• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MRG Proposes Midstation on Sunnyside Double

thetrailboss

Staff member
According to LiftBlog, Sunnyside is getting a new haul rope and maybe a midstation to help in low snow years so folks can ski the machine made snow back down to the base.

Seems like a good idea.

PAabe

They had the planned midstation area flagged off when I was there this year. Seemed like a great idea to me but I'm obviously not a regular. My cousins took a lesson there and the jump from the the handle tow to the top of the sunnyside double is bit intimidating, partly because the very top of the run was pretty crowded due to it being narrow and partly just because it is a long way up... it would be great for beginners to be able to get to the birdland lift without having to go to the top, and I did think the birdland placement was a bit odd without a mid station on sunnyside to get to it.

Better access to snowmaking trails also makes a lot of sense, and where they had it flagged off to add the midstation did not look intrusive whatsoever to me

thetrailboss

Staff member
Why not use the money and invest in more snowmaking?
The MRG blog post says that their issues are: (1) lack of water, and (2) permitting.

Their intent is to make the terrain that has snowmaking on it more accessible in lean years.

doublediamond

And easier access for beginners upgrading from the handle to the greens of Birdland. This is just as important as the lean snow years.

Zand

And easier access for beginners upgrading from the handle to the greens of Birdland. This is just as important as the lean snow years.
To me, this is the biggest reason for putting in an midstation there. I always found it odd that in order to get to MRG's dedicated beginner lift, you had to take another lift all the way to the top of that side of the mountain and the only beginner trail into that area is a narrow criss-crossing catwalk which also usually is fairly busy with people getting to other trails.

urungus

Newpylong

There was a fairly lengthy document published at one point where the water alternatives were analyzed. Long story short there really are no alternatives. Even if they somehow managed to build a pond there is no water nearby to fill it.