• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NikWax

thetrailboss

Staff member
YES. I use it. It is water based. Depends on what you are going to clean and waterproof.

For clothing...errr....weather gear, it is the best and cheapest thing. Gore makes a spray, but it costs an arm and a leg (would you expect anything else from WR Gore???) :wink:

As for boots and footwear, I also use the cleaner and waterproofer. I know that Backpacker thought that the waterproofing was not the best in terms of length in between treatments, but it works for me. You can apply it when the boots are either wet or dry. It does not matter. That's nice.

So I specifically use:

Clothing:

Nikwax Tech Wash
Nikwax TX Direct

And footwear:

The appropriate foot cleaner solution.
The appropriate waterproofer (full or split grain solutions).

One thing I will say...DO NOT use liquid detergent (e.g. Tide, etc) with Gore Tex or any other waterproof fabric. It CLOGS the pores of the fabric. Use powder or Nikwax.

Hope this helps.

SKIQUATTRO

I've heard not to use the WASH as it'll also seal up the interior of your jacket/pants which you want to keep breathable!!!!

JimG.

Staff member
I just cleaned all of my shells, shell pants, and windstopper fleeces using the Nikwax Tech Wash. Stuff worked great.

I then used the Nikwax wash in waterproofer on the shells and pants...that stuff worked great too and I have seen no loss of breathability as has been suggested.

Both products are highly recommended.

klrskiah

I used the wash, then the spray-on for my shell / pants. the stuff works good, but still not like new. I put mine in the dryer about 10 min after i applied the spray on. Anyone know if it's better to let it air dry or to put it in the dryer?

Hopefully it won't be put to the test as much as last year!!!!!