• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nashoba to host Summmer Olympics Events and the ski area did not even know about it.

Puck it

Te point that I find out of this world, is the owners did not know that their ski area was even being talked about in the proposal!

Bostonian

What Boston needs is to set up some more canoe slalom courses on the Charles. And maybe some dedicated speed-walking lanes on that pilgrim hat highway. But probably the best way to get people out of cars is to let them commute by trampoline. Bostonian - I'm available if you guys are hiring.
If I were to be working for the MBTA - I would say visit www.mbta.com and look at career opportunities... That is if I were to work for them.

I completely agree. It will never get done in my lifetime otherwise. Maybe they'll even connect Boston to NY with a real high speed corridor. :)
We already have it through the Acela - it's just NORAC limits their high speed capacity due to box signals and crap like that.

The Crosby's Corner overpass should be complete by next year, I believe. Should vastly improve traffic as you'll be able to drive regular speed through that turn.
Only to have the choke points be at Kelly's Corner and walden pond

Te point that I find out of this world, is the owners did not know that their ski area was even being talked about in the proposal!
Scary actually that the committee would make that promise without consulting with Nashoba!

Jully

If I were to be working for the MBTA - I would say visit www.mbta.com and look at career opportunities... That is if I were to work for them.

We already have it through the Acela - it's just NORAC limits their high speed capacity due to box signals and crap like that.

Exactly. That's why a real high speed corridor designated for high speed travel only would be awesome. Amtrak's 2050 master plan actually has this. They want to build three more sets of tracks through the northeast with varying levels of speed and stops. Of course the funding for this will never happen so the plan, sadly, is largely fantasy, but I do not consider the Acela high speed at all.

Jcb890

Wow, that's hilarious that the Boston 2024 group didn't even bother to check with people where they would hold their venues. Pretty solid planning there! Don't worry though, they already know that there won't be any funds coming from taxes for this. That is the biggest bold-faced lie we have maybe seen. You expect us to believe none of the budget will fall on tax payers? Absolutely 0 chance of that happening.

I think my favorite part of the whole bid for Boston was that organizers were going to open up voting/polling to see if there was support to host the 2024 Olympic games in Boston... AFTER they had already submitted Boston and had Boston be the choice for the US for the 2024 Olympics. A complete mess and train wreck from the start and I'm sure that would continue until the finish.

The Olympics are cool and all, but overall, hosting the Olympics would probably have more detriments than benefits in a city like Boston.

Expecting any road work to get done in time and correctly is amusing to me as well. They have been working on 290 in the same spots for the last 15 years!! Every time they "finish" working on it, they have done such a fantastically terrible job that it has to be re-done again within a year.

Edd

It blows my mind that any professional person could, straight-faced, support a Boston bid for the Olympics. You'd have to achieve the maximum levels of dishonesty and incompetence to pursue it. Just assume everything they say is a lie or incorrect.

Jcb890

I'm willing to lie for better roads and rail. big lies.

You also live in NH and wouldn't be stuck footing any of the bill. If I lived in NH I would 100% be on board with an Olympic games being held in a nearby state. Living in MA, I pay plenty of taxes as it is. Enough that the roads should be able to be taken care of. I have no faith in the politicians and people in power to run it properly and I have no faith in the companies and their workers to perform the jobs successfully, properly and within a budget for time and money. Why should we expect anything less than utter ineptitude when we have so many examples all over the state?

SkiFanE

I'm willing to lie for better roads and rail. big lies.

i have lived and commuted in and around Boston since you were probably still in your play pen. I have lived through all sorts of improvements/upgrades on my commutes. And none of them has made my commute better. It's much worse year after year. More people year after year. Build it wider and it just fills. Rt3 from burlington is near me - going from 2-3 lanes did nothing and my town is a cut through and it's worse around town now then before. Took my 20 mins to drive the 2 miles I to town to bring him to soccer tonight.

And the the infrastructure upgrades are needed badly regardless of Olympics (not bigger, but new). It's funny how getting 10,000 people from Boston to nashoba Valley for Olympics requires upgrade when probably many more than that go to/from every M-From now.

I am also thankful for telecommuting - without those people staying off roads imagine how much worse it would be? My dept allows 1/day week - that's 20% less time were commuters.

My my friend works for MBTA. Good job, good pay, pension and sick time (hehe). But really - he birches about craxy politics but also a good safe job for his type of work.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh I recognize it's always been bad. I remember my father waking me up at 5AM some mornings in the 70s as he headed out to work in Boston and not bothering to come home until after 630 at night. He would love it today as there's now commuter rail service where I grew up.

