• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

new wheels -kinda of

MrMagic

New wheels kind of, well my parents live out in the woods of ct and their drive way is quite long and dirt and needs to be plowed in the winter, we had an 88 trooper that final blew up the other week, and since I cant put a plow on the Volvo we had to get a truck of pay someone, well it was perfect timing cause I was just about to but this 1977 international scout to fix up next summer, it happened to have a fisher plow on it and well they got them selves plow truck for the winter and I got a big summer/ fall project. For those that don’t know its kinda a weird/ rare truck made to compete with the Jeep, the white top comes off for the summer it needs dome work but not much plan on re-paining it but keeping that ugly 1970’s color scheme
its my first rehab so if any one has any ideas or suggestions please ...

CIMG2675.jpg

CIMG2674.jpg

CIMG2673.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like it's in pretty good shape. Keep us updated on your progress this summer!

wa-loaf

Sweet my neighbors had one when I was a kid (in the 70s) and I was always jealous of it.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I do like it. How's the heat?

This is back when these things were all about utility and nothing about luxury. then again, it was at the height of poor quality vehicles (don't know about International)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

This is back when these things were all about utility and nothing about luxury. then again, it was at the height of poor quality vehicles (don't know about International)

I don't know about that Scout, but I have a 78 Jeep Cherokee S that's all about luxury. :D Has A/C and the heat worked pretty well, IIRC. That thing is a beauty and has less than 100K original miles on it, too. I keep trying to get B to fix it so I can drive that instead of the Blazer--they get about the same gas mileage anyway.

MrMagic

the heat is very hot there is nothing luxury about the truck tho it does have a radio as far as quality, the body is just stamped sheet metal but the engine is top notch

Greg

Staff member
Bad ass. My brother had a baby blue Scout Travelall a lot like this one:

1973-Travelall.jpg

But it had a white fiberglass removable top like yours.

jaja111

I had a Scout Travelall as my first vehicle. I miss that thing everyday. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a fiberglass body for it and kept it forever. It had a 345ci V8 and an indestructible drivetrain. Once they get body cancer, it takes off pretty bad. You have an excellent plow truck there.

bigbog

Can be modded beyond belief to bring back its superior off-road status, but that takes a few $$$..but imho well worth it. Much crisper feel than Ford's Bronco..imho..in both steering and overall handling, but not as comfortable = stiff suspension..;-)...but that can always be helped with today's seats/materials...etc... As always...engine, drivetrain(trans/torque/larger-tires), suspension, brakes...first.. Maybe in the minds of the managerial staff it was to copy a Jeep, but the engineers designed a great 4wd vehicle...with a much more unique look..imho. These were around in the mid-60s, with the Ford Bronco... Agree...take jaja111's advice and have any body work done..

$.01

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

AH the old "Corn Binder" Scout -- spent many a good day with a ski buddy back in the day who had one of these fugly brutes :D:D !! It had no luxe and no guts but got us into some great Adk backcountry for XC skiing .

These puppys were icons back in the day, heck every self respecting flannel wearing . bearded gorp/granola eating , 70's adventurer LUSTED for this vehicle.

Heat - oh yeah like an effin inferno or was that from the swagging from our wineskins while we're were XC'ing - don't 'member - don't care -----------------------------BUT good choice have fun with your "Corn Binder " Fugly= Stylin

MrMagic

thanks everyone, the body work will start this spring ill make sure to up date once and a while im ordering some tire chains later this week for ultimate plowing capabilities

Greg

Staff member
Here's a pic of me and my brother's Scout circa 1989 or so. We were gearing up to go backpacking in the Northern Presidentials. Check out the white 100% cotton pants. What was I thinking? :blink: I believe I had a mullet there too. Business in the front, party in the back! :lol:

travelall.jpg

MrMagic

greg thats a great picture both the truck and the pants are very very cool

ctenidae

MAn, memory lane. We had a Travelall, then a '73 Scout, which my brother inherited. Thing had a 1/4 inch plate steel bumper that'd take out big green dumpsters. And a 2500 pound winch that'd line them back up. The Scout was held together with baling wire, duct tape, and Form-a-Gasket. All 8 moving parts worked great.