• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Obscure ski or boot brand you've ever owned?

deadheadskier

Staff member
For me it was a pair of Kazama skis I had in fifth grade. They were gray and had five holes about the size of a dime that went through the tips of the skis. The thought was that the holes made the skis more aerodynamic :lol:

I saw those in Strands ski shop and HAD to have them for Christmas.

you?

Not really obscure but my K2 Kreitler 193s that I skied on 2000-01 were mad steezy yo...they had the design of a eagle on them..but back then K2 skis had delam issues..I'll see if I can find an image of the skis online...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
For me it was a pair of Kazama skis I had in fifth grade. They were gray and had five holes about the size of a dime that went through the tips of the skis. The thought was that the holes made the skis more aerodynamic :lol:

I saw those in Strands ski shop and HAD to have them for Christmas.

you?

They were probably an old randonee ski with the holes in the tips which are used to make a rescue sled in the backcountry...

deadheadskier

Staff member
They were probably an old randonee ski with the holes in the tips which are used to make a rescue sled in the backcountry...

perhaps, but these were very short for the time. They were 150 cm in an era when most 'adults' were on skis 195 and up. Maybe 10 year old kids in Japan were into back country though :lol:

Philpug

I have and have had a couple pair of The Ski. Garmont ski boots. Molnar skis.

drjeff

I had a pair of Nishizawa'a back in the late 80's for about 2 months. Then let's just say that a few slalom gates crashing across their topskins at summer ski camp quickly did some serious delamination damage :mad:

Authier Vampire...wood topsheet, modeled after a ski made in the late 60's. Got a pair of Authier Zubiflex GS too...still have both pair in the basement. I've skied on some S skis...shop I used to work for sold them, but after skiing on them there was no way I was buying a pair. I think the S stood for spaghetti...aka noodles!

Puck it

Americana skis and bindings in middle school. Now, the awesome Icelantic Nomads. They rip.

Geoff

I've been on some obscure stuff over the years:

As a little kid, I remember having Northland skis with cable bindings
In 5th grade (late-1960's), I skied on Gerdau with Cubco bindings
In 1983, I had a pair of Century skis. They were a Hexcel-style honeycomb/foam ski.
I skied the Yamaha Paramount Custom SR in the mid-1980's.

powbmps

First pair of skis I ever had, used Hummer USA's. Just remember the yellow and orange color scheme.

Had some Hansen Spyder boots too. Damn cold.

Trekchick

Does The Ski count?
Pictured on the right
n830505017_1235056_7426.jpg

The skis to the left are my great Uncle Gunners.