• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Hampshire State Police

nelsapbm

It is my understanding, in Vermont anyway, that a police officer can pull you over if you are out of jursidiction. I believe they radio to the proper jurisdiction to see if they want to take it from there.
I can find out for sure (for Vermont) if inquiring minds want to know.

ctenidae

Maine and NH have jurisdictional agreements along the State's border .. if a townie or state police are in pursuit.. jurisdiction is automatically granted. same goes for the Game Wardens too on the lakes and Rivers on the border.

I agree, it is possible to get pulled over, but it's not probable, unless you're doing something really stupid. Cops don't like paperwork any more than the rest of us do.
In Arkansas, State Troopers are strictly confined to the highways, and all other law enforcement is strictly denied the highways.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Probably because he's worried about "instant on" or LASER...
The troopers in Mass are big fans of laser in the western parts of the state. They get real crafty too, positioning themselves just around the corner or on the other side of a rise in the road. By the time you see them they've already checked your speed. Especially popular on the western stretches of route 2.

People that hit the brakes are idiots. Drive the speed limit or 5 over and you don't have to worry. Mass troopers seem to spot you 8-10 miles per hour over, though your mileage may vary. Town cops on the other hand..... I knew a guy who was stopped for 25 in a 20 mph school zone, another kid stopped for 38 in a 35, and I got stopped for 45 in a 35 but lest than 150 ft from a 50 mph zone. All in Hubbardston, MA. Ticket happy in that town for sure..

kbroderick

Just double checked with a police officer I know, and yes, in Vermont, police have state-wide jurisdiction.

Just to expand on that, my understanding is that there's a state-wide certification involved, and any officer who has been certified by the state police academy and is employed by one of the police agencies in the state is then a law officer anywhere in the state and can enforce state law wherever he or she may be. However, this only applies to state law, unless there's a specific agreement in place for municipal law (which is why Burlington passed an ordinance a few years back allowing the UVM Police--who already had statewide jurisdiction on state law--to enforce municipal laws, including noise ordinances).

kickstand

By the time you see them they've already checked your speed.

People that hit the brakes are idiots. Drive the speed limit or 5 over and you don't have to worry.

to take both of these thoughts amd sum it up, the cops have already bagged you by the time you hit your brakes. Slamming on your brakes when you see a speed trap is not only dangerous but pointless. Besides, the cops want to folks who are driving excessively and recklessly, not the guy who is doing 10 mph over the speed limit and driving in control and in the lanes he should be traveling in.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
From one of the best movies ever

MILLER
I think a lot about this stuff.
I do my best thinking on the bus.
That's how come I don't drive.

OTTO You don't even know how to drive.

MILLER
I don't want to know how.
See?

The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

Paul

From one of the best movies ever

MILLER
I think a lot about this stuff.
I do my best thinking on the bus.
That's how come I don't drive.

OTTO You don't even know how to drive.

MILLER
I don't want to know how.
See?

The more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

He was too, you boys... I installed two-way mirrors in his pad in Brentwood, and he'd come to the door in a dress.

C'mon, let's do some crimes...
Yeah, like order sushi, and not pay...

United Fruicake Outlet???

I could go on and on.....

hammer

I could go on and on.....
I have to throw in my favorite...

"Whoa, that was intense!"--Otto
"A repo man is ALWAYS intense."--Bud

Also, I've traveled to the Rockville, MD several times on business, and I'm always careful about my speed there.

nelsapbm

To those who think that the troopers are only after tourists...I was over in St. Johnsbury last night and on the drive over here this morning there were 4 staties between Montpelier and Burlington. Don't think they're going after the tourists..............

Anywhoo.....bring on the snow!

ctenidae

To those who think that the troopers are only after tourists...I was over in St. Johnsbury last night and on the drive over here this morning there were 4 staties between Montpelier and Burlington. Don't think they're going after the tourists..............

Anywhoo.....bring on the snow!

On a similar note, on the way up to Loon yesterday,we saw 6 troopers, all on the southbound side. On the way home, there were 9, all on the northbound side. So, my theory is that they're just as effective getting people to slow down just by being seen, and they don't want to discurage people from coming up to spend money skiing, so they sit on the other side.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
That's getting a little off-topic....

20060419-RM_JFrank_Cop.jpg

snoseek

mass. driver seem to think nh police are after them exclusivly, but they are really after unsafe drivers, which is usually from mass

Bumpsis

mass. driver seem to think nh police are after them exclusivly, but they are really after unsafe drivers, which is usually from mass

Usually from Mass.?? I take umbrage with that statement. I'm absolute sure that every state has its share of irresponsible drives. When I'm in VT, it's the NY and CT plates that whizz by me in great numbers.

This past weekend I was on 93 (trip to Cannon and Burke) and I was saw PLENTY of less than safe driving (speeding, tailgating) done by NH plated vehicles. I was especially amazed by the number of snowmobile trailer towing pickups that were hauling like the proverbial bat out of hell. I was keeping a mental track of these and just about all of those where from NH.
I generally keep my speed to under about 65 - 70 mph (weahther and road conditions permitting) since I really don't need any surcharges on my insurance, and at times I really feel like I'm a slow poke.
I'd be seriously in favor of imposing a huge tax on gas. Probably a $5 per gallon would bring a bit of sanity to the highways.

klrskiah

I generally keep my speed to under about 65 - 70 mph , I really feel like I'm a slow poke.

Well, no wonder people go flying past you :wink: i don't mind if people go 90mph on the open highway, whatever, but when they start cutting people off or pulling stupid moves to try to get one spot ahead on a crowded road AKA all of Boston! where are the cops then?