• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Washington 04/27/08

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I'll skip the formalities. I took my kid and one of his friends from track to Tuckermans. We got there around 9 and after screwing around with our gear for a good long time got on the trail. This was first for all of us. I have hiked to the bowl without skis years ago but this was the real deal.

We opted for Hillman's Highway. We got soaked in the rain coming up and it was fairly warm too so sweat was a factor. The hike brought us to some of the nicest corn bumps you'll find. Basically we did it for one sweet run. We hit the bumps on the Sherburne till it was roped off and had to hike the rest.

All things considered it was great day. My son summed it up well: "As soon as I forget about how long the hike up was, I wanna do it again."

We are now ready to call it quits. Click the image below for a slideshow of the day:

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I've only been there once before and it was just to watch (the day after a 4 hr mtn bike ride and then we skied wildcat for the afternoon-took me week to recover). I think he has hiked there in the summer with some youth camp. Now that I think about it, climbing the biggest mountain in the east with skis on my pack is pretty dumb way to break back into climbing/hiking. My son is inspired to hike more though and that's a good thing. We're considering the 4000-foot club. He's a high school sophomore now and it would be cool if we could accomplish it before he goes off to college. Great kid.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
awesome pictures, sounds like a fun day. How did the sweat pants hold up during the rain?

The sweats weren't awful. I'm sure there are better choices but not in my clothing collection. I had my ski pants in my pack and put them on at Hojos. I wonder if lederhosen would be a good idea....

lederhosen-dirndl.jpg