• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ski House for Rent

Smellytele

I rent out a place in Maine for a week for the last 2 years and already booked for next. It has been owned by the same family since about 1950. Found it on VRBO though.

cdskier

Yeah to me this is an ideal situation. Money stays local and its.overall a better experience. I don't like eating out much these days and cooking my own food is awesome

And to be very transparent, in my example we've even cut AirBnB out of the picture and I just rent direct from the owner now. So even more money staying local. But without AirBnB I would have never found this place.

zyk

Yeah to me this is an ideal situation. Money stays local and its.overall a better experience. I don't like eating out much these days and cooking my own food is awesome
I agree. kitchen is key and it's not always tourism. My wife stayed in one for work. Was supposed to be a month, but ended up being four. Her company wanted to put her in a cheap motel... She struck a deal with the local owners and they loved having her there.

eatskisleep

I’m willing to bet almost everyone on this board complaining about AirBnb or STR’s etc has stayed at one. If you haven’t, maybe you should try and you might not complain as much next time :)

BenedictGomez

I’m willing to bet almost everyone on this board complaining about AirBnb or STR’s etc has stayed at one. If you haven’t, maybe you should try and you might not complain as much next time :)

Whether X number of people here have or have not stayed in an AirBnb makes no difference to STR effect on local housing. In fact, if everyone here is a user of AirBnb it only helps prove the point.

thebigo

We originally found our seasonal rental via VRBO. Located an elderly couple that used to spend a couple weeks in Florida. House is a log cabin on top of a mountain that while gorgeous requires regular maintenance and is a fortune to heat. Now they spend three months in Florida while I look after their house and heat it with wood. He sends me a regular list of chores, I don't mind because the price is extremely reasonable and they allow our dog. Situation works out perfectly for both parties.

crank

Like many I have been renting condos and houses in ski country for ski weeks and long weekends for decades. Lake and beach houses in the summer as well. It's a tad easier now with VRBO and Air B&B etc. I am thinking it is a bit more effort for owners but they probably also get to keep more $ from each transaction.

Affordable real estate and housing for seasonal employees in resort towns has been an issue since I was a ski bum in Park City on the mid 70's.

jimmywilson69

well that is what nearly 8% mortgage rates will do... once the prices start to fall, the "investment" speculators and corporations will start think about how long they are really in for that game. Those that bought with a 3% mortgage and in are in for the long haul, probably won't sell at a loss.

crank

A lot of CEOs are pushing for people to come back to the office. My wife works for a large corporation that is looking at every remote worker and questioning, "Can this job be offshored?"

Thinking that a percentage of remote workers who moved to the hills during pandemic time may have to be moving back to the city.

zyk

A lot of CEOs are pushing for people to come back to the office. My wife works for a large corporation that is looking at every remote worker and questioning, "Can this job be offshored?"

Thinking that a percentage of remote workers who moved to the hills during pandemic time may have to be moving back to the city.
Already seen this among people I know. Often it's 2 days in, 3 out or the reverse. Granted they didn't run for the hills as they were already there. It was not making a 1+ hour commute every day that was the bonus. Still possible to do a couple days while on vacation to save vacation time.

Maybe in a ski house ( to stay on topic). We're doing this next week in northern Vermont in a condo.

Smellytele

My brother in law moved to Florida but then his company said he had to be in the office in NH 1 week a month. He has a house here but it is on an island on a lake they drain for the winter. Really most of fall too. He isn’t very happy and May retire at 54.
I had 3 kids, he had none so he has money.

BenedictGomez

Yup, I'm pretty much just waiting to be laid-off! It's easy to target the remote workers in a layoff, also probably better internally politically. Plus, the managers hate remote work because the perception is, are they really managing X number of people or more like X - Y number of people? And if they're really not in a "boss" role with these remote folks truly "reporting" to them, then do we need those managers? The other issue is real estate; some companies want the workers back to justify their long-term (usually 8 to 10 year) leases of gigantic office buildings that look completely ridiculous in an efficiently working remote-work world. I know my company HQ does!

cdskier

If you can't trust someone to work from home you can't trust them to work in the office. They'll find ways to screw off and be unproductive there too...
Yup...the same people that historically never did shit in the office are the same people that also don't do shit WFH.

