• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Zealand and Hale (Hancock Notch through Hale Brook Trail 10/17/09)

dailey7779

Website
dailey7779.blogspot.com
Date(s) Hiked: 10/17/09

Trails(s) Hiked: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, East Side Trail, Thoreau Falls Trail, Ethan Pond Trail, Zeacliff Trail, Twinway, Lend-A-Hand Trail, Hale Brook Trail

Total Distance: 25.7 miles

Difficulty: The first 15 miles were relatively flat and not much snow, then it became tougher with the hike up Zeacliff and up and down The Twinway in some snow and slippery conditions

Conditions: Cold, clear skies, and no wind. Temps in low 20's to mid 30's. A few inches of snow from Zeacliff to descending Hale Brook

Special Required Equipment: none, saw a couple of people with poles and microspikes but they weren't needed

Trip Report: Was dropped off by my dad and dog Mr. Smackers at 6:45am on the Hancock Notch Trail. All crossings on the Cedar Brook Trail were all easy and rock hop-able. There was some snow on the trail past the Hancock Loop Trail Junction and with the fallen leaf's it hid some of the wet boot-sucking mud sections.

When I reached the East Side Trail I went and checked out where the suspension bridge over the Pemi river had been taken out last month. It's all taken down, the cable is laying on the trail and the wood from the bridge is under tarp off to the side. I still don't understand why they took this bridge down for environmental reasons when they allow thousands of people to drive up Mount Washington each summer????

Thoreau Falls trail is flat and easy to follow for the first 2.5 miles then the blazes on the trees stop, the trail narrows, and is hard to follow. I got lost for about 5 minutes and stumbled upon a small beaver pond, and the river before I backtracked and found the trail again.

Ethan Pond trail is really cool walking through the Zealand Notch below Whitewall Mountain, the views are great.

Zeacliff trail had snow on it and was lots of fun eventhough it was VERY steep, slippery and wild! There were some killer views of the Bonds, and Carrigain Notch

Twinway had amazing crystal clear views of Mount Washington and the Presidential Range. There was some snow and some ice but no traction needed if you went slow on the icy sections.

Lend-A-Hand trail also had a few inches of snow that was well packed and the bogs on this trail were positioned perfectly

Hale Brook Trail had snow cover the first mile then it was just wet and muddy, there were great views of Mount Washington from the trail since all the leaf's are down!

Great hike, finished at 5:30 where my old man was waiting for me with some ice cold beers!

Click on link below for pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/cdailey7779

Mike P.

Sounds like quite a fun hike with several miles on seldom used trails.

Just checked the pictures out, they came out GREAT!

Last edited: