• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need some all-mtn ski help, please

Greg

Staff member
Fat skis with a wide stance is the cool way to play these days, I guess...

WWF-VT

I have demo'd 156 cm Rossi B78's and 172 cm Dynastar 8K. I'm 5' 7" , 180 lbs and current ski is a 170cm RX8. I recently purchased last years model of the Fischer Watea 78's at 167 cm. Looked for a wider option as last year found myself spending a lot more time in soft snow and the woods.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
5'8" is a tough call. You'll have to make the call depending upon what is more important or look at a different ski that has a better middle ground size point. I have left a lot of skis on the table because they did not offer the length I wanted.

For what it's worth, my 8000s are 79 under foot and most of my powder days are skied on them. No need to bring out the phatties for anything less than 7-8".... especially if you are dealing with less than half a foot that is mostly tracked up. "Mid-fats" are more than fine for the average skier even on a powder day so don't go short thinking you need another ski that is longer just for powder (unless you really want one of course.... it certainly is the best way to go, IMO, if you enjoy your pow). The Watea comes in an 84 option as well if powder/crud performance is more important. But the price point you got is pretty darn good. I never sacrifice performance for a better price, though.

The Sneak

At this point it's either Dynastar Legend 8000s in 172 or Fischer Watea 78s in 167.

I don't get to hit enough powder days to justify anything wider.

tjf67

At this point it's either Dynastar Legend 8000s in 172 or Fischer Watea 78s in 167.

I don't get to hit enough powder days to justify anything wider.
The ski I use for boiler plate days is 84 under foot. Powder ski 98.

deadheadskier

Staff member
5'8" is a tough call. You'll have to make the call depending upon what is more important or look at a different ski that has a better middle ground size point. I have left a lot of skis on the table because they did not offer the length I wanted.

For what it's worth, my 8000s are 79 under foot and most of my powder days are skied on them. No need to bring out the phatties for anything less than 7-8".... especially if you are dealing with less than half a foot that is mostly tracked up. "Mid-fats" are more than fine for the average skier even on a powder day so don't go short thinking you need another ski that is longer just for powder (unless you really want one of course.... it certainly is the best way to go, IMO, if you enjoy your pow). The Watea comes in an 84 option as well if powder/crud performance is more important. But the price point you got is pretty darn good. I never sacrifice performance for a better price, though.

I'm in Steve's camp on this one, though I've never skied anything in the 80-105 waste range, so I wouldn't know if I'm missing anything.

I'm 5'8" 195lbs and ski on a 174 Rossi B2's with a 78mm waste. For the most part the length and width are more than sufficient for powder days up to about 8" at which point I bring out the Fatties (110 mm waist, 184 length). I skied 20 days last season and used the Fatties twice.

Glenn

Fat skis with a wide stance is the cool way to play these days, I guess...

Whatever works. I finally feel like I have a handle on what's what. It's tough being out of it and jumping back in after so much stuff has changed. "They have twin tip skis now?" :spin:

The Sneak

Bought the demo Watea 78s in 167 for $150 shipped. Thanks all for your advice and input. Can't wait to get em tuned and will hopefully be able to report back on my impressions within a few weeks.

rueler

I found some demo watea 78s in 167 for stupid cheap. Are these too shrot? Would I be okay on 167 or better off with 174s?

How do they compare with Legend 8000s?

They're not too short!! I'm 5'11" 180 lbs. and ski the 167 Watea 78. One of my favorite pair of skis that I have ever turned on. Very versatile ski. You will have tons of fun on them!