• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

More FIS WC action in the US for 22-23!

machski

For the first time in what feels like forever, the US will host more than two FIS WC events, doubling that to 4. K-Cup will unfortunately be the only stop for the ladies still, but the men ass stops in Palisades for a tech round (2/25-26) and Aspen for a speed round (3/3-5) post World Championships. Hopefully this is a thing and not just a one year off. Would like to see the men have a comp in the East as well, but midseason I'm sure logistics in the East would be tough for resorts.

jimmywilson69

Is there are anywhere that can actually host a mens event in the east? I'm assuming it'd have to be a SL GS, right?

drjeff

Is there are anywhere that can actually host a mens event in the east? I'm assuming it'd have to be a SL GS, right?

Could host Men's tech races? Yes. Sugarloaf and Stowe and even Burke or Cannon quickly popped into my head

Would the powers that be that control the WC schedule want that to happen? Much more questionable.

The bigger question for US races then becomes, especially since the late season, post World Championships or Olympics (depending on the year) races tend to be where new(er) venues are tried out verses the earlier in the season races which are pretty much locked into the schedule every year as long as the resort and the Countries ski governing body want to host them, is if the races in Aspen go well, will they get a regular spot back in the schedule. As Aspen used to be a fixture on the early season Women's schedule, until the FIS officials wanted Aspen to make some changes in their infrastructure in the in their general base area. There was some pushback and permitting issues, between the resort, the town and the FIS, and the place in the Women's calendar that Aspen had went to Killington, and I doubt now with the absolute sucess that the Killington Cup has been in the eyes of the FIS, the US Ski and Snowboard Association, and Killington, that taking those races away, as long as Killington wants to host still, is really even on the table, even beyond the duration of the current contract to host that they have

kickstand

Cannon hosted in 1967. Punch any variation of "cannon mountain world cup course 1967" into the Google Machine and you'll get lots of good info.

chuckstah

Waterville Valley has hosted a total of11 World Cup races, both men's and women's slalom and giant slalom, most recently in 1991. I remember watching Alberto Tomba win the slalom in 1989 and then get hammered at the bar in the lodge.

Dickc

Cannon hosted in 1967. Punch any variation of "cannon mountain world cup course 1967" into the Google Machine and you'll get lots of good info.
My Dad took me to Cannon in 1967 to watch., GS day Really wild as spectators were allowed to line the sides of the course WITHOUT any safety netting whatsoever! You could move from spot to spot along the course, you just needed to listen to the shouts of "Course" letting you know a racer was coming.

BodeMiller1

Cannon almost has the vertical (200' short). I think there are plans to add to the top and ski the same course.

It would be easy, and cheap by WC costs, to ad a temporary super structure. Something like when the snow-board-knuckle-draggers did Fenway.

I watched the woman's GS event at Waterville Valley a couple years ago. It was fun to watch them. Watching the reactions to there race coming off the course. Many of them travel with their families and doggies.

Smellytele

I haven't skied Waterville much in the past decade or so but did a lot during the Threedom Pass days and the pro mogul course was usually set on Lower Bobbies back then. bobbies has more consistent pitch lower down than True Grit IMHO.
Lower Bobbies seems to be left natural recently so it does bump up. At least when I have been there the last few years on the indy pass.
The bumps course on true grit has been on skiers left under the lift starting just below the start of the steep part and ends just after the trail starts to flatten. off the sunnyside lift it is easier to get to then Bobbies.

crank

I think they might be able to DH at Whiteface.

drjeff

I think they might be able to DH at Whiteface.
Whiteface and Sugarloaf could host a DH. The biggest "problem" is the bottom 30 seconds or so of both of those courses are across low angle terrain that frankly doesn't make for as exciting a course for spectators (both live and via TV/streaming broadcasts) and the organizers of races as well as the FIS tend to want a last section of the course that has some technical challenge that can make or break a competitors run and create excitement for the spectators

machski

Here's the Press Release. Lower Bobbies is named for the mogul venue at Waterville. I have always liked that trail better than Grit, never really got why True Grit was held up as the Alpha trail at WVV. Better name but Lower Bobbies is the better slope

Smellytele

Here's the Press Release. Lower Bobbies is named for the mogul venue at Waterville. I have always liked that trail better than Grit, never really got why True Grit was held up as the Alpha trail at WVV. Better name but Lower Bobbies is the better slope
I like Bobbies better as well. (Almost had a Freudian slip and had 2 O's instead of the 2 B's)