• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Product: The Mountain Collective (TM) Pass

deadheadskier

Staff member
If it's 2 days each, then it's an exceptional deal. Even it's just two days at only 1 of the resorts, then 50% off everything after that; it's a no brainer to buy IF you plan on taking two ski vacations to some of those areas depending on their pricing structure.

Take Aspen for example. Say you're a wealthy family from Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, San Fran, LA etc. who has a condo in Aspen and only skis two weeks a winter; Christmas and February school vacations weeks. Many "skiers" I've met who are from such places that still live there year round instead of in locations closer to ski areas tend to be very wealthy and that is their ski season. My girlfriend in college was/is such a person. She comes from a very wealthy upbringing in Atlanta and pretty much all of her friends come from a similar upbringing and they all still ski two weeks a winter in Aspen.

Heck, there's a significant population of "skiers" from Boston and NYC where their ski season consists of spending the two holiday vacation weeks at Northeastern areas and no other skiing than that..

Walk Up Lift ticket cost for two 7 day trips to Aspen during the holiday weeks for next season would be $1155. Season pass isn't a smart/viable option for these people at $1549 for the early bird rate. If you were to buy this Mountain Collective pass, lift tickets for the same two 7 day trips to Aspen for next season would cost $973. So, you're saving almost $400 per couple for the season. That's dinner for two with a great bottle of wine at one of the best restaurants in Aspen.

Even at just 2 days free vs 8, there is a small, but not insignificant market for the Mountain Collective pass. I'm sure numerous people in that market will buy it if Liftopia markets it correctly. Hell, their marketing is already working as I'll most likely share this info with my ex girlfriend. I'm sure she and her friends will jump on it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think you're missing the key dependent clause:

Right, but it could be interpreted as "2 free days" and 50% off at all resorts. I'm not the only one confused about this as you can see.

And FWIW my local NPR station ran a story on this and said "2 free days at each resort."

thetrailboss

Staff member
East coast version for me would be: Stowe, Sugarbush, MRG, Cannon, Wildcat, Sugarloaf, Whiteface, and Sunday River.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
East coast version for me would be: Stowe, Sugarbush, MRG, Cannon, Wildcat, Sugarloaf, Whiteface, and Sunday River.

If they could get Boyne onboard, it would be sweet. I was just going with the independants. MRG is one that I doubt would participate. Same with Stowe, you don't see them offering many discounts or promotions, honestly because they don't have to.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I honestly wouldn't buy that product for the East Coast at that price. There are ways already to ski that many different EC areas for cheaper (including expensive places like Stowe).

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I honestly wouldn't buy that product for the East Coast at that price. There are ways already to ski that many different EC areas for cheaper (including expensive places like Stowe).

I would, because I don't live in the area and my wife is a teacher, so I only ski weekends and holidays. $43.75 average lift ticket? I'd jump at that opportunity.

AdironRider

Confirmed with the wife its two tix per resort.

She did mention they (at least JHole) are using this as more of a marketing tool, arent expecting it to drive much revenue, and hopefully get some heads in beds during slower periods as a bonus.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't see it as ideal for anyone unless you plan on flying to all of the areas. If you live in Tahoe, one would buy the epic pass instead.

Must be August because everyone, including me, is nitpicking this thing to death. :lol:

It would be ideal for someone who would do a ski trip to Tahoe, and then JH, and then Alta. Not many, but some as DHS said.

And hell, it is tempting for me because I am 30 minutes to Alta, 4 hours or so to JH, and a short and cheap Southwest flight to either Denver or Reno/Tahoe.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the population of people who could use this type of deal is bigger than people think. The situation I described is how many people in warmer climates participate in the sport. They take a couple of week long trips per season.

snoseek

Man so tempting but I have vowed to myself to stay in Tahoe as much as possible this winter. I'm going with epic and squawlpine and banking on some snow. I spent too much traveling last winter and need to behave (a little)