• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Car Decision

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Just tossing this one in there for consideration: Dodge Journey. Not an SUV but a cross-over

Fairly new model (2 years in the making now?) but it has available 3 row seating, V-6, AWD, auto stick, DVD, nav, sat radio, all kinds of interior storage, side-curtain airbags and a 5-star crash rating. We have 2 kids, ages 8 and 4 and the 5-seater hauls them and their gear comfortably. The 7-seat option was only $1k extra, but they didn't have one in the color we wanted and the special deal was only on "on the lot" vehicles. We picked up a 2010 model last November for around $22K, sticker price was around $26k. The Dodge dealer also sold Chevy, and I couldn't touch a similar vehicle in their lineup for much under $30k. We've had good luck with our last Chrysler product, so it was a no-brainer for me.

That being said, I abused the heck out of my company pickup - a 2005 Ford F-150 2wd extended cab - for 197k miles and aside from the wearables (tires, brakes and rotors, shocks, ball joints) it was pretty much maintenance free. Just a transmission output shaft sensor (at 140k) and an tranny cooler line at 190k. It did like to eat rotors every 70k but that may have had more to do with hard stops from highway speeds while loaded (I did say it was abused).

wa-loaf

Has anyone looked at a Ford Flex? They seem nice and roomy, come with AWD, seat 6 or 7, and are pretty economical.

Edd

Has anyone looked at a Ford Flex? They seem nice and roomy, come with AWD, seat 6 or 7, and are pretty economical.

A few of us rented one for a week in Utah 2 seasons ago. I have to say I didn't mind driving it a bit. The interior is vast and has a good quality feel. It's a heavy car and a bit floaty but you don't buy it for handling. I didn't get a chance to drive it in snow. It's too much car for me but if I was looking at cars in that class I would seriously consider it.

Sky

The funny (or funnier) part is watching that vid, then reading the Ford Flex thread. Same path, different delivery modes! "You're not listening". HA! "She could do the work herself with an impact wrench" Awesome!

I was looking at a replacement SUV...I', @ 178k in my 02 Blazer. It's running well but the next time I need to make a repair equivalent to a car payment...I'm launching.

So I've been checking intellichoice.com. Up to a month ago, it gave a nifty little status of (five-year) ownership costs. But the site is different now and (to me) less helpful. AND...as with all other sources, you must "consider" who pays their bills.

I like the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave. The Edge seems like it's a tad small for my purposes. Good luck with the search. Happy Hunting and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

hammer

I'll be looking at a replacement for the Highlander in the not too distant future...and after towing a 2000+ lb pop-up camper with it I think I'll be leaning towards a body-on-frame SUV. Won't like the daily commute as much but I'm hoping the towing will be easier.

ctenidae

I was behind a Tesla coming in to work today. Took me a while to realize what it was.
I take it as a good sign, since they're apparently making deliveries now.

Glenn

I'll be looking at a replacement for the Highlander in the not too distant future...and after towing a 2000+ lb pop-up camper with it I think I'll be leaning towards a body-on-frame SUV. Won't like the daily commute as much but I'm hoping the towing will be easier.

Look into a Grand Cherokee. They're a uniframe, but they'll get the job done. The 2010's are the last of the WK bodystyle. I'm thinking the 4.7 V8 will help with towing. The 3.7V6 may be a bit underpowered.

The 2011's are really sharp looking. The V6 will put out 290 hp....I can't recall the torque specs offhand, but they're not that far from the hp #. Impressive numbers for a 6. They'll be offering it with an 8 as well.

skijay

If you buy a Saturn Outlook, make sure that there is an Authorized Saturn Service Center in your area. Not all GM dealers are and they may or may not honor the Saturn / GM warranty. From what I found out, it is the dealerships discretion to do warranty work it if they are NOT one of the service centers.