• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow Saturday 11/10

Newpylong

Date(s) Skied: Saturday 11/10

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow, VT

Conditions: Packed Powder, Sun

Trip Report:

Mount Snow Blog W/Photos

For anyone on the fence about shelling out the money for gas and ticket at Mount Snow, I suggest checking it out if you're jonesing for turns! I arrived to an almost full main lot around 8:30. People were pumped to be skiing and no one could believe they were at Mount Snow so early.

Today was fantastic all around. On the Main Face they had the Canyon and Summit Quads running along with the Discovery Shuttle (beginner) triple. The route from top to bottom was Canyon to Standard and was awesome, in as good of shape as mid-season. With two HSQ's running I expected this to be human slalom but honestly it wasn't worse than any other day, and there were no lines.

With a short free shuttle (every 20 mins) to Carinthia the Nitro Quad was running with one top to bottom run down Long John to Fairway (Vermonster Park to be). They had tons of hits and features on Long John for now until they have enough snow for the park on the Fairway trail. The freestyle kids were eating this stuff up so early.

They had a few fan guns blowing (on their lowest setting, it was above freezing) on Standard and also Long John, probably more for marketing than anything. They were very impressive to say the least...

At the summit they were making snow on the trail that leads over to the Outpost triple and Chute, and there were also guns on Chute as well. I would say that along with River Run will be next up to open. Then Snowdance and Long John top to bottom.

Took plenty of pictures but forgot my cable, doh.

Here's to a great start to the season!

Edit: I just saw this on the Snow Report:
Randy and the snowmaking crew are doing all they can to get Chute and River Run open for tomorrow, which means we'd have three different top to bottom runs.

If they do, it's going to be rediculous tomorrow for so early in the season. These guy's mean business this year...

Feel free to add your thoughts for those who were there today!

BeanoNYC

Nice! As soon as I get out of the weeds at work, I'm heading up. Hopefully next Sunday after a Saturday visit to Jeff Bokum for some boot fitting. Thanks for the report.

Chris I

All I have to say is that it was a GREAT day. You pretty much sumed it up. I was expecting it to get pretty hairy by afternoon but the trails held up wonderful, no bare spots, no ice. Seems like they held up better today than they would on a February saturday.

Probably because the base didn't really have any time to freeze up.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds GREAT! Thanks for the report! I can't wait to get up there Monday, especially if Chute is open! :snow: :spread:

mlctvt

Good report Newpylong. Everything you said is true. I arrived a little late for first chair but I was skiing by 8:30. On my 3rd run I met up with GrilledSteeze and his buddy Jeff, I skied with them the next 4 hours or so. They're both really great guys, though about 1/2 my age :-? We looked for you Newpy but never did see you. Even though it was just the one top to bottom run on Canyon/Standard the conditions were the best I've ever skied before Thanskgiving! I'll be back tomorrow for some more. A truely great opening day.