• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 12/28/04

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 12/28/04

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow, VT

Conditions: Packed Powder

Trip Report:

I managed to fit in a non-Wachusett ski day in today at Mount Snow. Here's the trail by trail.

Upper Lodge/Exhibition: Nice and fast at the beginning of the day, but very icy at the top after 3. Exhibition was good the whole day with a few ice patches after 3.

Fallen Timbers: Probably the best trail in North Face today. Fast and not much ice the whole day. Large whales at the end.

The trail under North Face Triple (Trail map has me confused on names): Nice at the beginning of the day, but very icy after 2.

Trail under the Outpost Triple: Nice and fast at the beginning, large bumps and icy at the end of the day. Tons of whales to get air off of.

Cloud Nine/Thanks Walt: Some ice in the middle, but powder along the edges. Snowmaking on Bear Trap.

Mine Shaft: This is a black diamond? Seemed like a green to me. LOL. It was still a fun cruiser to open it up on down the very short steep.

Inferno: Another black that should be a blue. Again, good trail to open it up on. No terrain features here yet.

Upper Nitro/Lower Titanium: Good, fast run. I wish I could have skiied Lower Nitro, which opens tomorrow.

Snowdance: That trail is VERY wide, but only about 1/2 covered. Lots of beginners on it. One almost put me into a tree when I was passing, said "On your left!" and the kid turned left almost into me.

Upper Canyon: This should be a black, so I guess they have their blues and blacks mixed up (this thing is literally twice as steep as mine shaft). Good run, but a bit icy.

River Run: Peaceful and scenic un. How steep is Ripcord? It looks steeper than Outer Limits.

Ridge: Why didn't I find this earlier? My favorite run of the day and I found it at 3:45. Darn. I got 2 runs in on it.

The Summit Quad and Canyon Quad had large lines until lunch, when Summit's line decreased a lot and Canyon's increased. The summit triple was a bargain because it got you up faster due to not having a 5 minute liftline. The Summit Quad couldn't go 15 damn second without stopping either. It was a pain going up near the top because the wind was howling.

The base lodge was VERY crowded. The food I got was good, but wicked expensive. So, I don't like Mount Snow as much as Okemo or Sugarbush, but I'll definitely go back someday. (Killington remains my least favorite VT ski area.) I'm going to Wachusett tomorrow night, so look for that TR.

RossiSkier

Mount SNow is Awesome

I have been to Mount Snow twice already this year. They did a great job blowing snow and getting ready for the early season. I had great snow while I was there. We are staying for a long weekend next week and I cannot wait. Snow is 60 miles from my front door. We have an A Frame up the road in West Wardsboro. I love Snow. Used to go there in the 70's as a kid.

RossiSkier

Re: Moose

MsMtSnow said:
So did either of you see our moose?

Jess

Lucy the Mount Snow Moose

MtSnow7JAN05B (1).jpg