of lifts spread out so you can always find an area with minimal lines.

Plus the fact I could stay at the hotel at the base for a reasonable price and they kept the lifts spinning until 9 PM at night, I had some great trips up there.

Reactions: Edd

BodeMiller1

I’d speculate Covid was no help. Canada was pretty restrictive for awhile as I recall, shutting out a ton of foreign tourists.
Covid is a great excuse for everything.

Metal fractures, bad weilds. bird poop, x - raying old iron, I wonder how ling it was cracked. That's Canada's flagship resort in the North East.

Never skied there, packed to go there twice. Montreal is a sticky wicket.

fbrissette

That's likely Tremblant but I'd guess MSA is second.
Mont Ste-Anne used to be the flagship resort, but that was in the 80s. Intrawest then built the Tremblant Village and has long surpassed St-Anne. Le Massif also passed St-Anne when they build the parking lot access from the top, shaving 20 minutes (and up tp 40 in bad weather) of travel time. With the addition of the shiny new Club Med at the base of the Massif, it's not even close anymore. St-Anne is a great skier's mountain but in great need of investments.

2Planker

MSA is great, I agree. Can’t wait to return.
I highly recommend going in Feb for Quebec City's Winter Carnival (2/3--2/12).
They used to waive all the open container laws and it was insane. Think New Orleans in 5F
I (kinda) remember sleeping in a 24h Laundromat, and then hitching to MSA for first trax..

40 years later we'll stay at the Frontenac, and take their Booze Caboose 25mins to MSA

Edd

I see MSA has 39/71 trails open now. Does anyone know if this is because the gondola is still down? Actually thinking about a trip there first week of April.

jaytrem

Looks like mostly blacks and double blacks are closed, but trails are open all over the mountain. Must be lack of snow. April is a long way away, might be fine by then.

Edd

Back in operation today. Nice timing because I’m driving up tomorrow.

machski

Back in operation today. Nice timing because I’m driving up tomorrow.

Ironic since Le Massif's Gondola is done for the season. Gearbox issue on that one IIRC.