• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone use NIKWAX before?

bill9009

I have heard about it before so I picked some up the other day and gave it a try. First you have to use their cleaner, since they say normal detergent actually ruins original waterproofing. Makes sense since detergent is actually pretty harsh stuff. Then you wash it again with the waterproofing stuff. This all takes place in a washing machine, they have spray on stuff but this sounded easier. Then you take it out of the washer and can either let it air dry or dry it in the dryer which actually helps the waterproofing set in better.

I only tried it because I noticed my sessions pant from last year started to wet through on occasion last year, my jacket did as well. I cant say how they will handle in the snow but I wore my jacket out today and it has been pouring here in upstate, ny and the water just beaded off my jacket like it had a coat of wax on it.

Well I will see how well it works in a few weeks.

Has anyone else tried this stuff or anything like it?

By the way it cost $20 for one bottle of cleaner and a bottle of the waterproofing stuff, i bought an extra bottle of the water proofing stuff for $10 because the cleaner can clean up to 6 gaments but the waterproofer bottle is only good for 2-3.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sounds like you either have 'water repellant' material, or stuff that will let water in after some time, or your DWR is gone on the fabric.

The Nikwax CLEANER cleans the material while the TX Direct reapplies that DWR. Best thing to do after rain event is to put in the dryer on low setting...the DWR will melt and spread out again. NEVER use an iron. AVOID laundry detergents.

I've used Nikwax a lot and it works well...just wish that they still made/allowed for the TX Direct wash...easy, so easy, but it coats the inside and outside of the fabric causing big problems in wicking :roll:

bill9009

My sessions pants were 20,000MM Waterproofness, 20,000GM2 Breathability, they were the summit series, but i guess i washed them too much. i did alot of skiing in Va where it was usually pretty warm, so I would sweat alot and that was usually the only layer I had on, so they would start to umm stink after a day or so.
Yeah I realized it waterproofs the inside as well but now that i am back up north where its colder i will be wearing more layers underneath that will provide the moisture wicking.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
thetrailboss said:
Sounds like you either have 'water repellant' material, or stuff that will let water in after some time, or your DWR is gone on the fabric.
Actually, I had the same problem with a GoreTex rain jacket from LLBean. I washed it very sparingly (maybe 2x in ten years) using only powdered detergent, no fabric softener, and I still had problems. LLBean made good on their guarantee.

The counter rep in Freeport told me the best thing to do for care is wash it with NikWax Wash, and then apply the NikWax repellent. he claimed this to be near foolproof, and even thought it might restore my returned coat. After I exchanged the jacket for credit (and bought another one, plus some cheap rainpants :) ) I purchased some NikWax. Have yet to use it, but may do so this weekend if it ever stops raining.