• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow Closing Day 4/27/08

Zand

Date(s) Skied: Sunday 4/27/08

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow, VT

Conditions: Spring, Lots of Mud

Trip Report:

Very nice and late end to the 2007-2008 season today. Temps were in the 50s most of the day before climbing into the 60s when the sun came out. Very little snow left anywhere... the 80 degree week really did them in. I give them tons of credit for pushing it all the way to the end as most mountains would've closed if they had the lack of snow Mt. Snow has right now.

Anyway, arrived at the mountain at 10:45 to an empty mountain (the crowd did grow throughout the way) and realized right when I got on the lift that I forgot my sunglasses. The run down Canyon and Un Blanco Gulch sucked with tearing eyes.

Anyway, I headed back up after that and headed straight for North Face. The only trail directly assessable from the chair was Freefall, otherwise you had to go around the summit lodge or walk through the mud to get to the rest of the open NF trails. Fallen Timbers had some bumps at the top, then flattened out and became progressively more bare as you went. Chute was pretty much flat as a pancake except for the steeps. Freefall was a blast... lots of bumps the entire way. A few bare patches spanning the width of the trail that you either had to go to the very edge of the trail to get around or just blast over them. Committed had awesome bumps as well as a big bare spot. The top of Ripcord had bar-none the best bumps on the mountain. The middle of the headwall was VERY boney with the right half being bare and the left being all stumps and rocks. After you got past that the snow was thick with few bumps. I poached a run on Plummet which was nice for GS turns at the top, then required a lot of walking towards the bottom with a few patches left. Met 2knees around 11:30 and then with Jonnypoach and Powhunter soon after. Fun skiing with them and their friends from Killington.

Final run of the 07-08 season was the same as my first... Canyon to Standard. Took it at 4:10. Canyon had starting to get beat up from the traffic at the top but was all right. Standard has the deepest snow on the mountain besides one bare spot near the bottom. Chilled on the Cuzzins deck for a while before heading out at 4:45.

Well, it was a spectacular season with a lot of good snow. Thanks to Mount Snow, my season was almost 5 weeks longer than my previous longest and nearly 8 weeks longer than last year. I already can't wait to hit the Veterans Day bumps on Chute.

powhunter

Nice getting a few runs in with ya!!! Sorry if I seemed to be in a hurry but we got there late and I had to maximize my runs....

steve