• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

National Geographic lists out Top 25 Ski Towns

HowieT2

Yeah, SLC and Denver were not on this list.

As to Waitsfield/Warren: as much time as I spent at Sugarbush, I never really considered them to be in the same league as Stowe, Aspen, or Park City when it comes to amenities. Hell, there have been many threads here and on the SkiMRV forum that point out how night life in the MRV really sucks. And Fayston? Really?

Don't get me wrong...I love them. Reminds me of my home in the NEK with dirt roads, some farms, etc. But I would not say great "ski towns" in the sense that most folks think of ski towns.

true, not much in terms of nightlife after one is done with the restaurants which are great

HowieT2

In all the years I've skied Sugarbush I've never even driven down into Warren.

maybe not your scene, but the general store has great breakfast, sandwiches, lawson's and the pitcher inn is a really nice restaurant with an awesome bar downstairs.

Savemeasammy

I haven't spent time there, but Montpelier is situated in a good spot. Most of the northern vt - and even N NH mts - are easily accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thetrailboss

Staff member
true, not much in terms of nightlife after one is done with the restaurants which are great

Yeah I don't know. There just did not seem to be much variety. Maybe it's deceiving because they are all spread out.

maybe not your scene, but the general store has great breakfast, sandwiches, lawson's and the pitcher inn is a really nice restaurant with an awesome bar downstairs.

True, but those are two places. You can't even compare the MRV to Park City.

And nobody is saying Killington?

xwhaler

Very nice? Top 10? Dude....
Are you suggesting Rangeley is not very nice? Or do you have it ranked outside the Top 10? Or both?

Rangeley typically doesn't get the press it deserves I dont think or its snowmobile centric reputation holds skiers back from making a trip up...theres more going on there one would think. Movie theatre, bowling alley, restaurants, hotels etc. all right downtown and the little village of Oquossoc also nearby.

skiNEwhere

What makes a ski town? Apres-ski? A ski culture? Trying to secede from the state? If so, I'd say Killington could make the cut.

dlague

http://www.killingtontown.com/

Forget when but not to long ago the town of Sherburne changed it's name to Killington.

In fact, Killington is a town!

Killington is a town in Rutland County, Vermont, United States. The population was 811 at the 2010 census. Killington Ski Resort and numerous vacation lodges are located here. The town was previously named Sherburne, but was renamed to its original name, "Killington", in 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killington,_Vermont

Edd

Are you suggesting Rangeley is not very nice? Or do you have it ranked outside the Top 10? Or both?

I would not call it nice. I'd call it a typical bum-you-out (bleak) Maine rural town.

Be that as it may, you did say the east, so I should back off on the top ten thing. I might agree with you about that.

HowieT2

Yeah I don't know. There just did not seem to be much variety. Maybe it's deceiving because they are all spread out.

True, but those are two places. You can't even compare the MRV to Park City.

And nobody is saying Killington?

apples and oranges. personally, im not looking for park city.

xwhaler

I would not call it nice. I'd call it a typical bum-you-out (bleak) Maine rural town.

Be that as it may, you did say the east, so I should back off on the top ten thing. I might agree with you about that.

Fair enough. I happen to think Rangeley is quite nice.....certainly better than Rumford, Skowhegan, Madison, Kingfield, etc.
Nestled in amongst the lakes and mountains, there are some very impressive properties on both Rangeley and Mooselookmeguntic. 2 golf courses in town as well.....to me Rangeley is the nicest pure town (ski town or otherwise) North of Portland and west of the coast.

BenedictGomez

How is that? I mean the valley is small but why does that disqualify it from this list.

Lack of restaurants, lack of shopping, lack of bars and nightlife, lack of ancillary activities (compared with many other ski towns), etc.... It's just way too small to be a top-25 ski town.

bobbutts

Girdwood appears to be a few houses and hotels, seems insane to rank it #1.
Whistler, Jackson, Chamonix, Zermatt,
Kitzbühel, Park City, Banff all make more sense to me.

Edd

Fair enough. I happen to think Rangeley is quite nice.....certainly better than Rumford, Skowhegan, Madison, Kingfield, etc.
Nestled in amongst the lakes and mountains, there are some very impressive properties on both Rangeley and Mooselookmeguntic. 2 golf courses in town as well.....to me Rangeley is the nicest pure town (ski town or otherwise) North of Portland and west of the coast.

The geography is very nice, I agree. If we ever ski together, I'll tell you a funny story about a time I stayed there. Not something I'd post.

Do you have an eatery recommendation there? I've tried a few places but nothing has wowed me.

xwhaler

The geography is very nice, I agree. If we ever ski together, I'll tell you a funny story about a time I stayed there. Not something I'd post.

Do you have an eatery recommendation there? I've tried a few places but nothing has wowed me.

Best place is actually over in Oquossoc on the shores of Mooselook. Bald Mountain Camps does a very nice job in a great setting if you are there for a sunset dinner. Gingerbread House is decent.
I'm actually going to be in Rangeley this Sunday. Looking at 45th Parallel which is a new BBQ joint attached to the Saddleback Inn.
Forks in the Air Bistro is also new, I haven't been but reviews are solid.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lack of restaurants, lack of shopping, lack of bars and nightlife, lack of ancillary activities (compared with many other ski towns), etc.... It's just way too small to be a top-25 ski town.

I love the MRV...but I only drove there to ski and left because I was a local. When folks would ask me for advice on where to eat or have fun besides the slopes and it was tough. Yes, PC is different than the MRV, but that is a big difference. PC has a lot more going on than the two towns in the MRV combined with Waterbury.