• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 11/24/07

Zand

Date(s) Skied: Saturday 11/24/07

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow, VT

Conditions: Worse than Veterans Day to put it blatantly

Trip Report:

Today was a bit of a waste of $52. Only skied 4 hours before I'd had enough of all the people and scraped off trails. I've never seen so many rude skiers on one mountain in my life.

Started off at Carinthia at 10:00 and took Nitro Express up to Deer Run to head back to the base. No more than half way down, a snowboarder cut off my step dad and took himself out (came flying off a jump right in front of him). Other than that, there are tons of people on the trail at once. The conditions were decent at that point though.

Hit the Summit Quad which had a 1-2 minute wait and took it up to Canyon. Canyon had the worse case of bottleneck on the first headwall with tons of people skidding all over the place but it was much better when it widened at the bottom of the steep. Hung a left and went down River Run which was receiving snowmaking.

Headed up the Challenger Triple and headed over to Chute (the little cut-across from the top of the left is almost completely bare... it's clear they haven't touched it with a snowgun since opening weekend) and to my dismay, IT WAS GROOMED. With tons of idiots skidding all over the steeps and skiing it off, it was not fun at all. Once in a great while there was some loose stuff off the lip to the left, but other than that it was horrid. 80% of the people on it shouldn't have been.

Headed back up and took Canyon to Standard. Canyon was less crowded at that point and holding the good conditions pretty well. Standard had some nice loose stuff to the right which had a couple small mogul patches and a couple small jumps. Tons of people though.

Next up were 3 runs on Standard as well as one on Snowdance. Snowdance probably shouldn't have been open... the top was decent but after that it was mostly rocks, grass, ice, and whatever was white was either scraped or bumped. Not to mention 500 people.

Headed back to the Summit Quad. As we were standing in line, the liftie waved for the 4 of us to go. The people in the line next to us kept coming out and wouldn't let us in even though it was our turn. One group got in front of us and then I'd had enough so I cut in front of the next group of 4 skiers and got into a small altercation.

Guy: Why don't you wait in line like the rest of us
Me: Maybe you should stop and let us go considering we were waved out about 3 chairs ago
Guy: Well you should pay better attention
Me: Why don't you tell yourself and the group in front of us that

At the top he had more words for me calling me all kinds of stuff and I basically concluded "You're the idiot, have a nice day" and skied off. Headed down Long John which was scraped off and had more people flying around out of control as well as ski patrol strapping someone into the dead sled. After we got onto Deer Run (which was completely skied off at that point) after the Carinthia intersection, some snowboarder came flying off the same jump on the left side as mentioned earlier, careened straight across the trail and sat right in front of some young girl making her way down the right side trying to stop himself from flying into the woods. She clipped the end of his board and flew head first into the woods and he also slid in head first. The 2 ski patrollers and the dead sled came down after us and one of the patrollers stopped, made sure everyone was OK, and then ripped off the boarder's pass since there were about 10 witnesses who stopped.

After we got through that mess I hit Vermontster which had some decent features, but it too was scraped off very bad as crowded parks usually are.

Took one more run down Deer Run to Season Pass which was getting snowmaking and decided to call it a day. It was probably my fault for even bothering going up the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but between all the idiots, GROOMED Chute, and scraped off trails, it was not a good day.

I'll have a Wachusett report this week sometime. As for Mount Snow, if theres a lot more terrain open for Christmas I'll be back, but if it's limited terrain, fuggedaboutit, I'm not dealing with masses of gapers on 5 trails.

2knees

Date(s) Skied: Saturday 11/24/07

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow, VT

Conditions: Worse than Veterans Day to put it blatantly

Trip Report:

Today was a bit of a waste of $52. Only skied 4 hours before I'd had enough of all the people and scraped off trails. I've never seen so many rude skiers on one mountain in my life.

Started off at Carinthia at 10:00 and took Nitro Express up to Deer Run to head back to the base. No more than half way down, a snowboarder cut off my step dad and took himself out (came flying off a jump right in front of him). Other than that, there are tons of people on the trail at once. The conditions were decent at that point though.

