• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Washington Cog Railroad / Bretton Woods 3-25/05

loafer89

My son and I skied the Mnt Washington Cog Railroad on friday morning. We arrived at the base area of the cog at 9:45am with a light snow falling and about 1/2" of new snow accumulated. I purchased a full day ticket for $59 as we planned to ski at Bretton Woods after taking some runs, and I could upgrade this ticket for a full day at Bretton Wods for only $16.

Snow conditions were machine groomed snow with areas of soot mixed in from the locomotive. I see now that you have to ski this place early or the snow really suffers from locomotive cinders, which is like skiing on sandpaper. My son and I took three runs down form the top and he had a fun time with the whole experience. The trail is quite narrow in spots, especially at the bottom near the base station and the glades at the side of the trail were frozen solid, so I did not ski them.

We skied at Bretton Woods from 11:45 until 3:00pm taking runs down Range View which was 100% packed powder as well as down Aggassiz which was my son's first mogul run, which he skied without a fall :D .
While on West mountain Warren also skied his first glade (Wild West) and he loved every turn.

We continued to ski Big Ben and Bigger Ben off of the Bethlehem HSQ and continued on to ski Two Miles Home from the summit of Mt Rosebrook. The weather conditions started out as snow showers around noon and cleared to nearly full sunshine by the time we stopped skiing. Snow conditions were packed powder everywhere except for near the immediate base of the mountain where spring snow had formed.

I was really impressed with this place as the lift network is really efficient with high speed lifts everywhere. Grooming is immaculate and the facilities are spotlessly clean.

Vortex

I'm glad you had fun. I did see you post and ask for help orignally, not many of us seem to go there. Wasn't avoiding your quest for help. Looks like you did fine. :D

thetrailboss

Staff member
loafer89 said:
My son and I skied the Mnt Washington Cog Railroad on friday morning. We arrived at the base area of the cog at 9:45am with a light snow falling and about 1/2" of new snow accumulated.

This is one thing that I do give them credit for...it always snows there! :wink:

loafer89 said:
I was really impressed with this place as the lift network is really efficient with high speed lifts everywhere. Grooming is immaculate and the facilities are spotlessly clean.

Yes, as much as I consider them :evil: , they do get props for bringing the place up to speed and doing some good work...

loafer89

I've added pictures of my trip to the galley, but I cannot seem to be able to add a name to each gallery?? . Bretton Woods really goes out of there way to make the skiing a real pleasure, the price of lodging at the area leaves something to be desired though as it is really expensive.

We stayed at the Mountain View Resort in Whitefield, which was expensive for sure, but not as much as at the Mount Washington Hotel.

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
I've added pictures of my trip to the galley, but I cannot seem to be able to add a name to each gallery??
From within each sub-album, select properties from the << admin options >> menu. You will then get a pop-up window where you can set the album title. Be sure to click "Apply". More info.