Burlington area is the worst. Even at 10:30AM this morning 128 was stop and go gridlock in the area.

I don't think you put your head in the sand and stop road and rail expansion though. With the best concentration of universities, hospitals and biotechnology companies in the country only more people will move there.

freeski

Commutes are not all peaches in NH. Coming into Concord on 93N can be backed up 8 miles to the tolls in Hooksett on a Friday at rush hour. The bridges going over the Oyster River on Dover has been a nightmare for years. Yep, it's true the more you build the more will come.
I like the Olympics, but have been turned off by the past corruption and dishonesty in bringing them to Boston. If you dig I'm sure there are a lot of Nashobas out there. They want to dig up the Boston Common to put in a volleyball arena. Didn't ask anyone about that either.

Jcb890

Someone in NH better read that proposal carefully. Who knows what the state might be on the hook for in it!

It would depend on if there would be infrastructure improvements in NH I guess, right?

Commutes are not all peaches in NH. Coming into Concord on 93N can be backed up 8 miles to the tolls in Hooksett on a Friday at rush hour. The bridges going over the Oyster River on Dover has been a nightmare for years. Yep, it's true the more you build the more will come.
I like the Olympics, but have been turned off by the past corruption and dishonesty in bringing them to Boston. If you dig I'm sure there are a lot of Nashobas out there. They want to dig up the Boston Common to put in a volleyball arena. Didn't ask anyone about that either.

I had no clue about Boston Common. How is that gonna fly? Spot on about corruption and dishonesty. Did you see the stuff they ran on the news about the people who basically gave themselves huge raises for their new jobs with the Boston 2024 campaign? I'd say I can't believe that they proposed things without even talking to the places first, but sadly, I can.

Edd

I feel like I've mentioned this here. I noticed recently that they removed the toll booths from the Tobin bridge. Seems like a game changer, as we sailed right across.

I wish they'd do the same on the Spaulding. Removing the Dover tolls would help a lot.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The lack of toll booth has definitely helped heading South into the city.

Two projects that would really help on the way out of Boston on route 1:

Expanding route 1 to three lanes at the Route 60 exit. It drops down to two lanes there before converting back to three further up the road where 99 comes in from the left. Probably never happen as it would involve expanding the bridge over the wetlands there. That choke combined with the oncoming traffic from route 60 causes the worst of the traffic jams on Route 1 North.

The second project is getting rid of the stupid jug handle and light in Peabody. If you screwed up and missed the turn off to 95 South a half mile south of there, too bad; head up to the traffic circle in Danvers to turn around. There shouldn't be a traffic light there slowing everything down in both directions for the minor number of people who screwed up on how to get to 95 South.

Edd

Expanding route 1 to three lanes at the Route 60 exit. It drops down to two lanes there before converting back to three further up the road where 99 comes in from the left. Probably never happen as it would involve expanding the bridge over the wetlands there. That choke combined with the oncoming traffic from route 60 causes the worst of the traffic jams on Route 1 North.

That's a bad choke point. I hit that at the perfect afternoon rush hour time coming north a couple of weeks ago. Great time to catch up on podcasts.

prsboogie

Only in MA would it take 10 years to lay four miles of track.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Major problem is no one is willing to put the screws to the lazy, grossly over paid union shops that do these jobs. Their all afraid to loose their kickbacks for hiring sub par companies.

VTKilarney

I don't think you put your head in the sand and stop road and rail expansion though. With the best concentration of universities, hospitals and biotechnology companies in the country only more people will move there.
The problem is that expansion does not lead to less congestion. It leads to more sprawl which results in the same congestion that was trying to be averted. It's counterintuitive, but it's been proven time and time again.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The problem is that expansion does not lead to less congestion. It leads to more sprawl which results in the same congestion that was trying to be averted. It's counterintuitive, but it's been proven time and time again.

I've read plenty of those studies and I get what you're saying, but the population won't stop growing / sprawling no matter what in an area as small as inside the 495 belt. This especially in a city like Boston, which has one of the best economies in the country. If you stop adding lanes/trains etc, it doesn't stop population growth. Not all of that population growth is going to occur as high rises in the city within walking distance of jobs and services. A lot will still occur in the suburbs. So, traffic just gets worse and worse on what is already there.

Jully

However if you widen the highways more people might start driving that previously felt unable to do so because of the traffic thus not necessarily relieving congestion.