• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 12-8-08

drjeff

Date: December 8th

Resort: Mount Snow

Conditions: COLD, 3 or so inches of wind blown which skied like 0 to maybe 8 inches depending on what the wind had done to it

Report: Made it out for about 3 hours before having to rund up the kids and head back to CT. When my family got in the car at about 7:45 to go get breakfast @ Dots, the thermometer was reading -1, but fortunately the winds were letting down compared to the previous afternoon/evening! The much decreased wind made it tolerable as long as you layered properly!

The snow was pretty good, some typically wind scoured areas were as to be expected (read as the immediate summit area and the upper 1/2 of Chute), but lower down on the main face, skiers/riders left was blown in with varying amounts of nice dry fluff :) Lots of groups of PSIA folks on the hill for a seminar which made the Upper Canyon/Standard route almost seem like it was a Saturday crowd.

ROTD for me was Inferno. They flipped the fan guns back on and that combined with the fresh over night had it loaded with big whales of silky soft snow almost edge to edge!

Lots of snowmaking going on too. The finish work on Lower Exhibition, The Gulch, Inferno, the Superpipe, Freefall and then while not a big exciting trail, a section of Deer Run that will help with the traffic flow for novices around the top of Carinthia.

Actually felt "warm" around 1PM when I was picking my son up at daycare as it had made it upto about 12, the sun was shining brightly and there was no wind at that time :rolleyes: