• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee - 2/11/05

Jay Levitt

Date(s) Skied: 2/11/05

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Sunapee

Conditions: Powder, some scratchy

Trip Report:

(Keep in mind that this is only my 10th day ever on skis, and I was on brand new skis with painfully new boots, so take this all with a grain of, er, snow.)

Between busywork, paperwork and weak legs, I only ended up at Sunapee for about two hours today, 2pm-4pm.

Did some warmup runs on Eggbeater. Discovered that I am simply not ready to call Eggbeater a warmup; it's all bumps, relatively steep for me, and way too short, so it's basically just survival skiing. Took a tumble, and there was enough powder here to soften my fall; I'd say a couple inches.

In the morning, when I left Boston, all the lifts were open but the Express. But it turns out that over the course of the morning, nearly all the front-side lifts were put on wind hold, so the only way to the summit was taking a short lift to the top of Eggbeater, then waiting 15 minutes for a snowcat with a people-trailer so we could get a hayride over to the Sun Bowl. The place was empty; surprisingly, most of the folks I talked to were locals. Oddly, the big half-pipe was also closed; I can't imagine there's much wind there, and this led one skier to complain that Sunapee was merely saving all the good snow for the weekend.

I only had time for two summit runs. First, I went down Wing Ding. This was my first time ever skiing with any powder, and it was interesting. People keep telling me that powder skiing is far easier than typical East Coast skiing, but I can only imagine they're talking about a mountain where the whole surface is powder. Rapidly shifting from a foot of loose powder to tightly packed, mid-turn, certainly made the day interesting... is it my imagination, or perhaps my poor technique, or does powder require even stronger quads? But at least there was SOME powder on the trail here; sounds like other mountains got totally windblown.

To get back to the base, I went up again and took Ridge. This face of the mountain was seriously blustery, and much of the powder at the top was blown clean, so I quickly had to remember how to ski on crust. Zipped down better than I've ever skied, lost total use of my thighs about halfway down, and somehow managed to stay upright to the parking lot.