Hit the Summit Quad which had a 1-2 minute wait and took it up to Canyon. Canyon had the worse case of bottleneck on the first headwall with tons of people skidding all over the place but it was much better when it widened at the bottom of the steep. Hung a left and went down River Run which was receiving snowmaking.

Headed up the Challenger Triple and headed over to Chute (the little cut-across from the top of the left is almost completely bare... it's clear they haven't touched it with a snowgun since opening weekend) and to my dismay, IT WAS GROOMED. With tons of idiots skidding all over the steeps and skiing it off, it was not fun at all. Once in a great while there was some loose stuff off the lip to the left, but other than that it was horrid. 80% of the people on it shouldn't have been.

Headed back up and took Canyon to Standard. Canyon was less crowded at that point and holding the good conditions pretty well. Standard had some nice loose stuff to the right which had a couple small mogul patches and a couple small jumps. Tons of people though.

Next up were 3 runs on Standard as well as one on Snowdance. Snowdance probably shouldn't have been open... the top was decent but after that it was mostly rocks, grass, ice, and whatever was white was either scraped or bumped. Not to mention 500 people.

Headed back to the Summit Quad. As we were standing in line, the liftie waved for the 4 of us to go. The people in the line next to us kept coming out and wouldn't let us in even though it was our turn. One group got in front of us and then I'd had enough so I cut in front of the next group of 4 skiers and got into a small altercation.

Guy: Why don't you wait in line like the rest of us
Me: Maybe you should stop and let us go considering we were waved out about 3 chairs ago
Guy: Well you should pay better attention
Me: Why don't you tell yourself and the group in front of us that

At the top he had more words for me calling me all kinds of stuff and I basically concluded "You're the idiot, have a nice day" and skied off. Headed down Long John which was scraped off and had more people flying around out of control as well as ski patrol strapping someone into the dead sled. After we got onto Deer Run (which was completely skied off at that point) after the Carinthia intersection, some snowboarder came flying off the same jump on the left side as mentioned earlier, careened straight across the trail and sat right in front of some young girl making her way down the right side trying to stop himself from flying into the woods. She clipped the end of his board and flew head first into the woods and he also slid in head first. The 2 ski patrollers and the dead sled came down after us and one of the patrollers stopped, made sure everyone was OK, and then ripped off the boarder's pass since there were about 10 witnesses who stopped.

After we got through that mess I hit Vermontster which had some decent features, but it too was scraped off very bad as crowded parks usually are.

Took one more run down Deer Run to Season Pass which was getting snowmaking and decided to call it a day. It was probably my fault for even bothering going up the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but between all the idiots, GROOMED Chute, and scraped off trails, it was not a good day.

I'll have a Wachusett report this week sometime. As for Mount Snow, if theres a lot more terrain open for Christmas I'll be back, but if it's limited terrain, fuggedaboutit, I'm not dealing with masses of gapers on 5 trails.

damn! glad you made it out of the meat grinder unscathed.

Zand

Yeah... I'm also glad I made it up ther Veterans Day to ski Chute in it's glory.

snoseek

Sounds like classic t-day weekend skiing to me. Copper was downright scary today, looking forward to monday.

kap22

grooming chute

sorry to hear about your day. it would have been nice to keep chute ungroomed after I skied beautiful bumps on Friday morning. however, with the very cold temps coming in, we decided to groom or else those moguls would have been frozen solid by Saturday morning and not a lot of fun. making snow on freefall now so we can have a groomed and ungroomed trail on the face. just wanted to share some inside information.

Newpylong

Thanksgiving skiing is always tough and they lost a lot of snow with that warmup too.... Look's like more terrain opening up with these good snowmaking temps thank god. I heard today was a lot better now that the guns had some hours.

kap, thanks for the info.

2knees

sorry to hear about your day. it would have been nice to keep chute ungroomed after I skied beautiful bumps on Friday morning. however, with the very cold temps coming in, we decided to groom or else those moguls would have been frozen solid by Saturday morning and not a lot of fun. making snow on freefall now so we can have a groomed and ungroomed trail on the face. just wanted to share some inside information.

thanks for the info! Here is one vote for free fall being the ungroomed run. :smile:

Zand

^^Thanks for the input. Hopefully the temps stay cold the next few weeks so you guys can blow a couple good bump runs for Christmas as well as plenty of cruisers. Also good to hear things were better today... I imagine less crowded too, especially in the afternoon.

