• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Boot Frustration, Online Buying, blah

tcharron

Ok guys and gals. Since I sold my old boots I need to get a new pair very soon, and I've been shopping.

What I've found while shopping just confuses me, and the sales guys don't help all that much. I'd go get fitted right and the such, but I just don't have the cash to sink that much money into new boots right now after getting all the kids and the such all suited up, season passes, etc. I know, I know, it's important to have a good boot. Hence why I'm asking.

I've tried on some Fischer's that fit well, but they where really stiff, and where more a racing boot. Personally, I'm not interested in racing or blazing down the mountain as fast as possible at all. What I AM interested in is going thru trees, more 'off the trail' stuff, basically, fun skiing. By fun I DON'T mean cruisers, even tho they are also in the equation at times.

For stuff off the beaten trail, intermediate wise, is stiff what I want? I know I don't want anything too soft, which many starter boots tend to be, but does it transition from soft beginners to stiff intermediates?

Here are some examples of boots I've found interesting thus far, at least on ebay from a seller I've heard VERY good feedback from, including some people here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Lange-Frees...1064754QQihZ002QQcategoryZ16061QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Lange-Fluid...6881584QQihZ002QQcategoryZ16061QQcmdZViewItem

Before I buy any of the above, I'd want to try on a Lange boot, which I haven't yet. Pretty much all but.

Simular to my old ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DALBELLO-PRX-7-...ryZ16061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll shaddap now. What are peoples ideas, comments, suggestions, questions? I'm just trying to gather information as to hat to look for. The more data, the better.

freebie

I would not skimp on boots, having boots that hurt can really ruin a day on the hill, I learned this lesson the hard expensive way, buy a decent boot that fits snug and pay a fitter to get them right where you need them, I just got my first custom fitting and it made a huge difference in my skiing, only have one day on them so far but much better performance out of a boot that before fitting was really a little too stiff for me, just my .02

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If you don't know what type of boot you want, you are better off throwing darts at a dart board. If you don't want to go to a boot fitter and need to shop online due to price, at least buy from a retailer that allows returns rather than get stuck with something from eBay. Another thing to consider is boot sizing varies from one manufacturer to the next so even if you have your current mondo size it might not be the same if the shell doesn't fit with a different manufacturer. If you get many responses from this thread, you should discount all but the most generalized one's, IMO.

BeanoNYC

I think your better off paying a bootfitter a few bucks to measure your feet, check out the width and recommend a boot and size to buy online. If at a later date you decide to go back to the bootfitter for some adjustments you do it at your wallet's convenience. Just find a bootfitter, such as Jeff Bokum, who is independent of a store and just does the fittings.

Last edited:

ccskier

If you are looking at Lange boots, I would not buy them uless you try them on. They are very, very narrow. Good luck

Unfortunatly due to Christmas and some other unanticipated expenses, 150-250.

I bought a 2 year old model Atomic Boot for $199..they're not as still as a race boot but they have lots of good microadjustments..I can't justify dropping a grand on ski boots..every pair I've had has been good..When there packout..I might get custom foodbeds though..

wa-loaf

If you are looking at Lange boots, I would not buy them uless you try them on. They are very, very narrow. Good luck

Narrow boots can be stretched out at least. You are pretty much screwed if you get something too wide. No idea what you have for feet.

tcharron

If you don't know what type of boot you want, you are better off throwing darts at a dart board. If you don't want to go to a boot fitter and need to shop online due to price, at least buy from a retailer that allows returns rather than get stuck with something from eBay. Another thing to consider is boot sizing varies from one manufacturer to the next so even if you have your current mondo size it might not be the same if the shell doesn't fit with a different manufacturer. If you get many responses from this thread, you should discount all but the most generalized one's, IMO.

Generlized responses is what I was looking for really. Things like 'BTW, Lange boots come really narrow.'. :-D Thanks for the input guys.

snoseek

Go to a store like play it again sports and try on every pair in the store. You may luck out and find a good fitting pair of boots for very short money. There is something to be said for broken in ski boots.

snowmonster

Bought a pair of Langes recently from Steep and Cheap and they came out at around 250. Good boots too (WC 120). Yes, they are narrow and I recommend that you fit them before you buy. Places like sierrasnowboard.com and outback.com allow you to return the products in case of size issues. I was lucky when I made the online purchase since I was able to actually shell-size and walk around in a pair of the Langes that I wanted to buy.

bigbog

...for skiboots...

....Do a shell-fit in as many known boots as you can..even if they're not the boot for you....to judge other boots by (at least as a place to start)..then you can talk to boot guys on the phone(Wherever!) and get a feeling for where their descriptions are coming from....ie ask them about boots you've tried on in comparison to boots X and Y.....
Just one way to go about it...

Last edited:

tcharron

Well, glad I shopped around! :) I ended up getting a REAL nice deal on a pair of Atomic boots. After trying out moocho many different boots, I found the atomic boots ALL pretty much felt comfortable the second I put them on.

Even better, I got a pair of current year M100's for like $299 from Ken Jones/Proctor Jones in Nashua.

df081aa217.jpg

Mildcat

That's great you found a pair you like. When are you going to take them out for their maiden voyage? Let us know how they work out for you.

tcharron

...nice to have a good fit eh'!!??

Until I wore those boots, I'd seriously never had a boot feel so suited for my foot. And the fact that I was able to get a good deal on the M100's instead of the B90's I was originally looking at was the bomb.