Officially my company wants people in the office an average of 2 days a week. In reality based on what I see when I go to the office...that isn't even close to happening. When we had a big townhall a few weeks ago there were people I ran into that said it was their first time in the office in months. I think one factor is most people have non-local managers. So the managers don't really even pay attention to how much their direct reports are in the office or not.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you can't trust someone to work from home you can't trust them to work in the office. They'll find ways to screw off and be unproductive there too...

Not to contradict my prior statement, but I'm at about 75% agreement with this.

Outside of working restaurant gigs at night for a few years when I went back to school, I've worked in remote sales jobs since 2007. All of these jobs I'm on the road about 75% of the time and 25% in my home office. It was a big adjustment at first. Not the WFH setting or travel, but just being alone for the lack of a better word.

It was just different having to generate 90% of my motivation to be productive on my own vs my old career in hotels where I was constantly interacting with other people in person and motivating each other about various tasks. It's a little different having coworkers around you constantly and talking about what needs to be done vs pre-scheduled discussions or trying to get other workers on the phone back then or on Teams now.

When the pandemic hit, our corporate office in NJ went completely dark for a year except for warehouse operations. I'd say now we are at about 60% capacity in that office from where we once were. And I would say our service both internal and external is not back to what it once was. People from marketing or accounting that I need to talk to aren't as available as they once were / pick up the phone less frequently. Customer Service and Technical Support isn't as professional as it once was. Some of this is technology investment related such as home phones not being as good as the office. But I also sometimes hear TVs or kids in the background when I call these people. And it's not as simple as just disciplining those remote workers who don't act as professionally during home shifts vs office shifts. We could discipline and fire these folks, but the pool for replacement applicants is thin. And there's always tremendous cost in training new people to learn some of the most advanced medical technologies on earth. So, there's a lot more leniency.

I liken slacking off at work at home vs in the office to speeding. People are less likely to slack off / speed when they know they might be spotted by authorities. Human nature

1dog

Two questions:

Will AI software be able to measure productivity more efficiently therefore set a standard for accountability for remote workers?

Are more realistic ( lower margin) earnings reports finally going to ' bring home to roost' companies accountabilities to their shareholders?

Seems tech workers have the most to loose: ( 2nd chart)

Hawk

DHS, as you know sales is a complely different animal. Sales People generaly have commission based salaries and have to work hard to get thier pay or get bonuses. They can work from home or road because that is where it gets done. There are really no lazy sales people. Their productivity is easily measured and bad ones get the gate.

I realize that there are plenty of jobs that can be done from home that people are fine. But I also agree with DHS analogy about speeding. And I also know many people that used to kick ass in my world that just mail it in at home now. I am always asking for things that are late. This was never the problem when I could just walk over and ask where is it.....

Everybody has a unique perspective based on what they do. In my world, the construction world, work from home as been a complete disaster. Drawings coming late, review taking weeks, submittal not responded to, peer reviews don't happen. My work happens in the office, at the job site, at archects office, at my office so at work not home. Also how do you do client events, conferences, meeting new clients at home? You get new work and clients by being in town, meeting people and getting out there which all starts by being in the office.

Whatever, if you can portray yourself as a hard working person from home and you boss in on board with that then you have it made. I certainly do not have that luxury. I never worked from home. Even during the pandemic.

cdskier

I agree it varies depending on the industry and even on the company. In my company the teams I've worked on/with have typically been spread out across multiple offices in multiple states or even countries. My own team is spread out between offices in NJ, PA, MA, and Canada. So walking up to someone's desk to get an answer was not often an option even pre-pandemic. Add in that we've had some form of a WFH option at least 1-2 days a week for years pre-pandemic, so even when more people were in the office there were still no guarantees you'd be there the same days they were. I guess learning how to effectively work with people remotely is something that's been part of our "culture" in my company for a while. It certainly has increased and I can't speak for whether it works for every team. But at least within my team, our work gets done. There was one person on our team that tended to be the weak link and took forever to get responses from, but that was the case for years even when we were in the office more. And now he's on another team and not our problem anymore.