• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Camera!

awf170

Yay! Just ordered it today, so hopefully I'll have it time for this weekend. If not though at least I have it in time for spring skiing on Washington.

Here it is:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=15207
canon-s5-is-fr-400.jpg

awf170

Didn't you get a new camera already this winter? :???:

Nice choice!

Nope, I had a Canon a620 for the past two seasons until it finally crapped out on me a month ago. I borrowed a camera for my Chic Chocs trip if that is what you are thinking of. :???:

Now, I just have to figure out a way to carry it since I hate skiing with a backpack.

bvibert

Staff member
Looks to be a bit bulky to fit in a jacket pocket... You could always just wear it on a strap around your neck... :dunce:

awf170

Did you consider Canon SX100 IS ?
I'm not saying it's a better or worse choice, just wondering what made you to pick S5?

No view finder. No optical zoom during movie mode. No Custom mode (my biggest gripe). Also the S5 can take pictures while filming a movie, I'm pretty sure the SX100 can't do that.

hiroto

Now, I just have to figure out a way to carry it since I hate skiing with a backpack.

I have S2 and I like its video capability but I never thought of taking it for skiing. It is way too bulky and actually bigger than my video camera. I'll be curious how you ending up carrying it.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
I have the S3 and I use mine mainly for shooting telemark festivals so it is on snow a lot. I'd recommend getting an adapter tube and UV and/or polarizing filter from Lensmate. It adds protection for the lens and needed polarizing filter for bright light shots on snow.

Taking stills while shooting video will cause a noticeable pause in the video. It's not bad, but definitely not seamless.

I have a case that I clip to my camelback pack and run through the hip belt so it's secured in two places.

-dave-

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good choice. I love both of my Canons. I have the Rebel 2000 and the Powershot A570 IS. So this model takes lenses and is like an SLR?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
No, it's not like an SLR. Many P&S cameras will take add-on lenses; wide angle and telephoto. They just magnify or widen the existing glass, they don't replace the original lens. I haven't added any lenses, just filters.

Additional lenses will cut down on the available light going to the sensor, and if you get too aggressive (like a 2x telephoto) things get ugly. But the flexibility is nice.

awf170

NVM about the new camera, the good old A620 is going to make a come back.

I ended up ordering the S5, then noticed that canon some times gives great deals on refurbed cameras when you send your broken one in. Then got my card rejected ($50 short). So then I sent the A620, got no good deals offered at all (just some crappy a5**) but the repairs were only a $100, so ended up doing that. So long story short, I'll have my camera back by monday, and will hopefully have some pics up by thursday.