BeanoNYC

I had a completely different day at MS today. Conditions were great. People were nice. Not crowded at all; just lapped it from 8-10 w/o hitting any lines. After that no more than a 5 chair wait. Met Snow Reporter Luke at the summit...nice guy. Sorry to hear you had a bad time on Saturday. Holiday Weekend, I guess. That's kind of why we decided to ski today rather than yesterday.

Zand

Yeah... I know Saturday after Thanksgiving is traditionally one of the worst days of the year, and that coupled with Mount Snow's sudden spike in popularity led to a zoo yesterday. I was invited with some other people though so I figured I'd go. Otherwise I probably would've just saved the 52 bucks and gone on some less crowded December day. I actually hope to make it up there maybe once a month or so this year and eventually work towards a season pass in the next couple years. It would definitely make a good second home mountain that's reasonably close and a pretty easy drive.

I wish I could've waited till today but I had to be at the Quincy Christmas Parade. Man was the traffic fun on the Pike after that one... holiday weekend, 60,000 people coming out of Quincy, 60,000 people going toward Foxboro... not a fun ride home.

GolfingOwl

I was at Snow on Friday afternoon and had a somewhat similar, though not as bad, experience. Green from the top was ridiculously crowded and icy but that's what happens when you have one green run from the top. The blue runs being wider were much better. I had two young kids in tow and was very concerned for their safety. Many idiots on the slopes. These are the days when passes should be pulled. I like to ski fast too, but not when there are tons of people on icy slopes. I don't like to stereotype but nearly every near-miss of my kids were from snowboarders including the two that ended up crashing into each other as they both almost crashed into my 6-year old.

We hit Stratton on Saturday hoping for less crowds and better conditions but it was actually icier thatn Snow and very crowded in spots, though we did find some runs that were not that crowded so we stuck to them.

reefer

I was there!

I've skied Mt. Snow every Thanksgiving Saturday the last seven years and this was the busiest! Heard many employee spout "word got out" and it certainly did. Chute (along with several other trails as Zand explained) was dangerous, not necessarily because of people being rude, but amateurs going where they shouldn't. Only did a few runs over there and got out before someone nailed me. After investigating the hill, I found the best skiing right under the Canyon Quad. Lapped that about ten times to get a great work-out. Snow was all pushed over there on skiers left. It was like my own personal trail because everyone else stayed in the middle! Made the boundary polls into "gates". Hit the single line and never waited over a minute. So in short, I made the best of a bad situation, and left feeling pretty good about the skiing I did. Then again, I'm not paying $52.00. I actually thought I saw tickets at $63.00 Saturday!
I'd wait until they can make some more snow before I venture off to Mt. Snow.................

drjeff

One of the best things that I've noticed that Mount Snow did in its opening of terrain this year is to effectively segregate the majority of park users from the majority of skiers, even if they weren't really trying to. Basically, I REALLY enjoyed as a non park skier, having essentially the entire main lodge side of the mountain (Upper Canyon/Standard, Snowdance, River Run and Chute) free of the park crowd, and I'm sure that the park crowd appreciated not having to weave in and out of as many non park folks over at the carinthia side. The "mixing pot" area was the portion of Long John from the top of Nitro Quad down to where the Heavy Metal double ended at the top of the Vermonster Park. This is where it got interesting with a scraped trail filled with a mix of park users who wanted to ride Nitro quad instead of Heavy Metal Double and many lower level non park users on Deer Run coming off the top.

In the future when the snowmaking coverage goes up, the ability to cover Deer Run which runs paralell but slightly uphill of Long John in that area could really help keep the beginers from being overwhelmed.

All in all, Saturday was a very big November crowd.

Greg

Staff member
Chute (along with several other trails as Zand explained) was dangerous, not necessarily because of people being rude, but amateurs going where they shouldn't.

Hunter was pretty crowded yesterday since they only had one WROD open, but it seemed that the majority of the people there were pretty accomplished skiers so I never felt that uncomfortable. That makes all the difference. The low intermediates aren't the problem. It's those that think they can ski well that ski too fast and out of control.