• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 1-12-09

drjeff

Date: 1-12-09

Resort: Mount Snow

Conditions: Lots of both skier/rider and machined groomed packed powder, isolated powder turns still to be found, and full bore snowmaking on Snowdance(closed while I was skiing for SERIOUS cat work on some MEGA whales), river run, Beartrap, Ridge, Meadow and isolated other spots. Otherwise a bluebird sky, temps in the teens and a moderate wind.

Report: I spent today's hill time skiing with my wife and 5 year old daughter, and most of the day was spent enjoying some really nice corduroy(my legs weren't complaining after the last 2 days). I was even identified by an AZ "lurker" and her husband at the base of the Challenger Triple today :)

Not too much to say except that today was about as good a mid-winter non powder day as it gets. GREAT soft snow all over(except for a few wind scour areas in and around the immediate summit). The "re-normalizing" of Carinthia was going on full force this AM, and I think that I might just have to camp out for a bit this coming weekend on Inferno and watch the likely carnage that will be occurring as the non pros attempt the cannon box :rolleyes:

Based on the forcast for this week, this is going to be a VERY GOOD MLK weekend coming up. Mount Snow is covered deep and they're still making TONS of snow!

Euler

... I was even identified by an AZ "lurker" and her husband at the base of the Challenger Triple today :)...
Jeff, I'm pretty sure I was right behind you at about 7:55 on Saturday morning in line for Lift 9, you were with your daughter. I was just about to introduce myself when my 8 yr old started whining about his toe warmers and I elected to just take him back in and fix it rather than to force him to deal with it so that I could get some of that early corduroy that morning. We'll meet another time.

Saturday was no fun for us, after I got my son's toe warmers taken out, my daughter took a spill on her second run and tweaked her knee. Our skiing for the day was over at 8:25, but her knee wound up just being bruised, no ligament damage so she'll be back on the hill this Thursday with her school ski group.

I did get to go up Sunday afternoon with my wife and we had differing opinions about the conitions. Wife was a bit peeved that in addition to the anticipated (dreaded for her) powder/crud/mini moguls found everywhere at the end of a powder day, that Sweet Sixteen , a green connector trail between the main face and Carinthia was left with huge snowmaking whales to compound the challenges for her. I was loving the soft snow everywhere, wishing I'd been up there at 8.

I took advantage of the conditions to take my first shot at upper ledge...It's only since about the middle of last year that I've felt I had the skills to try the trail and I've been waiting for a day I was sure it wouldn't be icy. Well, Sunday delivered the right conditions for me, and I was psyched to find I could ski it with some measure of style and ease. All you CLITS who are seeking your "legit terrain" need to check that trail out if your at Mt. Snow when Ledge is open. It's narrow, winds through the woods, it's bumpy, and to top it all off there's a choke point near the end with a bunch of exposed ledge that one has to thread around or jump over. It's like Uncles on steroids! Fun stuff...

drjeff

Jeff, I'm pretty sure I was right behind you at about 7:55 on Saturday morning in line for Lift 9, you were with your daughter. I was just about to introduce myself when my 8 yr old started whining about his toe warmers and I elected to just take him back in and fix it rather than to force him to deal with it so that I could get some of that early corduroy that morning. We'll meet another time.

Most likely it was us, as we were I think the 5th or 6th chair up #9 on Saturday AM - I got to spend a couple of quality runs chasing the little princess hat down One More Time and Overbrook that AM. :)

Saturday was no fun for us, after I got my son's toe warmers taken out, my daughter took a spill on her second run and tweaked her knee. Our skiing for the day was over at 8:25, but her knee wound up just being bruised, no ligament damage so she'll be back on the hill this Thursday with her school ski group.

I did get to go up Sunday afternoon with my wife and we had differing opinions about the conitions. Wife was a bit peeved that in addition to the anticipated (dreaded for her) powder/crud/mini moguls found everywhere at the end of a powder day, that Sweet Sixteen , a green connector trail between the main face and Carinthia was left with huge snowmaking whales to compound the challenges for her. I was loving the soft snow everywhere, wishing I'd been up there at 8.

I took advantage of the conditions to take my first shot at upper ledge...It's only since about the middle of last year that I've felt I had the skills to try the trail and I've been waiting for a day I was sure it wouldn't be icy. Well, Sunday delivered the right conditions for me, and I was psyched to find I could ski it with some measure of style and ease. All you CLITS who are seeking your "legit terrain" need to check that trail out if your at Mt. Snow when Ledge is open. It's narrow, winds through the woods, it's bumpy, and to top it all off there's a choke point near the end with a bunch of exposed ledge that one has to thread around or jump over. It's like Uncles on steroids! Fun stuff...

Upper Ledge is one Awesome trail! One of my favorites, and unfortunately one run last year I DID find out that it's called LEDGE for a reason :eek:

Newpylong

Agreed. Ledge is like a flatter Rumble. One of my favorites.

mlctvt

Ledge is also very popular with the first tracks crowd. I was about the 20th person on the Grand Summit lift Sunday morning and I went for first tracks on Uncles. I didn't quite make it as there first but were just one set of tracks ahead of me. Next run was Ledge, I couldn't believe how many tracks were on that trail at just 8:15am! I'm not complaining though Sunday was a perfect day; powder, no wind and small crowds. I skied until my legs gave out just before 2pm.

drjeff

Ledge is also very popular with the first tracks crowd. I was about the 20th person on the Grand Summit lift Sunday morning and I went for first tracks on Uncles. I didn't quite make it as there first but were just one set of tracks ahead of me. Next run was Ledge, I couldn't believe how many tracks were on that trail at just 8:15am! I'm not complaining though Sunday was a perfect day; powder, no wind and small crowds. I skied until my legs gave out just before 2pm.

A bunch of those folks on Ledge 1st thing Sunday AM must have veered slightly left where Ledge meets Link as Choke was really tracked out around 8:45 when I hit it just after dropping my son off at Cub Camp around 8:30, and I was only the 2nd set of tracks hiking across Link from the top of #9