• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need suggestions for tomorrow

volvovod

No matter what the weatherman says, I plan to be skiing this weekend. :daffy: Two of us (me and the middle son) will be at Jay Sunday and Monday. We will be leaving tomorrow, ski somewhere on the way, and keep driving north. Given the weather pattern (i.e. - rain, followed by a rapid freeze and winds Saturday morning:oops:) where should we ski tomorrow? I am considering Cannon, Loon, Burke, Sunappe, or even Sugarbush. Which of these places is least likely to have wind holds or large holiday crowds? Which one is likely to have most open terrain (and I mean skiable terrain)? Thanks....

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The BW suggestion is sound for both the wind and conditions. BW is flatter with good grooming and WM may get snow on the backside at upper elevations. Not sure about crowds. It also fits your desire to ski somewhere on the way to Jay. Bush is wind prone and is definitely not on the way to Jay as it sounds like you are coming up 93. Loon will be mobbed. Cannon and Burke could go either way. I would go Cannon over Burke as there is more to ski at Cannon if ungroomed goes off line.

Cannonball

3rd recommendation for BW here. For the reasons listed.

Burke and Cannon would normally be a toss up. Riv makes a good point about the ungroomed at Burke vs Cannon. On the other hand, Cannon will very likely have upper mtn wind holds. If that happens you lose the tram and Cannonball chairs. That will majorly concentrate what would otherwise be your best option for limited holiday liftlines.

Loon on holiday/vacation weekend...have fun with that!

Sunapee would still leave you a long drive in tough driving conditions late in the day.

Sugarbush? Maybe so, if you don't mind going that way. It's never a bad time to hit SB.

Personally I'd save the $$ and legs for Sun-Mon, make it a casual drive up, and check out some off-beat scenery along the way.

bobbutts

hate to say it, but tomorrow is going to suck.. I'd skip it.
Top concerns are grooming skill and high wind protection. BW wins, Loon and Sunapee would prolly be ok, but crowded and possible holds.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't think Cannon is going to get wind holds on this one. I could be wrong. I think Cannon is a safe bet. I think BW will have more open and is a bomb proof bet on the wind hold issue. If you'd rather Cannon or Burke than BW, just stop at Cannon first and if they are on wind hold, keep going to Burke.

Cannonball

I don't think Cannon is going to get wind holds on this one. I could be wrong. I think Cannon is a safe bet.

I hope that's true. But looking at the NWS elevation forecast at Cannon it looks like there's potential....

Saturday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 12. Wind chill values as low as -21. Very windy, with a northwest wind between 38 and 43 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible

NW isn't the worst, but 60MPH gusts from any direction will shut down the tram.